Coopers Community

Yeast suggestion

MitchBastard

The Mexican Cervesa kit yeast is a Coopers ale/lager blend. There is some speculation that the lager portion might be S-189, but who knows. I really like the blend. The lager portion of it makes it more attenuated, so a lower FG, than a lot of ale yeasts. I think the blend suits the kit very well.

Cheers,

Christina.

1 hour ago, MitchBastard said:

Might give the Nottingham a crack. 

Cheers lads

I used Nottingham for the same reasons, when I did the 62 days pilsner. It brewed alright.

Bit disappointed in the hopping though. Brew shop said there were enough hops in the can and to go lightly, so just gave me a teabag of 12g Saaz. Shoulda gone 50g, there's barely any Saaz flavour there. Not left me a great impression of the pilsner, it doesn't taste different from the bog standard Coopers lager, even with added hop.

Maybe related to fermenting lagers at ale temps?

White Labs WLP940 Mexican Lager Yeast

This is reportedly the yeast used by Corona.

A friend of a friend of mine won the Pale Lager category in the state home brewing competition a few years back using this yeast.

I'm not aware of any brew shops in SA that stock White Labs yeasts else I probably would have tried it myself by now. White Labs really rate it highly, as does this friend of a friend.

Cheers,

Lusty.

On 10/23/2018 at 9:00 PM, Norris! said:

I use Mangrove jacks M54 yeast a lot also, as Blacksands suggested. It ferments clean at ale temperatures. M42 and M44 are also really good, as noted, along with Nottingham. I also like the coopers ale/lager blend, a lot.

Except I mistakenly wrote M84 !    ?    -  which is their Bohemian Lager yeast.

On 10/23/2018 at 6:11 AM, Otto Von Blotto said:

What pitching rate is best to achieve the renowned Corona cat piss flavor with that yeast? ?

That would be the maize (corn) influence. Nothing to do with the yeast mate.

I actually got to sample something close to that award winning lager I spoke of, & it was terrific I thought.

One fault (I feel) you have Kelsey is you pigeon-hole your thoughts & beliefs, & brew as such atm.

I would never question your methodology as I look at it as an example on how to improve my own brewing. Respectfully your willingness to branch out & try new things is about the only weakness I reckon you have as a brewer.

This yeast strain on your fav Pilsner malt grist would produce something very good, & most unexpected from your standpoint. Your view of this yeast strain & how many believe it impacts on malt grists comes from biased/uneducated viewpoints, mostly from those that have never even used the yeast strain on a brew.

Cheers,

Lusty.

That's all well and good but I was only taking the piss. I wasn't trying to suggest that great beers can't be brewed with that yeast.

I brew what I like drinking, and what I think I might like drinking. There are styles I know I don't like, and other different flavours that I don't want in my beer. As such I see no point in brewing such things. It may appear to be an unwillingness to branch out, however the reason behind it is trying commercial examples at various times (I just don't really post about it) and deciding they're not something I want to have 20 odd litres of at home, and also experimenting more early on and figuring out what I enjoy the most. 

In terms of yeast, there's also a cost factor involved with liquid strains being around $14 a pop, so when I find a yeast I like that works in a couple of different styles I keep reusing it until I decide it's time to replace it, and then I'll try something different if I feel like it. I don't have much storage space for hops at the moment either so I just use up what I have then order some new varieties along with ones used in regular recipes.

I don't have as much money for brewing related expenses as I used to with renting and saving for a house, car loans, shopping and all the other shit, so there's gotta be some concessions. I'm just happy being able to brew beers I enjoy.

Archived