Coopers Community

Brut IPA

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, RepSpec said:

Its a IPA thats low bitterness, dry style, but high flavour and bubbly? Is that right?

Im curious behind the reason for the style... is it to make the "heavier styles" (ie IPA) easier to drink and more sessionable?

LOL my thought exactly,  why did they even call it an IPA with IBU of 26 :D. I haven't tasted this particular beer but I know the style, big hoppy flavour with a mish-mash of hops, followd by some  sweetness and then a big fat nothing, leaving you there to  scratch your head ? 

And the naming of it LOL - BRUT

3 hours ago, ZedT said:

why did they even call it an IPA 

Because that’s what sells in America. Same as the NEIPA, it’s a hoppy pale, Session IPA is a hoppy pale. But if it’s got those three magical letters......... it sells. 

Marketing at its finest right there. 

Bit of a shame really. They could have called it a bone dry fruity pale ale resembling champagne. Or for short a BDFPARC. That’ll sell right?

?

Reminds me of a bloke who ran a beer store in Melbourne.  He had a particular beer label in stock, which he rated, but it just wasn't selling.  ?

Rather than drinking it himself or placing it in the specials bin, he wrote "IPA" on the top of the front label with a permanent maker - sure enough, it walked out the of the store! ?

18 hours ago, ZedT said:

LOL my thought exactly,  why did they even call it an IPA with IBU of 26 :D. I haven't tasted this particular beer but I know the style, big hoppy flavour with a mish-mash of hops, followd by some  sweetness and then a big fat nothing, leaving you there to  scratch your head ? 

Most of the commercial dry enzyme beers are bittered very low around 12-15 IBU due to nobody in the beer. 26 IBU in a beer with no body would be quite noticeable.

18 hours ago, ZedT said:

...And the naming of it LOL - BRUT

BRUT is a French champagne term meaning "dry". So the naming is quite appropriate for this style of beer.

I've seen a beer of this type coming for sometime now. It was inevitable (IMHO).

I believe there is potentially a HUGE market out there for a beer sculptured around this Champagne-like premise if done well. A lot of women love to drink champagne. Wouldn't it be something if a beer could be created with those in mind that attracts them to drinking beer?

The use of Saison & champagne yeasts &/or dry enzyme with the right hopping & aromatics...the mind boggles at what could be created.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

So I’ve tried to purchase the yeast (Wyeast 1217) however not having any luck as it’s a special strain apparently. 

What other strain should I use in this beer. Something high attenuation and flocculation with neutral flavour.

Im just thinking bigger it and go with WLP001/ Wyeast 1056.

Captain

True true. I’d love to give it a go, i was actually excited about it till I found out it was a special release. 

1272 brings tartness? Hmmm not sure I’d like that in a hoppy pale or similar. But I might try it down the track sometime. 

Captain

On 7/29/2018 at 9:16 AM, The Captain1525230099 said:

True true. I’d love to give it a go, i was actually excited about it till I found out it was a special release. 

1272 brings tartness? Hmmm not sure I’d like that in a hoppy pale or similar. But I might try it down the track sometime. 

Captain

Yeah, I must have skipped past that when I read its description before I bought it. However the high sulphate level in the water probably didn't help either as it causes it to finish drier. I've dialled it back more recently though with better results. Even so, I'll be going back to old faithful for the next 10-15 batches. 

Archived