Coopers Community

Got stung buying mega swill today.

Frosty Chop

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah that story caused a bit of controversy & banter when it was first released. But VB couldn't win a beer competition if it was the only entrant, so it had to be a hoax. wink

Like the beer itself, I thought the article was in Very Bad taste. tongue

Cheers,

Lusty.

Now I'm on homebrew I'm trying desperately not to buy alcohol at all. I'm a bit nervous counting

the bottles I have left on the shelf' date=' wondering if I'm going to get them to last until the next batch has conditioned. [/quote']

joyful Im exactly the same!

Now I'm on homebrew I'm trying desperately not to buy alcohol at all. I'm a bit nervous counting

the bottles I have left on the shelf' date=' wondering if I'm going to get them to last until the next batch has conditioned. [/quote']

joyful Im exactly the same!

Now that Ive started kegging it only gets worse, at least in bottles you can see when your about to run out, with a keg it sort of takes you by surprise.

• 8 months later...

Reviving the thread a bit bit...

Been on megaswill for many years and am sick of it. Decided it's about time to dig behind the couch and start buying better beer. Went from carlton cold/mid to coopers mild ale much improved while still technically megaswill I guess. Then decided to get back into home brew again with the aim of making a decent beer this time around, but i need to build up a bottle collection as cant afford to set up for kegs yet. This led me to purchase a box of mr squires 150 lashes... not as nice as i remembered it but drinkable.

Go back for a box of something different bloke who owns the bottlo and also the pub pulled out Budweiser swears it's good shit "all i drank when i went to the states" i questioned him about it again but nope good gear he said. WRONG! Worst slop I've had the displeasure of tipping it down the throat. Old mate gonna get a mouthful when I see him next. It's almost bad enough to throw out.

I plan on getting my sister to pick up a box of something nice when she comes over, just haven't decided what yet. I don't want to fork out a small fortune for it but unless I want to cough up $65 for 150 lashes again (west end and coopers pale are $55) was thinking of trying mr squires hop thief or mr murphy has mr squires hop father on at the moment too.

Any other suggestions? Prefer crown seal bottles

Hi solidute

I was in the same position as you about 1.5yrs ago. I need bottles, and badly!

Rather than buying megaswill, I just sourced the bottles from gumtree. Lots of.local sellers had bottles for sale. I went for 450-568mL bottles because 330mL was too small for.me.and long necks being 750mL are just too big to have more than 1 on a school night.

Shop around, don't be afraid to bargain. Don't pay more than 50c per . glass bottle. Closer to 35c to 40c if u can.

I have accumulated enough now to meet my.bottling needs forever. Swapped out the long neck 750mL bottles, so have plenty of swingtops grolsch, 500mL German, 500mL Stone & Wood and 568mL little creatures pints.

Forums.can also be a good source, as can you LHBS if they sell used bottles

Cheers joolbag

Yeah my downsides are that i still need beer and that i dont live in adelaide. Its already taken 2 weeks to get a second hand coopers brewing kit and some ingredients. I did get 2 boxes of PET bottles to get me started but wont be enough to have a rotation going

The latest Hop Thief (HT8) is shit by comparison to their previous ones, but the Hopfather sounds like it might be something similar to the HT6 which was a nice brew. If it was a choice between HT8 and Hopfather I'd be going the Hopfather.

Anyone who thinks Budweiser is good needs their head read. When I went to the US in 2009 I was mainly drinking megaswills back here, XXXX/Tooheys etc., and even with their lowly bitterness, the Yank beer was still sweeter again. I wonder if they even use any hops in it at all.

The latest Hop Thief (HT8) is shit by comparison to their previous ones' date=' but the Hopfather sounds like it might be something similar to the HT6 which was a nice brew. If it was a choice between HT8 and Hopfather I'd be going the Hopfather.

Anyone who thinks Budweiser is good needs their head read. When I went to the US in 2009 I was mainly drinking megaswills back here, XXXX/Tooheys etc., and even with their lowly bitterness, the Yank beer was still sweeter again. I wonder if they even use any hops in it at all. [/quote']

If I could afford to tip it down the sink I would. It's disgusting

I don't want to fork out a small fortune for it but unless I want to cough up $65 for 150 lashes again (west end and coopers pale are $55) was thinking of trying mr squires hop thief or mr murphy has mr squires hop father on at the moment too.

Even the cheapest beers are $50 a slab, so just buy 6 packs of whatever is on special to find something you like and go from there.

After splitting a case of James Squires Golden with a mate over a holiday weekend, we both found Endeavour Golden Ale to be heaps better. You could try that one.

Or just get Leos/Storm (the green one) from Aldi. They're both good beers and $30 a slab. Similar to Tiger and Coopers Pale Ale

Anyone who thinks Budweiser is good needs their head read. When I went to the US in 2009 I was mainly drinking megaswills back here' date=' XXXX/Tooheys etc., and even with their lowly bitterness, the Yank beer was still sweeter again. I wonder if they even use any hops in it at all. [/quote']

Tried a Millers chill left behind by one of my daughters friends a couple of years ago and found the flavour indistinguishable from lemonade.

Is this what you get when you brew without hops or do they add sweetener on purpose?

Cheers joolbag

Yeah my downsides are that i still need beer and that i dont live in adelaide. Its already taken 2 weeks to get a second hand coopers brewing kit and some ingredients. I did get 2 boxes of PET bottles to get me started but wont be enough to have a rotation going

Free Shipping on PETs smile

They add something to it that assists the head retention' date=' and apparently this does have a bit of a sweet taste. [/quote']

Kelsey - you maybe thinking about PGA....propylene glycol alginate.

Link

That sounds familiar. I have read about that being used in those swill beers to assist in head retention. Propylene glycol is also used in fog machines and e-cigarette juices although I don't think it's alginate in these devices.. the vapor from those fog machines does have a bit of a sweet smell to it I've noticed. The vapor from the e-cigs tastes sweet but it does have added flavors along with vegetable glycerin which is sweeter than PG, so not quite the same.

Cheers joolbag

Free Shipping on PETs smile

Yep but PETs dont come full of beer...

gotta say that brewing beer has almost...almost...ruined drinking megaswill for me. I drink it now and start asking where the flavour is.

You guys turned me into a beer snob! But thats ok...just makes me appricate my HB even more!

The only time I enjoy a megaswill is when it's a stinker of a day and I've just mowed the lawn, or something like that. Even then, I'd still prefer a nice refreshing pale ale over flavorless crap. XXXX Bitter out of a wooden keg is probably the best megaswill I've had, it's nothing special itself but it's still better than the rest of them.

• 3 months later...

I usually buy Hollandia or Oettinger when I run out of homebrew and I'm not prepared to take out a mortgage to buy a carton of something like I normally brew. About $30 a carton of bottles or $40-$45 for a carton of 500mL cans. Not only are they both cheaper than local megaswill, they taste better too. Hell even Stella or Grolsch has more flavor than the shit they produce here, for a similar price.

The carton I bought on Saturday will be the last for a while though, as tomorrow I'm kegging the pale ale so once the rest of that carton is gone the kegs will be carbed and ready to tap. biggrin

I always hated megaswill - although I swear its got worse over the last 17 years. I remember drinking Carlton Cold and TED and managing ok with that. The only beer I've ever had that could go head to head with an Aussie megaswill in the 'this is disgusting' stakes was Pabst, but for $3 a pint at least I got what I paid for.

I agree with you Kelsey, German/Dutch megaswill tops Aussie megaswill anyday. My go to at the moment is Bitburger, even after drinking decent beer for weeks, it still tastes ok when I need it. Anyone remember Amsterdam? That was shit but it was just acceptable enough and so damn cheap!

Since I've been brewing my own I don't care as much, but I feel like we need legislative change here urgently, the craft beer industry has so much potential and its just being sat on by government policy. They should be encouraging a world class beer industry instead of punishing our international visitors with ludicrous prices and awful product. I'm embarrassed by it, it's just shameful. It's like they want me to move back to NZ tongue

Archived