Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2018

Otto Von Blotto

Ok the Red IPA FWK was pitched yesterday about 12. Was at the beach yesterday afternoon and logging into the Plaato airlock to see if there was much action, went from zero to around 3 or 4 bubbles per minute buy the time i went to bed. 21 hours in and its just begining to show signs of life. 20l batch Nottingham.

Screenshot_20181225-090716_PLAATO.thumb.jpg.f128a6eaf91276f8363c6a5456ad57c5.jpg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nah mate it just measures the temperature of the water you have in the lock. I know my temperture is 18 + or - 1 deg. Have to say though,bubbles per minute is now at 190, so its kicked on since the 9am reading. Im liking this. Really surprised how much co2 has been expelled since start. And total bubble count. I know a lot of sceptics out there about vessel integrity. I know this vessle is 100% leak tight and the only way gas will escape is through this lock. Looking forward to end of ferment to see what it predicted fg looks like.

Just put down a Pilsner that I have been planning for a while. It’s my 3rd beer I’ve brewed and I’m pretty excited, as I feel it’s the first brew that I got right. From the boil and wort chill to the pitching temp; I’m pretty happy with it. Currently in my brewing freezer with temp set to 11.5-12 degrees. Fingers crossed it turns out good.

On 12/26/2018 at 12:00 PM, The Captain1525230099 said:

Is it forked

Yes its forked. Fired it up after a clean and all looked good. Then temperature reading stopped functioning which to be honest i didnt really care about as its reading the teperature of the water in the lock. Then i could not get it to connect today. Got on to support and they are shipping me a new unit, no questions asked. Next unit i will silicon the connection as to be honest i should never need to disconnect. In 6 years of brewing this is my first overflow. Consumed 7 l of headspace in around 38 hours. Nottingham, i should have known better, a great yeast.

2 minutes ago, Titan said:

Yes its forked. Fired it up after a clean and all looked good. Then temperature reading stopped functioning which to be honest i didnt really care about as its reading the teperature of the water in the lock. Then i could not get it to connect today. Got on to support and they are shipping me a new unit, no questions asked. Next unit i will silicon the connection as to be honest i should never need to disconnect. In 6 years of brewing this is my first overflow. Consumed 7 l of headspace in around 38 hours. Nottingham, i should have known better, a great yeast.

I really don’t know whether to be happy or sad for you ha ha ha. 

Glad your getting a new unit. I must laugh though cause you didn’t even get through the first brew.

i mean no harm I just find it amusing.

Mate, was so disapointed. Brewing this for my upcoming wedding and another brewday planned tomorrow. Its finished now at 1.012. Dry hop yesterday with 50g simco. May need to jig my set up around a little as i need to cc this and ferment another. Wine fridge my be pushed into service.

1 minute ago, Titan said:

Mate, was so disapointed. Brewing this for my upcoming wedding and another brewday planned tomorrow. Its finished now at 1.012. Dry hop yesterday with 50g simco. May need to jig my set up around a little as i need to cc this and ferment another. Wine fridge my be pushed into service.

How far away is your wedding?

when I had mine I would have had to brew about 250l of beer, my mates are animals. Luckily I wasn’t homebrewing at that stage.

how many litres you looking at brewing? And types? You got a full plan going on?

Sorry heaps of questions as again, I find it amusing and I’ll look at brewing for my nephews 18th coming soon enough. 

Small gathering on the 19th jan. I have some beers on tap right now. IPA tapped yesterday. Plan is toast wedding with champers, then back to my place for serious food and beer after. Planning to have this Red IPA as one, but not sure of my second brew. Thinking English best bitter as im sure i have all i need. Recipe will be on the fly but maris otter base with some carra and a Munich or Vienna to balance it out. Hopped as per usual bitter with golding and fuggles.

There’s a lot to be said about a small gathering, I thought my wedding was a small gathering and so did the vendor. Consequently the vendor offered us a price including alcohol which I asked them to reconsider. I think they regretted not taking my offer to reconsider their offer. 

100 odd people and 3/4 of them from the north west........ carnage is all I can say..... I’m not proud....... it was instagram worthy!!!!

Cricket's no good, so I managed my first brew back from Xmas hols.

*** Double Hop Shark Attack ***
katy perry left shark GIF

It's happening. 

Brewing was a little rusty (it's been a few weeks) and some minor slip-ups occurred. 🤷‍♂️

Was 2 points under last time but with temp adjustments it's too close to bother worrying.

15 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

3.5 drinks per person? @Titan

Yep, rethink required. Have the capacity to do 3 temperature controlled ferments. This should give me 4 full kegs plus any i have currently tapped. Only a 25-26 gathering. 25% will drive, 25% will drink wine so should be enough for the remainder.

On 12/23/2018 at 5:00 PM, Guvna said:

2 brews in 2 days 😎  Both pimped up kit Pale Ale with hop boils.

Almost the same apart from some variation of hops.  1 has US05, the Other Notty, so will interesting tosee how different they are.

Used up the remainders of centenial for bittering in both and a mix of amarillo, cascade and galaxy for some flavouring.

Looking forward to tasting and happy ther 50 ltrs in the pipeline plus 1 keg nearly carbed for Xmas,

cheers Guvna

Several days later and ...........the US-05 went well and the Notty slightly quicker. both FV's @ 20c

05 - FG 1.054 -  now 1.018

Notty - FG 1.051 - now 1.015

DryHopp & ColdCrash time. 

17 minutes ago, Guvna said:

Several days later and ...........the US-05 went well and the Notty slightly quicker. both FV's @ 20c

05 - FG 1.054 -  now 1.018

Notty - FG 1.051 - now 1.015

DryHopp & ColdCrash time. 

fk yeah. last round notty dropped firm and us05 was yeasty and didnt drop out well. Keen to see how you go, cheers Guv

On 12/29/2018 at 1:04 AM, Titan said:

Small gathering on the 19th jan. I have some beers on tap right now. IPA tapped yesterday. Plan is toast wedding with champers, then back to my place for serious food and beer after. Planning to have this Red IPA as one, but not sure of my second brew. Thinking English best bitter as im sure i have all i need. Recipe will be on the fly but maris otter base with some carra and a Munich or Vienna to balance it out. Hopped as per usual bitter with golding and fuggles.

Good luck with it mate and all the best!!!!!!!

Archived