Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2016

Canadian Eh!L

Yep... lol No prep tonight though' date=' I'm off up to the local for a few pints and watch some bands[/quote']

equally as good! hope your local has some quality suds for you at least, mine is very disappointing in that respect

• Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hoping to put this one down on Saturday ' date=' will be my first AG IPA. It is roughly based on a recipe for DogfishHead 60 minute IPA. Apparently the Thomas Fawcett Amber malt is essential as it adds a certain resiny flavour and I couldn't source it locally so waiting for my shipment from QLD.

This will also be the first time I have played with water chemistry - I am using packaged spring water that i have the analysis for and using brewers friend software have worked out I need to add 2 teaspoons of gypsum. Looking forward to this one!

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com

Recipe: DFH 60 1.0

Brewer: Ken

Asst Brewer:

Style: American IPA

TYPE: All Grain

Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Boil Size: 30.22 l

Post Boil Volume: 25.84 l

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Bottling Volume: 22.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.063 SG

Estimated Color: 11.8 EBC

Estimated IBU: 65.4 IBUs

Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %

Est Mash Efficiency: 75.6 %

Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Est ABV : 6.5% (before bottling)

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

7.00 kg Bairds Maris Otter (5.0 EBC) Grain 1 96.9 %

0.22 kg Amber Malt (43.3 EBC) Grain 2 3.1 %

23.12 g Warrior [15.00 %'] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 34.6 IBUs

16.51 g Amarillo [9.50 %] - Boil 35.0 min Hop 4 13.0 IBUs

16.51 g Simcoe [14.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 5 17.7 IBUs

0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 6 -

2.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 7 -

28.00 g Amarillo [9.50 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 8 0.0 IBUs

15.00 g Simcoe [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs

Just finished this a while ago. Went quite well. Hit my pre boil grav of 1.052 spot on and my post boil was slightly off at 1.061 (wanted 1.063) but pretty happy with that. Will be interesting to see if I can taste much of a difference from the continuous hopping ( half the warrior went in at 60 and other half every 5 mins until 35 to go , then same with simcoe and amarillo from 35 to flameout) Apparently this is how Dogfish head do their beers so the original author specified that in the recipe so who am I to argue...

Cube should be nice and cool tomorrow morning so will pitch 2 rehydrated packs of 05 and ferment at 18c for a couple of weeks. Can't wait!

Hi All.

First post here.

Thought I'd share this one I put down last week.

Got the idea from another forum and tweaked it a little.

Couldn't resist taking a sample because the smell is driving me crazy and whack.... Its going to be a ripper beer.

1.7kg Coopers Australia Pale Ale

1.5kg Morgans Extra pale malt extract liquid

10g 15min Galaxy

25g 10min Cascade

20g 10min Citra

10g 10min Galaxy

Yeast US05

20g Citra dry hopped day 5

30g Cascade dry hopped day 5

Brew size - 23 litres

Brew Date - 10/1/16

Cold Crash -

Keg Date -

Ferment at 18 degrees

OG - 1046

FG -

Will be interesting to see if I can taste much of a difference from the continuous hopping

Interesting.

Perhaps a side by side with a more normal schedule could be good?

Indeed. Of course, the IBU's will not be as expected, I guess I could go back to Beersmith and make all the individual additions and work it out but couldn't be bothered, I mean I don't make allowances for no-chill so the IBU's would never be totally accurate anyway.

Hi All.

First post here.

Thought I'd share this one I put down last week.

Got the idea from another forum and tweaked it a little.

Couldn't resist taking a sample because the smell is driving me crazy and whack.... Its going to be a ripper beer.

1.7kg Coopers Australia Pale Ale

1.5kg Morgans Extra pale malt extract liquid

10g 15min Galaxy

25g 10min Cascade

20g 10min Citra

10g 10min Galaxy

Yeast US05

20g Citra dry hopped day 5

30g Cascade dry hopped day 5

Brew size - 23 litres

Brew Date - 10/1/16

Cold Crash -

Keg Date -

Ferment at 18 degrees

OG - 1046

FG -

Welcome! You've stumbled across a great forum here ' date=' plenty of really helpful people. And that looks like a cracker of a beer there , obviously not your first one with a great hop schedule like that..[img']biggrin[/img]

Welcome! You've stumbled across a great forum here ' date=' plenty of really helpful people. And that looks like a cracker of a beer there , obviously not your first one with a great hop schedule like that..[img']biggrin[/img]

Cheers Xenon.

Its been a long time but I'm back into brewing.

Only extract and kegging, I wish there was an extra day on the weekend for more beer.

Yes, this does seem like a good forum and I've got plenty of great ideas from here.

Hop Schedule - I cant believe the price of a decent beer now a day.

Why not brew your own for less than half the price, have some fun and drink pure goodness.

Today I brewed the Honky Red, a recipe I put together today after I noticed a new malt at my LHBS.

500g of RedBack malt from New Zealand which is meant to give a red hue to the brew.

Here's a pic of the mash going into the kettle.

IMG_07041_zpsz4mt3ltv.jpg

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Back in Oz now my and beer supply is relatively low. Time to put down a quick beer.

I will doing the TC Preachers Hefe with 1.5 kg liquid wheat malt. I am going to use the kit yeast to see how the new product turns out.

I have used the TC Wheat on a few occasions and it always makes a nice beer that is an early drinker' date=' although I have never used the kit yeast. I am not sure if the kit has actually changed but I understand the yeast is a different strain. Based on the description on the can it looks like it will be similar to WB-06; has anyone on here fermented with it yet?[/quote']

It's great to see some really experienced AG homebrewer's have been brewing with kits lately, myself include. I can think of Scottie as another. In fact, the last tree brews I have put down have all been Kit partial mash brews. The latest being a version of Lusty's Mosaic Amber ale that I put down last weekend.

Lusty's Mosaic Amber Ale

1.7 Kg OS Draught kit

.5 Kg LDM

.5 Munich 10L

.35 Kg Crystal 80L

.2 Kg Carastan 45L

.1 Kg Chocolate malt

5g Centennial 40mins

10g Mosaic 20mins

5g Mosaic 10mins

10g Mosaic F-out

20g Mosaic Dry hop (day 7)

WLP013

21L

Mashed @66ishC for 60mins OG 1.048

It's great to see some really experienced AG homebrewer's have been brewing with kits lately' date=' myself include. I can think of Scottie as another. In fact, the last tree brews I have put down have all been Kit partial mash brews. The latest being a version of Lusty's Mosaic Amber ale that I put down last weekend.[/quote']

Desperate times call for desperate measures tongue

Nah, kits are fine. Most bad beers are caused by fermentation issues rather than the kits. I brew AG because I can and because I like the control I have. Also creating something from scratch is satisfying.

But I made some cracking kit beers in the past and I have some friends making them that I enjoy tasting.

Chad, I didn't quite make it to Golden on my trip. Perhaps next time.

No brew day for me today! pouty

I would normally be putting something new down but I currently have one of those slow lager yeast beers fermenting in my brew fridge.

Damn lager beers! pinched

The planned Porter will have to wait another week. pouty

Ohh well, I guess after edging the lawns, I'll just have to put my feet up & enjoy a few from the keg to pass the time! whistling

biggrin

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Laid down a brew this evening. It is a variation on the Fruit Salad Ale and on my last recipe that I called "Kit and Kaboodle." Because these previous brews have been based on the Coopers APA kit, I have found the end product to be just a little too bitter for my taste, by the time I had done my hopping. This time around I've eased back on the quantity of hops and boiled them for a lot shorter period.

The recipe:

1 x Can Coopers APA

1.5 Kg Light Dry Malt

.25 Kg Light Dry Wheat Malt

.25 Kg milled crystal wheat (steeped for 30 min, then strained and boiled for 60 min)

20g Amarillo @ 50 min

20g Cascade @50 min

20g Amarillo at flame-out

Safale US-05 (full sachet)

23 L FV volume

OG 1.052

Estimated FG 1.013 - 1.011

Brew temp 18C

Will dry hop with Cascade, Amarillo and some Fuggles.

This brew uses the last of the kit goop that I had on hand and from now on I will be using LME and experimenting with hops for bitterness flavour and aroma (unless a ROTM happens along that appeals to me.) So, the learning curve will steepen again for a short while.

Cheers

Brew day for me today in sunny Kununurra!

I'm putting down a Hop Thief 7 clone.

1 x Can Coopers Pale Ale

60 min 4ltr Steep of...

20gm Midnight Wheat

150gm Shepherd's Delight

200gm Dark Crystal

250gm Crystal

500gm 2 Row

15gm Mosaic 10mins

10gm Galaxy 10mins

15gm Mosaic 5mins

10gm Galaxy 5mins

20gm Mosaic 0mins

20gm Galaxy 0mins

20L in total

Rehydrated Danstar BRY-97

Pitched 23 degrees Celsius

OG 1.040

Can't wait to taste this drop!

Brew day for me today in sunny Kununurra!

I'm putting down a Hop Thief 7 clone.

1 x Can Coopers Pale Ale

60 min 4ltr Steep of...

20gm Midnight Wheat

150gm Shepherd's Delight

200gm Dark Crystal

250gm Crystal

500gm 2 Row

15gm Mosaic 10mins

10gm Galaxy 10mins

15gm Mosaic 5mins

10gm Galaxy 5mins

20gm Mosaic 0mins

20gm Galaxy 0mins

20L in total

Rehydrated Danstar BRY-97

Pitched 23 degrees Celsius

OG 1.040

Can't wait to taste this drop!

The Hop Thief is around 5% ABV; you may need some more fermentables to get there. There is also a fair bit of crystal and specialty grains in the brew.

Should still be a nice beer though.

Archived