Coopers Community

What car do you drive, & is it just transport, or love on 4 wheels?

Beeblebrox

Seeing as the be kind to cyclists thread is going strong, but on a bit of a tangent, I thought why not have a thread about cars?

I'm currently driving a silver MY07 Subaru Impreza luxury pack hatch, manual.

SWMBO & I decided when we got married (9 years ago yesterday) that the Hyundai Excel was too impractical, small & unsafe, so rather than get half a dozen toasters on our wedding day, we decided on a car fund to help us upgrade from the bomb to something with a bit more style.

That & the fact I was doing my back in every time I tried to get SWMBO's wheelchair in or out of the boot. We're not getting any younger, & that sort of thing only gets harder to do with time.

Apart from an ongoing wait for parts due to manufacturer issues with the front passenger side airbag (worldwide recall cars fitted with of Takata airbags - the worlds largest car recall)

I have to say I don't have any complaints.

It's a relatively safe car, but at the same time it's obviously based on a rally car, so it appeals to the hot hatch racer boy inside me.

It took a while to get used to the engine sound, as it's pretty different being a boxer engine, but now it's a familiar sound to me, & I can tell whenever I hear a Subaru start up or drive past, even if I can't see it.

I'm really glad we chose to go with the luxury pack too, the leather seats, sunroof, power windows, remote central locking & body kit mean it's as nice to own & drive now as when we first bought it.

It holds its resale value better than some cars, but 9 years in, there's no plan to trade in & upgrade, & that has nothing to do with finances.

If we had our time over, we'd probably still buy the same car, or maybe a Liberty wagon, just so I wouldn't have to lift luggage over the lip in the hatchback boot.

Needless to say, Harry our 8 year old greyhound loves the car even more than we do, & gets really upset when I go for a drive without him.

I'm sure he'd happily spend all day in the car if I let him, but that's just not going to happen.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/business/manufacturing/worlds-biggest-recall-now-53-million-cars-with-takata-airbags-might-spray-shrapnel/news-story/776563a8510b55d42b04fa2b38b025dc

I currently own a VR SS, in tidy condition.

Had it for about 2 years now, it's actually in at the moment getting alternator and brakes/service done. Always loved my V8s and Holdens, owned everything from a HX Statesman to a VX Clubsport.

98WAp6U.jpg

I drive a 25 year old Camry that just won't die! Yesterday the windscreen wiper fluid squirter thing decided to stop working, so that gets added to the list, but everything that counts still runs. It doesn't even break down, it just keeps going. The plan's always been to run it into the ground and then get a nice car.

Don't get me wrong though, I love the car. It's got plenty of personality and my Smashing Pumpkins mix tape is the best.

That was pretty much the plan with the Subaru too; drive it until it dies, but I don't drive it anywhere near as much as I used to, as I stopped working & SWMBO started catching the bus to work a few years ago.

Nowadays, especially after having watched "For the Love of Cars" I can see myself keeping the car & possibly even spending some money on it to restore it if it gets past the point where I can maintain it in its current condition.

The only thing wrong with it other than the recall on the airbag is the rubber seal on the doors, & a few rust spots, which I've manged to get to with touch up paint before it goes too far.

I thought I was happy enough with the car when I bought it, but within a year of buying it we took it down the Great Ocean Road; that sealed it for me, without a doubt it's the best car I've owned.

Some, including family had their doubts about us buying a "new" car, as opposed to an ex demo or used car, but there's nothing like owning a car that you know for sure no one else has thrashed about, damaged in accidents, or failed to maintain properly.

All my previous cars were past their prime, other than the Hyundai, but that was just a cheap light car that did the job, but never felt solid, safe or worth the money I paid for it.

Little wonder that I bought it for $11000, & ended up trading it in for about $3000 only 6 years later!

A used car is not always a bargain, & in many cases, really is buying someone else's problem.

I have a 12 year old Kia Pregio diesel van that I bought in 2011 while I was still doing courier work, to replace my previous one. It comes in handy for transporting large items at times, and was great when I was in the band. Other than that I couldn't care less.. it gets me to and from work and other places, that's good enough for me. More interested in brewing and cricket and what not... lol

I have a 12 year old Kia Pregio diesel van that I bought in 2011 while I was still doing courier work' date=' to replace my previous one. It comes in handy for transporting large items at times, and was great when I was in the band. Other than that I couldn't care less.. it gets me to and from work and other places, that's good enough for me. More interested in brewing and cricket and what not... [img']lol[/img]

I assume you realize, since you're fairly technically minded, that your diesel engine can run on used cooking oil?

All you have to do is get in good with the local "greasy spoon" type places, filter out the solids etc from their manky oil, & you've got either free or cheap fuel!

From what I hear, Vince Jones has been doing that for years, long before the whole clean fuel & reduction of carbon emissions palaver became popular.

Diesel fuel is carcinogenic, whereas if you run your diesel vehicle on what it was meant to run on, which is vegetable oil, you have a much cleaner vehicle, & rather than leaving plumes of black smoke & toxic chemicals, you leave the smell of a fried food restaurant behind you!

Big oil invented diesel fuel, whereas Diesel the man intended his engines to run on much cleaner fuel.

Gday Gents,

Nice choice in car Beeblebrox, I too myself own a Subaru Impreza; 2005 WRX hatch, 5 speed manual.

It's the last of the 2.0L turbo engine prior to the bigger 2.5L.

I totally agree with you, it's quite a safe drive regarding ANCAP rating. I think 4 stars...

The things I love about it:

- Incredible handling,

- Super reliable

- Relatively cheap to run other than me being pedantic and using a little more expensive consumables than regular cars.

- comfortable

- Good engine power (although I got used to it quick and I want more)

- Great breaking

- towing ability I believe I a bit underrated for the wrx, due to it's power and good brakes.

The things I don't:

- aircon doesn't quite get to the back (daughter in the child seat suffers a little, sorry honey)

- I don't drive it enough! Catch the train to work 5 days, riding a bicycle to and from the train... Weekends are the only time I drive it.

And last of all my wife drives an AU Ford Falcon, auto.

3 years ago my grandfather have it to us when his doctor said he shouldn't drive anymore due to poor eyesight and slow reaction speeds.

Anyway it's a good hack car and long distance cruiser.

Cheers guys, well done

Great thread BB :-0

I am also a subaru fan, I am IN LOVE with my 1993 Liberty RS Turbo. Had since 2000 and lovingly cared for but also a daily driver. Modified to produce twice the original horsepower, lowered 1 inch, mods to suspension, anti-roll bars, 4 pot brakes etc, and it still frightens the life out of me and sounds incredible through a stainless 3 inch turbo back pipe to respectable looking twin outlets. I'm not a revhead really but I love being in this beast :-)

15dpder.jpg

Looks like there's lots of Subaru fans here! I especially like your RS turbo Headmaster. And KR, my wife used to have a '91 Camry. It was comfortable and went forever without needing much maintenance, she loved it!

I've got a little Colt Ralliart ... the first 2005 model. Looks kind of cute in an ugly wombat sort of way biggrin Pretty fun to drive for a 1.5 litre hatch though! Mitsubishi did a good job beefing up the pretty average standard Colt ... upgraded engine internals, clutch, gearbox, turbo, intercooler, bigger brakes, bigger exhaust, uprated suspension and sticky Yokahamas. It's not that quick in a straight line, but I'm always surprised how good it is through the corners for a little FWD hatch. Best thing Mitsubishi did was putting in the Recaros from the Evo VIII, they hold you in nicely through the corners.

I've had the Colt for 5 years now and am hoping to keep it for a long time. I don't know if they'll ever be a classic, but I can imagine rebuilding it one day. My wife's crashed it a couple of times and it takes ages to get panels over from Japan, so might be a difficult exercise when the day comes to give it a new lease of life.

Having said that, the Colt doesn't have quite have the charm of my previous Alfas. I had an '82 Alfasud Ti, an '85 Alfa Sprint and an '88 Alfa 33. Loved the sound of their little boxer engines! But no matter how well I serviced them they just kept randomly breaking. Well except the Alfasud ... after buying it in Adelaide then flying over to collect it and driving it back to Canberra, a week later someone went through a give way and wrote it off. Unfortunately the new Alfas don't have as much charm, so I've ruled those out now.

My dream car would be a '67 Porsche 911S, they are just beautiful. But that'll never happen!

Hi fellow brewers,

Just prior to retiring 12 months ago I purchased a new Mazda CX5 Akera AWD as we wanted something that was easier to get into & out of. 13,000 kms later I am still in love with this vehicle, as it can be driven as an auto or manual.

Cheers,

Peter

"Don't waste time, keep drinking".

1984 Toyota Landcruiser Diesel AKA the mobile roadblock.

350,000 Km and only just run in biggrin

Never owned nice (shiny) vehicles, they've mostly been obtained through hand me downs or picked up cheap from people I know that maintained them well. I then continue maintained them mechanically well until they finally depart either from rust or smoky engines.

Love on wheels is my 60 series Tojo, it's a beast in the bush.love

Definitely a Subaru fan.

Had a pretty bad head on, in my old 1999 liberty - legacy (depending on where you come from)

Cruising home with the kids and someone turned right in front of us.....

The car held together so well, you would have to see it too believe it.

We have chosen the Subaru Tribeca now.

Quality car, higher off the ground with all the trimmings.

Still miss my Liberty though.

My car isn't the WRX, isn't turbo, & is really a pretty plain 2.0i luxury pack.

That said, since it's manual, it's easier to get a bit more grunt out of it than if I'd gone with the auto.

I guess the good thing about not having a turbo, other than not having to maintain it, is it keeps my insurance premium down a little.

It's really comfortable to drive, handles great, & as I said earlier, when I took it around The Great Ocean Road, it really proved itself to be the best I could hope for when it comes to road holding & handling.

There wouldn't be too many other cars you could take around there & rarely drop down below 100km/h, even around corners.

Thankfully my car was made after the spate of Subaru thefts involved in ram raids, so it's got an immobilizer & data dots, making it harder to steal, & easier to track if it was stolen.

It was also the last model before they went for the bubble back look, which I think looks a bit derivative, & makes it look more distinctive than the newer models.

So far I've done around 75000km in my Subaru, & it's honestly running just about as well as the day we bought it.

As I said, I don't drive it as often as I'd like or should, but at least every 2 months we go up to the Central Coast to visit my mother in law who's in a nursing home, so that's around a 150km round trip, & I'm sure that keeps the cobwebs out of the engine, so to speak.

Other than that, it's usually trips to the LHBS, hardware, or pet store, all of which are less than 10km away.

I had an '82 Alfasud Ti' date=' an '85 Alfa Sprint and an '88 Alfa 33. Loved the sound of their little boxer engines! But no matter how well I serviced them they just kept randomly breaking. [/quote']

porschemad, have only ever had two cars, the other was an '88 Alfa 33! Have also done about 300,000km on two motorbikes.

I too used to love the style and sound those alfas you mention, and the exhaust note of that 33 was to die for. Sounded like a trumpet crossed with a fireworks display on 4 wheels. I used to love winding down the windows in tunnels and listen to the beautiful noises! I agree the newer alfas, although very good looking in many cases, seem to have lost the soul of the earlier ones.

My 33 went out to pasture when the gearbox died.. I have also fried two gearboxes (on my third) in my liberty, but that is down to too much mumbo and an AWD drivetrain combined with a heavier duty clutch. Lucky you can get ex-japan WRX gearboxes in good nic for about $700!

I like the sound of the Ralliart colt, reckon that would be fun to drive.

There seems to be a Subaru and Landcruiser trend here.

My vehicle is a 1982 HJ60 Landcruiser, 4 speed diesel, 289,000ks, which I have owned since 1987, gave it a repaint for its 30th birthday and it looks great. It will still be going when I die. Ideal vehicle for Darwin, bush trips, towing the boat etc but a bit slow in the city now, the traffic has got faster in the last 20 years!

For the family car we have just upgraded our 2000 Subaru Outback, which we owned for 13 years, to the 2015 Outback Auto Diesel, nice wagon, however much larger physically, needs more care driving and parking. The only problem has been the diesel particulate filter (DPF), part of the emission control system, which starts to block up and a light flashes on the dash requiring a trip to the Subaru dealer. This happens because we only use the car for short stop/start trips. For this type of driving Subaru suggest better off with a petrol but at the time of purchase the salesman did not mention or was unaware of this.

Of course as suggested, you could try running your diesel engine on used cooking oil, though I doubt the Subaru dealer would recommend that, & they may decide to void your warranty if you did so.

In my experience, dealer service centres give good enough service, but tend to overcharge a bit.

There's no reason why you need to take it to a dealer service centre though, much to their chagrin, it won't void your warranty if you take it elsewhere.

They really only recommend you take it to the dealer for service to keep your business, so they can make money off you long after you've purchased your car.

That said, of course they do make sure some parts can only be serviced by the dealer, usually fiddly little things like warning systems & the like.

For some time I was getting an engine warning light in my car.

It turned out it was a more or less redundant part, which would only have been relevant in an auto, though of course only Subaru could reset or replace the part.

My car gets serviced from a mechanic literally just around the corner from me.

So far he's been as good if not better than other mechanics, including dealer service centres.

I usually run my car on ULP91, as I find that using the more premium products don't improve mileage by much & ethonol blends tend to clog up the fuel filter, making it sluggish, & tends to make the car stall.

You've got to love the extra traction you get from a 4wd or all wheel drive though.

Rally racing has really improved the performance of AWD 4 cylinder cars.

OK , Ill buck the trend .....no Subaru's in our driveway!

Currently got 3 cars - Ford falcon BF SR...although needing upgrading soon. I Thinks its my 5th Falcon. Good workhorses with excellent towing for the boat or trailer. Needs replacing as at 165,000 kms and that usually about when we get the next one....Anyone want to buy it?....going cheap!

Thinking I might try a Holden next for something different.

Also have an old Pulsar (1995 I think) - bought it for a temporary replacement for 6 months. Think that was about 6 years ago and like KR - the thing just wont die!!....we've done 50,000 kms with no service, no oil, no water....nothing!

then got a Ford Focus to replace the Pulsar (which I was sure was going to die!) - great little car. fast little manual hatch. Apparently much of the same running gear as a Volvo sports. However the wife loves it too so I rarely get to drive itsad

Now the eldest child is learning in the Pulsar...so looks like Im stuck with it!

• 1 month later...

I've just gotten rid of my 97 80 series cruiser. With 250k on the clock the engine was tired and was using oil. Not to mention replacing majority of the running gear due to age it was tiresome (although I'd never change a thing because I'd wanted to learn mechanical for years prior to this truck and this one taught me most of what I need to know because pretty well everything short of an engine rebuild went wrong over the 7 years I owned it. Made a decision never to use a mechanic once and used the heck out of the Haynes repair manual instead) Here's a list of things of maintenance written down through the years: Alternators (x2) power steering hose, 2x after market brake master cyls (Toyota want $800 a pop, paid $120 am but first one leaked back inside brake booster) brake booster, 2x starter motors (1st after market grinded on the flywheel, removed and paid the $900 for original Toyota Denso, 4x disc rotors, brake pads, tyres, 1x viscous coupler (centre diff locked rear lsd differential) blower motor, heater tap, radiator hoses, brake load sens proportion valve leaking fluid (replaced) crankshaft seal, dizzy seals, speed sens seal, oil pump cover seal, crank vent valve, charcoal evap hoses, wheel bearings, AC pulley, and serviced.. For an 'unbreakable' tough Toyota they sure do break alot. The Denso/Toyota parts are good though because every other aftermarket part I ever used failed soon after or didn't quite mesh with the design causing problems. Then again: what manufacturer is going to put shiddy parts in a car and offer a warranty?

I bought a 2012 SR Hilux TD just last month which has been good. I get 12l towing and about 10 without the trailer whearas the Landcruiser uses 18 per 100.. so it's worth the extra cost for that alone. I like the 4wd's because they tow what I need them to and I don't need a jack to service or replace parts. Just slip on under

the week after I bought the Wife a brand new Mazda.. ! I felt bad getting one for me only. We traded her 8yr old Mazda 6 in and paid the difference for a new 3. I think we'll trade it in after a year or two so we don't lose the money on it. It's a good zippy car. Her old 6 never missed a beat mind you but yoi can bet your bottom dollar it was about to. And probably never stop. Starter motor brushes have limited life. Alternators too, water pumps, thermos, brakes, belts and pulleys, seals. In fact, every moving part will one day fail.

Cars have always been a necessary (financial) evil to me. You just can't win with them. Although. . I do think you may as well have a decent one and trade it every few years save heavy depreciation and driving a sheetbox around while losing the same amount in money cause wear and tear kicks in sooner or later anyway

Like Someguy, I just picked myself up a new Mazda 3. I only have 1500 kms on the clock so far but it is a good little car. I'm boring so I got white.

But the other family car is a fire engine red Ford Escape. It drives like shit but I can always find it in a car park tongue

And like John I always wanted a Porsche 911.

I think you made a good decision on the white Hairy. Or is it that gloss/metallic opal white? You know what ends up happening with metallic paints.. But on this occasion: we had no choice. There were no non-metallic colors to choose from! unsure

They're a good, reliable car that's great on fuel, safe and all the power you need for getting around in modern traffic. Well priced in the market and a COLD, COLD aircon for Darwin

I'm currently driving a filing cabinet. I should clarify and say I have a 2nd hand 2012 Ford Mondeo diesel LX 5-door. Exciting it is not however for our little family it is perfect, it is HUGE, very comfortable, and consumes very little fuel and I can park it pretty much anywhere and nobody will give it a second glance.

Subarus are great, I had a Forester in Michigan for 3 years and have never felt safer in any other car especially in the snow. Sensational build quality too.

Like Someguy' date=' I just picked myself up a new Mazda 3. I only have 1500 kms on the clock so far but it is a good little car. I'm boring so I got white.

But the other family car is a fire engine red Ford Escape. It drives like shit but I can always find it in a car park [img']tongue[/img]

And like John I always wanted a Porsche 911.

We've got a white Mazda three too. It replaced my car when we bought it. Somehow it's become my partners car and I got hers.

So I drive a 2000 model Holden Wagon. I prefer the mazda as it's a manual.

For work I drive a Toyota Yarus. Not too bad actually. You just can't work out at a junction when you pull away if it's going to fly or not. Sometimes you put your foot down and nothing or very little happens.

I think you made a good decision on the white Hairy. Or is it that gloss/metallic opal white? You know what ends up happening with metallic paints.. But on this occasion: we had no choice. There were no non-metallic colors to choose from! unsure

They're a good' date=' reliable car that's great on fuel, safe and all the power you need for getting around in modern traffic. Well priced in the market and a COLD, COLD aircon for Darwin [/quote']

I think there is only white in the range and I think it is called pearl white.

The fuel efficiency is great.

I'm a 4x4 or old skool V8 kinda guy, wouldn't mind getting myself into a new Mustang or Camaro sometime in the next couple of years though.

At present I drive a dirty old 92 Nissan Terrano diesel, not flash but uber reliable, cheap to run, in fact cheapest 4x4 I've ever come across, and it takes me hunting off road and every where else, I did also manage to get the missus into a new VW Golf TDI Highline and think it is an awesome wee car and would highly recommend to anyone.

Lovely little car go's like a scalded cat, it has the 2.0 diesel with the GTD performance chip, and being a highline it has all the luxury features and is super comfy, it has the factory Bluemotion so is dirt cheap to run does around 1200km to a 50ltr tank of diesel.

Archived