Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2016

Canadian Eh!L

Brew day! happy

I haven't done a partial mash since before Christmas (I think?), & haven't used Citra in a brew for quite some time. It's time they met up! biggrin

Blackrock light liquid malt extract 1.7kg

Light dry malt extract 750gms

Ale malt grain 500gms

Aromatic malt grain 200gms

Light crystal malt grain 200gms

Wheat malt grain 150gms

Mt. Hood 10gms @ 60mins

Cascade 20gms @ 25mins

½ tsp yeast nutrient @ 15mins

Citra 15gms @ 10mins

Citra 15gms @ 5 mins

Cascade & Citra 20gms each hop tea

Citra 30gms dry hopped

Re-hydrated US-05 yeast

Brewed to 23 litres

Ferment @ 18°C

OG = approx. 1.049

FG = approx. 1.013

EBC = 14.6

IBU = 28.5

Kegged ABV = approx. 4.8%

It should make for a nice drop.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I produced some really lovely beers with it a few years ago. I did find it a bit too much in a single hopped beer though, hence me using some Mt. Hood & Cascade here.

I'm enjoying playing around with bittering beer in different ways atm using different hop varieties & time frames. It's an interesting area to play around in where bitterness overlaps into flavour.

Not that you Tom Selleck boys would know much about that! tonguelol

biggrin

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Hey Lusty

Citra and Cascade are a good mix, I used a similar hop schedule several years ago in a kit brew and in what was at the time my best beer ever.

Good luck with the brew bud

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

G'day Scottie. smile

Hey Lusty

Citra and Cascade are a good mix' date=' I used a similar hop schedule several years ago in a kit brew and in what was at the time my best beer ever.[/quote']

Isn't it funny how we do this? We brew these great beers & then it takes us about 2 years to realize how great they were, & to brew them again! pinchedlol

Good luck with the brew bud

Thanks mate! happy

Quite a few of the boys are brewing EB's atm' date=' & I recently saw you are one of them. How are you finding your brews these days since the switch to AG? [img']unsure[/img]

We didn't hear much from you during those terrible bush-fires in Tassie recently, so I can only gather all is good in your neck of the woods with family & friends. unsure

Cheers & good brewing my friend. wink

Lusty.

Hey Lusty

Most of the fires were in the North West - ancient forests destroyed a real tragedy. The South is dry as a bone but we have been lucky so far with no fires.

I think I might be the EB man around here, I have brewed heaps. However I do love to brew a Hoppy American after three or four English Bitters. At the moment I have an American and an English on tap, in the Brew Fridges I have two Americans.

AG is great, yet I brewed a great Partial IPA using the TC IPA can, and I now have a K & K down.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

WOO, BREW DAY (tomorrow).

Finally getting around to brewing a Witbier which I've been planning for a while and using up some more of those extract tins I've got laying around.

Grapefruit Wit

3.00kg Coopers Liquid Wheat Extract

0.50kg Oats, Flaked

0.20kg Corn Sugar (Dextrose)

25g Saaz [3.75 %] - Boil 60.0 min

15g Motueka Flowers [7.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min

11g Coriander Seed - Boil 5.0 min

43g Citrus Zest (Grapefruit, Lemon & Lime) – Boil 5.0 min

1.0 pkg WLP400 Belgian Wit Ale

20 litre brew

This is a BYO recipe but I've added the Grapefruit zest & Motueka flowers to give it my own little twist. First time using oats too, these will just be steeped in hot water for 30 minutes and rinsed before I start the boil.

Cheers + beers,

Mark

G'day Mark.

Grapefruit Wit

...3.00kg Coopers Liquid Wheat Extract

0.50kg Oats' date=' Flaked[/b']

0.20kg Corn Sugar (Dextrose)...

This is a BYO recipe...First time using oats too, these will just be steeped in hot water for 30 minutes and rinsed before I start the boil.

I'm not sure of the exact BYO recipe (maybe this one? unsure) you are following but I'm betting you're converting at least part of it.

If you use the oats without mashing it in conjunction with a base malt grain, all you'll end up with is cloudy white starch mixed in with your beer. The base malt grain is necessary to convert those released starches from the oats into a fermentable sugar.

This is a mistake I myself made with an early attempt at adding a creaminess to the Fruit Salad Ale recipe until our ol' mate Philbo Baggins put me on the right track. A subsequent brew using oats mashed with a base malt grain turned out a whole lot better.

Cheers,

Lusty.

I admit I don't know the exact ratio of base malt to flaked ingredient, but am led to believe it doesn't need to be a whole lot.

Just re-reading my old brewing notes, I used 500gms of Pilsner malt grain to 300gms of flaked oats in that second more successful brew.

I would think an equal weight of each would be a safe bet.

Happy to be corrected here as I haven't done a lot of cereal mashing. innocent

Cheers,

Lusty.

I'm also doing a brew day tomorrow, this one is one of the simplest I've ever done I think. It is a SMaSH ale, something I haven't done before. I found some Brown Malt in my goodies earlier as well so when the weather cools a bit I might do a couple of brown ales to use it up. Anyway... onto tomorrow's brew,

I don't really know what I'm calling this, maybe Centenotter Ale. lol

Mashed at 65-66C for 90 mins, followed by 78C mash-out for 10 mins:

5.000 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (5.9 EBC) Grain 1 100.0 %

75 minute boil

20.00 g Centennial {10.00 %} - First Wort 75.0 min Hop 2 23.8 IBUs

7.00 g Centennial {10.00 %} - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 7.2 IBUs

20.00 g Centennial {10.00 %} - Boil 5.0 min Hop 4 4.1 IBUs

20.00 g Centennial {10.00 %} - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 min Hop 5 5.1 IBUs

Harvested US-05 yeast. Aiming for 25 litres into the fermenter. No-chilled, no hop adjustments.

Based on 75% Brewhouse Efficiency;

Est Original Gravity: 1.0475 SG

Est Final Gravity: 1.0090 SG

Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.0 %

Bitterness: 40.3 IBUs

Est Color: 8.4 EBC

Looking forward to this one being ready and pouring!

Cheers

Kelsey

I don't really know what I'm calling this' date=' maybe Centenotter Ale. [img']lol[/img]

I think it's known around these parts as the "Hairy SMASH". tongue

From memory Hairy has brewed this exact malt & hop combo before & rated it pretty highly. cool

I'd expect a really nice beer as a result.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Close.

I have made a Centennial & JW Traditional Ale malt SMASH and a Centennial & Munich I SMASH. My Maris Otter SMASH was with Citra.

The Centennial/Ale and the Citra/MO were both outstanding beers love

The Munich one was a nice drop but nowhere near as good as the other two.

Ha, well there you go.

Yes I remember seeing him post about this combo before, that's sort of what made me go for it as well. I'm guessing the recipes themselves are different but I suppose mine is based around my normal pale ale hop schedule anyway. I will probably dry hop it too.

O/T my old band RocketTrain is down in Adelaide this weekend, at the Enigma Bar tomorrow night I believe. Check it out if you can, they put on a great show. cool

Now, as we were... lol

Edit: I guess we were both mistaken on that one Lusty, must have mixed them all up tonguelol

Brew day is underway here doing the Centennial/MO SMaSH. Currently mashing the grains. Grain mill again went excellent, this time I actually timed it. It took a smidge under 5 minutes to mill the 5kg, but I wasn't running it all that quickly. I'm very happy with that compared to the hour long milling sessions I had previously to replacing the 'lazy' roller with a fluted one. Also much happier with the crush - a lot less flour.

12661869_10208983692618114_3082103356606315123_n.jpg?oh=bcf4e589244c3a3766cbdff932893f2e&oe=573F8E6D&__gda__=1462225316_4e2f45af532402c933fad6ba6b7d29cd

Cheers

Kelsey

Another successful brew day here today. Exceeded pre-boil SG by one point, but the post-boil SG was practically the same. I've started going out to 4 decimal places, mainly because of the way my phone app works out the temp correction (it's just a bit more accurate for working out efficiency and ABV). Predicted post-boil SG was 1.0475, I ended up with 1.0477. So, 1.048 basically, nominal 25 litres giving me 75.3% efficiency overall, which I'm happy with. Getting this consistently now (aside from that English ale) with the coarser crush and constant stirring of the mash. Combined with the mill working well again, it's making brew days much more enjoyable and less frustrating than they had been in recent months. happy

I think I might replace my cubes soon too. Not that they're getting too dirty or anything, but they are expanding a lot more than they used to when filled with hot wort, which is making it increasingly difficult to actually fill them up properly without having to squeeze the crap out of them to expel the air. Maybe I can use the current ones to store distilled water for my pilsners in or something.

Cheers

Kelsey

Thinking about this for tomorrow. Any thoughts?

I'll use MJ's Belgian Wit yeast for this then harvest for a White IPA.

Recipe: FarQ Wit

Brewer: Grumpy

Style: Witbier

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.046 SG

Estimated Color: 5.5 EBC

Estimated IBU: 19.3 IBUs

Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

3.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 1 -

2.00 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 2 -

2.00 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 3 -

2.25 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC) Grain 4 50.0 %

2.25 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 5 50.0 %

20.00 g Hallertau Blanc [8.30 %] - First Wort 60 Hop 6 19.3 IBUs

28.00 g Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 7 -

0.91 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 8 -

56.00 g Lime Peel (Boil 0.0 mins) Spice 9 -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Too many unknowns in that recipe for my current knowledge bank.

The main point of interest to me is how the yeast reacts with the brew. As an example of what I'm thinking, I'd be worried if I was brewing this as a pale ale that the Hallertau Blanc & Lime might have the beer turn out too "winey". unsure

The combo might end up being a stroke of genius, I really don't know. innocent

I'm happy for you to be a Guinea pig on this one! tongue

Good luck with the brew.

Lusty.

I'd be worried if I was brewing this as a pale ale that the Hallertau Blanc & Lime might have the beer turn out too "winey". unsure

BUT' date=' stuff all hops in this and my White IPA had Nelson and was great.[/quote']

Go you good thing Guinea Pig! tonguelol

biggrin

Ripper of a RIPA

-------------------------

Boil Size: 49.93 l

Post Boil Volume: 43.68 l

Batch Size (fermenter): 40.00 l

Bottling Volume: 38.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.058 SG

Estimated Color: 6.7 SRM

Estimated IBU: 50.0 IBUs

Brewhouse Efficiency: 85.00 %

Est Mash Efficiency: 89.3 %

Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:

------------

7.57 kg Pale Malt, 2 row (Gambrinus) (2.0 SRM) 85.7 %

0.79 kg Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) 8.9 %

0.30 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) 3.4 %

0.18 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) 2.0 %

15.80 g Citra 12.50 % - First Wort 75.0 min Hop 13.9 IBUs

31.61 g Nugget 14.50 % - Boil 60.0 min Hop 28.0 IBUs

15.80 g Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.00 %] - Boil 15.0 m Hop 5.7 IBUs

15.80 g Amarillo 6.90 % - Boil 10.0 min Hop 2.4 IBUs

30.00 g Amarillo 9.20 % - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 Hop 0.0 IBUs

30.00 g Citra 12.00 % - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 m Hop 0.0 IBUs

30.00 g Mosaic (HBC 369) 12.00 % - Steep/Whirl Hop 0.0 IBUs

2L starter California Ale (White Labs #WLP001)

2.11 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days)

1 Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out

Total Grain Weight: 8.83 kg

I just hit these two 5 gallon batches with some dry hops.

batch 1

60g Cascade

15g Citra

15g Amarillo

batch 2

60g Cascade

60g Amarillo (leaf)

Should be good!

Archived