Coopers Community

Got stung buying mega swill today.

Frosty Chop

So havin a few mega swill drinkers over soon so I though I'd buy some Carlton Dry cans from Uncle Dans.

It's been a year or more so I had to ask where they were and grabbed a 30 block for I think it was about $42 unsure

Get home and grab the block out the back of the Tojo thinking this looks small, take it to the beer fridge and tear it open What The! 330ml cans!

Checked the packaging for labels and couldn't find anything that said great for kids lunch boxes anywhere.

I'm gunna have to break out my collection of 12 fl oz American beer Koozies (stubby holders) and hope they don't disappear into bottom of those.

Since when have we been making local beer in such small cans?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So havin a few mega swill drinkers over soon so I though I'd buy some Carlton Dry cans from Uncle Dans.

It's been a year or more so I had to ask where they were and grabbed a 30 block for I think it was about $42 unsure

Get home and grab the block out the back of the Tojo thinking this looks small' date=' take it to the beer fridge and tear it open What The! 330ml cans!

Checked the packaging for labels and couldn't find anything that said great for kids lunch boxes anywhere.

I'm gunna have to break out my collection of 12 fl oz American beer Koozies (stubby holders) and hope they don't disappear into bottom of those.

Since when have we been making local beer in such small cans?[/quote']

The trend is happening across the board - either size reduction or abv reduction. Pretty sure it's measures against the beer tax...

Let 'em buy their own if that's what they want to drink' date=' you've moved on! [img']wink[/img]

Get home and grab the block out the back of the Tojo thinking this looks small' date=' take it to the beer fridge and tear it open What The! 330ml cans![/quote']

I started laughing about here. lol

Since when have we been making local beer in such small cans?

NC85 has a fairly good read on this from his post.

With the bi-annual CPI increase/tax on cigarettes/petrol/beer' date=' all the breweries just try to keep their brands 'market competitive' through a mix of price point vs taxed ABV% vs volume manipulation. It's that simple.

As a simple example of this, I'm old enough to remember the release of the 'Carlton Cold' branded beer. Back in those days it was a full strength beer close to around 5.0%ABV (from memory [img']unsure[/img] ). Over the years due to the increases through this ridiculous bi-annual CPI based tax, the beer has gone through at least 2-3 transformations to keep it market competitive. Altering the base recipe to adjust it's ABV% at various stages to the point where it now resides at 3.5%ABV, & resembles only a small percentage flavour-wise of what the beer tasted like back when it was first brewed.

Not that I liked it much back then either TBQH, but at least I'm fairly factually correct. lol

And the BIG breweries just sit by & allow this ridiculous CPI-based tax increase cycle to continue, then wonder why their profits diminish further each & every year. Money doesn't grow on trees (well legally anyways! tongue ) & the wage increase vs inflation position almost always has the wage earner falling further behind.

Even with that knowledge, some people still have the audacity to ask me why I'm so pessimistic? rolleyesdevil

You just have to force yourself to laugh. lol

Lusty.

Funny this popped up, at one of the last games of cricket for the season someone brought a carton of Carlton Cold (which is meant to be served at -0C, whatever that is lollol) and I'm pretty sure it was in 330mL bottles, and yes was 3.5%. It was free so I drank some but I must admit I was muchly looking forward to getting home to drink some real beer. I never drank it back in the day so I dunno what it was like back then, but now it's just bland, fizzy yellow water, like most of the megaswill I guess really. tongue

At least sometimes a half decent beer was provided at the games, Cricketers' Arms mid strength pale brewed with Amarillo got a run a few times and wasn't bad. Perhaps XXXX could have taken a leaf out of their book when they came up with theirs because it really doesn't taste much different to normal Gold.

My ex boss used to drink VB. At work too. They cut the alcohol in that but kept the price the same. He was fuming. We fumed because that was the only beer in the fridge. He'd offer them

on a Friday afternoon knowing full well everybody hated it.

I seem to remember Toohey's extra dry being in bigger bottles when it started. But they did a "market analysis" and found drinkers wanted a smaller bottle to be more like a European beer.

So it was changed to 330ml.

My ex boss used to drink VB. At work too. They cut the alcohol in that but kept the price the same. He was fuming. We fumed because that was the only beer in the fridge. He'd offer them

on a Friday afternoon knowing full well everybody hated it.

I seem to remember Toohey's extra dry being in bigger bottles when it started. But they did a "market analysis" and found drinkers wanted a smaller bottle to be more like a European beer.

So it was changed to 330ml.

Right VB so is now 4.2% vs 4.9% it was originally. Use to taste all right then too. Whos to say they don't mix in ethanol with some malt and give it some fizz? unsureIDK

Tooheys Extra Dry is really bad. If it was tasteless it wouldn't be so bad, but it has this nasty aroma that puts me off. VB is better, but not by much. Carlton Cold is terrible now, a shadow of its former self. When I was 18 I used to buy cases of Coopers Pale and Carlton Cold. The Coopers Pale was better (of course), but the Carlton Cold used to have this nice nutty malt flavour that I enjoyed. I don't get any of that now unfortunately. I distinctly remember the day when the bottles and flavour completely changed. So from then on I only bought cases of Coopers Pale biggrin

The trend is happening across the board - either size reduction or abv reduction. Pretty sure it's measures against the beer tax...

Yeah I think so, as Lusty goes on to explain further in his post.

I recall reading somewhere that our (in australia) tax on alcohol is different between wine and beer/spirits.

As in beer and spirits are taxed at a rate based on their alcohol percentage by volume and wine is taxed as a percentage of the retail value of the product, I don't know the figures.

Hence why we find light (low alcohol beer) and mid strength beers generally somewhat cheaper than the the higher percentage ABV stuff and wine pretty cheap by comparison as it's taxed by its value and not ABV content.

Too bad for those of us in the general population who don't particularly like the taste of wine.

They've actually changed VB back to 4.9% now' date=' which happened in the last year or two. It's still bloody awful though. [img']lol[/img] https://www.victoriabitter.com.au/2012/10/4-9-available-now-3/

TEDs I believe come in 345mL bottles, or at least last time I bought one 10 years ago they did. Maybe they've changed now. unsure

Sorry you're right it is 345mL. I did find a link about the change of bottle size before I posted.

Can't seem to find it now though.

One week my boss bought some Carlton Dry as we didn't drink VB. If you think TED is bad never try Carlton Dry.

The answer may be, "Don't Buy Meggaswill". surprised

If it's not made by a locally (Australian) owned company as opposed to "Sith Effriken" SAB Miller and Japanese Kirin Group (Mitsubishi), oh that only leaves Coopers and a range of "Craft Brewers" in each state. surprised

Hey you could brew it your self, at home. wink

Only drink meggaswill if you have to and someone else is paying for it. lol

cheers

I'm showing my age here, but I'll go on anyway.

Clearly the bi annual CPI tax hike has an impact on the cost of beer, as well as the strategies that the big brewers use to try to retain their customers.

From what I can gather, they alternate between reducing bottle size, A/V, & recipe, usually claiming that it was a change that their customers wanted.

I think it's a fair bet if you get a focus group in, ply them with free booze, & give them loaded questions, they'll tell you want they think you want to hear, rather than their real opinions.

Invariably what happens in this cycle; & yes it is a cycle, I've seen it over the past 20 odd years; is that eventually one of the brewers will break rank, re-introduce the original preferred formula/recipe, at an increased price.

The ones that like this particular megaswill (from memory both VB & Tooheys New/Draught have used this strategy), will bite the bullet & purchase their favourite brew, & forgive the fact that they mucked about with the flavour/AV/sizing for a while, & return to buying their preferred brew at an increased price, usually with great fanfare & more advertising than you're used to for that beer.

The sneakiest fairly cheap tactic/manipulation/parlour game that comes to mind was when Tooheys decided they'd do better to market their New (formerly Tooheys Draught in bottles & cans, referred to as New only on tap)on tap, but extra cold; served at about 0-2c at the bar, which meant it was actually at the intended temperature, rather than the usual 4-6c that you get at the bar.

The result? Increased sales, increased interest in an old standard brew, & of course distracted everyone from the fact they'd screwed around with their other brews, like Hahn Ice, TED, & that Tooheys Red mysteriously all but vanished.

For a while there, Tooheys actually made an arguably decent beer in Toohes Pils, which was an unashamed Pilsener, with a good Saaz aroma & flavour, but bugger me if I can find it anywhere these days, it was a "boutique" beer, meaning they were testing the waters with it, & really didn't give it the chance it deserved to get more than a cult following.

Meanwhile, many of the old school dyed in the wool megaswill drinkers remain loyal to their preferred brew, even if they water it down, reduce the A/V, or change the packaging & size.

Those that do notice the difference & object, usually only go to another variant from the brand, or another branded megaswill; e.g. Tooheys New to VB, Carlton Draught, or Hahn Premium.

The big brewers just assume their customers are mugs, & know that the less choice they have, the more likely they are to stick with what they know, that's why so many pubs are owned by the big brewers, or have contracts with publicans discouraging them from pushing anything but their products. It's a psychological trick; most people if offered a vast variety of whatever & see their favourite prominently displayed won't even realize they've made a decision.

Hence it's generally the independent pubs that stock craft beers - some (like my local) even on tap, whereas you'll only find the big beers at most pubs. You might find the megaswill pubs have craft & other beers, but they're in bottles, behind the bar, & usually cost considerably more than the megaswill on tap.

As others have said, if you're absolutely out of home brew, either buy yourself some craft beer or a Coopers, or bite the bullet & get yourself some megaswill, which will remind you of why you started brewing in the first place! IMHO, it would be a rare home brewer that couldn't brew their own beer that tastes better than megaswill.

The only megaswill I wouldn't have any issue buying these days would be Tooheys Old, Tooheys Flag Ale (which is pretty much non-existent, but I did try it once last year and it wasn't bad), and Reschs, which is also pretty much non-existent, up here in QLD anyway. Other than that, unless it's given to me, the rest can stay on the shelves. lol

Very occasionally I will have a XXXX Bitter if I just feel like a quick cold thirst quencher.

Right with you Magnaman, there's nothing like drinking a sub par megaswill beer to make you realize just how much better home brew is!

The mass produced beers tend to be very middle of the road or worse when it comes to flavour, the only reason they're so popular is the fact they're so predictable, & most people if given the choice will go for something familiar, rather than try something they're not sure whether or not they'll like.

They're generally over-carbonated, compared to craft or home brew, which tricks the punters into thinking it's fresh, as they equate lower carbonation as aged or flat beer, whereas of course all megaswill is force carbed, has no variation from one batch to the next, & is bland at best.

There are a few exceptions, but still the vast majority of megaswill is nowhere near as interesting & tasty as craft & home brew beers.

That's what separates the home brewers & craft beer fans from normal drinkers; we're looking for flavour, aroma, mouth feel, & something interesting, rather than just something to gulp down to quench a thirst, or a quick road to inebriation.

We actually enjoy our beer, rather than just guzzle it to get pissed, though of course sometimes we do that too.

• 3 months later...

I got so disenchanted with megaswills (for many of the same reasons that the OP and subsequent posts have covered) that I went over to the Dark Side and drank wine for about 10 years. It was only recently, when a group of customers, who are all into home brewing gave me samples of their brews, that I got back into drinking beer. And that was because I too, started brewing my own, having seen how far home brews have come since I last tried one.

I started with kit and kilo, as so many do, and now have progressed to all malt, hopping and steeping grain to produce drops that I prefer to any of the commercial stuff out there.

If I have to buy megaswill (during a gap in home brew production), my go to beers are Coopers Pale ale and Sparkling Ale - although I nearly died at the price of a carton of Sparkling long-necks that I got recently.

I confess to having not tried too many of the boutique drops that are finding their way to the shelves these days, but then they aren't megaswills by definition.

Cheers

That sounds similar to me. I used to drink megaswill all the time but I found I could only have about 3 or 4 before they started tasting (more) like crap. So I switched to Jack Daniels and drank that for ages before I discovered the craft beers... that was the beginning of the steep descent into home brewing again, after trying a few and thinking I'd like to brew something like them myself. Loving it now! Still enjoy the occasional JD though, maybe a few more now that they're being referred to as a "Lemmy". devil

Me too, Away. I had stopped drinking as much beer and moved to wine for quite a few years.

Now I'm on homebrew I'm trying desperately not to buy alcohol at all. I'm a bit nervous counting

the bottles I have left on the shelf, wondering if I'm going to get them to last until the next batch has conditioned.

I did wander into the bottle shop the other day, but when I saw the prices I quickly calculated how much LDME etc it would buy I quickly walked out again.

I used to drink premix spirits but that alcopops tax bumped a carton up to $80-90 so I stared drinking spirit and mixers. But it seems that the mix started to get stronger and bad hangovers. So then started drinking beer. Super dry at first but that started to give me headaches after 2-3 s bottles. So I moved to TEDs then they changed the flavour so then to corona. New housemate hated corona so we ended up buying coopers celebration ale, vintage ale, stout and sparkling ale. Now home brew

I used to drink premix spirits but that alcopops tax bumped a carton up to $80-90 so I stared drinking spirit and mixers. But it seems that the mix started to get stronger and bad hangovers. So then started drinking beer. Super dry at first but that started to give me headaches after 2-3 s bottles. So I moved to TEDs then they changed the flavour so then to corona. New housemate hated corona so we ended up buying coopers celebration ale' date=' vintage ale, stout and sparkling ale. Now home brew[/quote']

• 1 month later...

I mostly drink Coopers Pale ale from bottles when not doing HB. A few months ago we went out to a local club and I decided to try Great Northern for the first time. I get a scooner and sat down with wifey to drink it and it tasted like water. I took it back nearly full and and asked the barman for a Carleton Mid strength. Went back to sit and drink with wifey again and this also tasted like water. Left it nearly full on the table and we went up town to our favourite Italian restaurant and got a Coopers pale ale.

I know the Coopers Pale Ale is not your best beer around but the other crap as far as I'm concerned just pales into insignificance when compared to Coopers.

I like to refer to megaswill as "Love on the Beach" ie: effin near water.

• 8 months later...

Archived