Coopers Community

What bands / artists have you seen live over the years ?

Thought I’d start a new Topic, What bands / artists have you seen over the years ?

I’ll have a crack to see if I can remember who I have seen, here goes. 

Dire Straits

Def Leppard - 3 times 

Crowded House

Hunters & Collectors - 5 times

Hoodoo Gurus - 3 times

Rodney Rude

Midnight Oil - 3 times 

Journey

Deep Purple

REM

Baby Animals

Bryan Adam’s 

‘Kids in the Kitchen

Boom Crash Opera 

Uncanny X-Men 

Im sure there are a few more that I have forgotten 🤷‍♂️

I met Bryan Adam’s in HMV in London years ago,  also Mark Knopfler at a Cricket Test Match at the Gabba (he was in the line getting a beer), and bumped into Brian Mannix at my local pub here at home about 4 years ago. 

Keen to see what other people on the forum have seen or met. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

Thought I’d start a new Topic, What bands / artists have you seen over the years ?

I’ll have a crack to see if I can remember who I have seen, here goes. 

Dire Straits

Def Leppard - 3 times 

Crowded House

Hunters & Collectors - 5 times

Hoodoo Gurus - 3 times

Rodney Rude

Midnight Oil - 3 times 

Journey

Deep Purple

REM

Baby Animals

Bryan Adam’s 

‘Kids in the Kitchen

Boom Crash Opera 

Uncanny X-Men 

Im sure there are a few more that I have forgotten 🤷‍♂️

I met Bryan Adam’s in HMV in London years ago,  also Mark Knopfler at a Cricket Test Match at the Gabba (he was in the line getting a beer), and bumped into Brian Mannix at my local pub here at home about 4 years ago. 

Keen to see what other people on the forum have seen or met. 

Quite a list RD, when I was younger, I used to go to bands, concerts etc. & I was taken to the Beatles concert when they were in Adelaide, also later on I saw Normie Rowe, Billy Thorpe, Cliff Richard, The Platters, I started following Country Music & that has always been my passion, I am not in to head-banging rock & roll but later I saw Barnsey a few times, Kasey Chambers & many Country stars, my favourites are George Strait, Alan Jackson & many others.

I have always followed the Eagles & saw them as well as Rod Stewart, Dolly Parton, The Highwaymen. I am a Stones fan & still watch older clips on YouTube such as Simon & Garfunkel & the like. Today apart from a few mentioned above Country Music will always be my main focus.

I have missed out a few but that's me.

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Quite a list RD, when I was younger, I used to go to bands, concerts etc. & I was taken to the Beatles concert when they were in Adelaide, also later on I saw Normie Rowe, Billy Thorpe, Cliff Richard, The Platters, I started following Country Music & that has always been my passion, I am not in to head-banging rock & roll but later I saw Barnsey a few times, Kasey Chambers & many Country stars, my favourites are George Strait, Alan Jackson & many others.

I have always followed the Eagles & saw them as well as Rod Stewart, Dolly Parton, The Highwaymen. I am a Stones fan & still watch older clips on YouTube such as Simon & Garfunkel & the like. Today apart from a few mentioned above Country Music will always be my main focus.

I have missed out a few but that's me.

That’s quite a list mate, yeah each to their own tastes when it comes to music, my dad is a massive Country & Western fan, he always had music playing in the house growing up.

He loved Mac Davis, Johnny Cash, Frankie Lane, Kenny Roger’s, Dolly Parton, he was never into the Stones or even The Beatles come to think of it. 

• Like 2

Good thread @Red devil 44

I can't actually remember when I last went to a gig or concert, so let's start back as far as I can remember and hit a couple of my highlights (I know I will forget some, but here goes...)

1971 - I was 12 years of age and went with my bother 4 years older (who was into underground music as it was known as then - think Jimmy Hendrix, Cream, Led Zeppelin, etc) Deep Purple (in the original line up) with Free and Manfred Mann for one show only (at the only place big enough in Perth those days to host such a gig) at the Beatty Park Aquatic Centre - yep that's right at a local pool (OK sure the pool was originally built for the Commonwealth Games in 1962, but there was still concern a band member would fall in and drown, or be electrocuted 🤦‍♂️). I can still remember leaving the venue singing at the top of my voice Black Knight. - Been a lifetime fav ever since. Here's a link to a news article !

Eric Clapton - Perth Entertainment Centre around 1975ish it was in the winter coz I remember him wearing ugg boots 😉 That was the release of his album E. C. Was Here - A great album of live music. If you want to hear "'Ol Slow Hand" at some of his best, do yourself a favour have a listen to Ramblin' On My Mind - Live - TURN IT UP LOUD - 3 key changes in one song - just awesome... 

Lou Reed around 1977ish - Perth Entertainment Centre - I will never forget being at the bar waiting for the start of the concert and the introduction of Sweet Jane being played at a ridiculous level of sound and the squeeze that followed as people tried to leave the bar and get to their seats - pandemonium 🥴 

David Bowie around 1978ish - The Stage Tour - brilliant of course

Lots of pub gigs - Loved going to watch our local band 4 or 5 times a week The Elks, but also remember swillin' beers to the likes of: Fatty Lumpkin, The Captain Matchbox Whoopee Band, Dave Hole, Matt Taylor,  the Farriss Brothers (before INXS), Billy Thorpe, too many to remember ...

John Farnham 1987ish - The Warwick Hotel - Whispering Jack Live Tour - Great gig - typical pub squeeze 

Phil Collins 1990ish (maybe the less said the better)

Warren Zevon 1990ish - Performed by himself with just a piano at the Burswood Concert Hall - very few in attendance - was like we were in his living room - very personalised - just awesome 

James Taylor (supporting act The John Butler Band) 2003 - Leeuwin Estate Winery Margaret River - I was consulting to the Winery during those days and I just so happened to need to do an audit of their public safety strategies and practices - What great timing I thought to myself - What a beautiful setting for such an artist - absolutely memorable, wonderful. 

Claim to fame - I used to go to school with Dave Faulkner of the Hoodoo Gurus - He wouldn't know me from a bar of soap and Stephen Pigram from the Pigram Brothers was in the same class as me for 3 years of our high school years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Triple B Brewing said:

Good thread @Red devil 44

I can't actually remember when I last went to a gig or concert, so let's start back as far as I can remember and hit a couple of my highlights (I know I will forget some, but here goes...)

1971 - I was 12 years of age and went with my bother 4 years older (who was into underground music as it was known as then - think Jimmy Hendrix, Cream, Led Zeppelin, etc) Deep Purple (in the original line up) with Free and Manfred Mann for one show only (at the only place big enough in Perth those days to host such a gig) at the Beatty Park Aquatic Centre - yep that's right at a local pool (OK sure the pool was originally built for the Commonwealth Games in 1962, but there was still concern a band member would fall in and drown, or be electrocuted 🤦‍♂️). I can still remember leaving the venue singing at the top of my voice Black Knight. - Been a lifetime fav ever since. Here's a link to a news article !

Eric Clapton - Perth Entertainment Centre around 1975ish it was in the winter coz I remember him wearing ugg boots 😉 That was the release of his album E. C. Was Here - A great album of live music. If you want to hear "'Ol Slow Hand" at some of his best, do yourself a favour have a listen to Ramblin' On My Mind - Live - TURN IT UP LOUD - 3 key changes in one song - just awesome... 

Lou Reed around 1977ish - Perth Entertainment Centre - I will never forget being at the bar waiting for the start of the concert and the introduction of Sweet Jane being played at a ridiculous level of sound and the squeeze that followed as people tried to leave the bar and get to their seats - pandemonium 🥴 

David Bowie around 1978ish - The Stage Tour - brilliant of course

Lots of pub gigs - Loved going to watch our local band 4 or 5 times a week The Elks, but also remember swillin' beers to the likes of: Fatty Lumpkin, The Captain Matchbox Whoopee Band, Dave Hole, Matt Taylor,  the Farriss Brothers (before INXS), Billy Thorpe, too many to remember ...

John Farnham 1987ish - The Warwick Hotel - Whispering Jack Live Tour - Great gig - typical pub squeeze 

Phil Collins 1990ish (maybe the less said the better)

Warren Zevon 1990ish - Performed by himself with just a piano at the Burswood Concert Hall - very few in attendance - was like we were in his living room - very personalised - just awesome 

James Taylor (supporting act The John Butler Band) 2003 - Leeuwin Estate Winery Margaret River - I was consulting to the Winery during those days and I just so happened to need to do an audit of their public safety strategies and practices - What great timing I thought to myself - What a beautiful setting for such an artist - absolutely memorable, wonderful. 

Claim to fame - I used to go to school with Dave Faulkner of the Hoodoo Gurus - He wouldn't know me from a bar of soap and Stephen Pigram from the Pigram Brothers was in the same class as me for 3 years of our high school years.

Nice list @Triple B Brewing, you just jogged my memory.
‘I saw Eric Clapton twice, once on his August Tour and can’t remember the other tour name. (I will check out that song mate)

Phil Collins twice on his No Jacket Required tour and his last tour Not Dead Yet I think it was called. 
‘Genesis on their Invisible Touch Tour

Pearl Jam on their Vitalogy Tour

Some oddball band called the Electric Hippies, and a few others that don’t come to mind just yet. 

‘When I was in the UK I saw Magnum & The Scorpions 

I saw Hoodoo Gurus at the Alex Hills Hotel in Brisbane and after the gig Dave Faulkner came and had a beer at the bar with us, he was a pretty laid back guy, good times back then. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Nice list @Triple B Brewing, you just jogged my memory.
‘I saw Eric Clapton twice, once on his August Tour and can’t remember the other tour name. (I will check out that song mate)

Phil Collins twice on his No Jacket Required tour and his last tour Not Dead Yet I think it was called. 
‘Genesis on their Invisible Touch Tour

Pearl Jam on their Vitalogy Tour

Some oddball band called the Electric Hippies, and a few others that don’t come to mind just yet. 

‘When I was in the UK I saw Magnum & The Scorpions 

I saw Hoodoo Gurus at the Alex Hills Hotel in Brisbane and after the gig Dave Faulkner came and had a beer at the bar with us, he was a pretty laid back guy, good times back then. 

Oh yeah, your list continues to impress @Red devil 44 I didn't mind Peal Jam, but I very much enjoy listening to Clapton & JT's music, he and James Taylor are the maestro's IMHO - artistic geniuses and still doin' it - Just wish Lennon was still around - Another maestro that was well before his time.

Yep, Dave Faulkner was always a pretty cool cat - quite sure the lyrics of Miss Freelove '69 was factual 😉

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Triple B Brewing said:

Oh yeah, your list continues to impress @Red devil 44 I didn't mind Peal Jam, but I very much enjoy listening to Clapton & JT's music, he and James Taylor are the maestro's IMHO - artistic geniuses and still doin' it - Just wish Lennon was still around - Another maestro that was well before his time.

Yep, Dave Faulkner was always a pretty cool cat - quite sure the lyrics of Miss Freelove '69 was factual 😉

Nice mate @Triple B Brewing, when I had a beer with Dave it was on their Magnum Cum Louder Tour, they played Axegrinder and smoked it, brilliant. 
I’ve got tickets to Iron Maiden later in the year, would also love to see Ace Frehley if he tours Oz. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Nice mate @Triple B Brewing, when I had a beer with Dave it was on their Magnum Cum Louder Tour, they played Axegrinder and smoked it, brilliant. 
I’ve got tickets to Iron Maiden later in the year, would also love to see Ace Frehley if he tours Oz. 

Arr Magnum Cum Louder, that's right about when they would have been hitting their sweet spot eh - nice 😉

I've never really been an Iron Maiden or Kiss fan, but hey, there ya go - somefin' for everyone eh 😔

Cheers for the memories 🍺 🍺

• Like 3

Yep, good thread RD, brings back many a good memory.

Growing up in the country I did not have much access to see bands until one night the Skyhooks came to see me.  This was before they became big.  Mildura Tech School Hall, the Skyhooks were playing and some of the band members came over to see me, in order to get my youngest brother off their stage.  He was writhing around on stage, on his back near the big speakers, whilst they were playing, he was spinning around all over their audio and electrical cables and was definitely a trip hazard, electrocution hazard and show stopping hazard, so during a break, a couple of the Skyhooks band members came over to me and said, "get the kid outa here or F ****** else !".

That was the first of many bands.  Much later on when I moved to Melbourne, every Friday night was band night in the city.  Usually did not get home until the sun came up the next day.  The many pubs playing live music and the big venues and big stars and all the bands, it was just a smorgasbord for a country boy like me.  Now if I could do all that again, I would in a heartbeat.

One of the standouts in my memory is when I was in the background of the original Paul Kelly video where his band played on top of the Nylex Silo in Richmond.  I used to brag about it, but later edits do not show what I told family about back then.  Anyway, here is a clip of the video Leaps and Bounds.

I will come back with a list of bands I have seen over the years, have to note them all down and chronological list them.  

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 5

I think I was very lucky: In the early 70's a lot of English bands and American blues musicians came out to Australia and appeared in theatres and outdoor venues. And don't forget; before pub rock Australian bands appeared in church halls and youth clubs and pop festivals! Here is my list. It gives me goosebumps to remember the wonderful music! Early Australian bands - Taman Shud, Kavus Jute, Tully, Spectrum, Chain, Company Caine, Country Radio, Billy Thorpe, Daddy Cool, Crossfire. Hordern Pavilion - Jethro Tull, Ike and Tina Turner, Procul Harum. Randwick Racecourse - Deep Purple, Free, Manfred Mann Earth Band, Led Zepplin, Rolling Stones (couldn't see or hear them properly - sob). State Theatre - Fairport Convention, George Benson. Canberra Theatre - Steeleye Span, Ray Charles, BB King, Sonny Terry and Brownie McGee, Melanie, Ian Drury and the Blockheads, Richard Clapton, Jeannie Lewis, Muddy Waters. Memorial Gardens - Bob Dylan.

• Like 7

Cool thread!

I have see:

ACDC 3 x times favourite band first concert in 91 was the best!

Meatloaf pretty close to the best show I have been to!

Lee Kernaghan 3 x times

Rolling Stones

Bon Jovi

Baby Animals

Paul Kelly

Angels

Justin Bieber (not my choice and still have ringing ears from screaming teenage girls)

John Williamson

The Who

U2 360 concert!

James Reyne

Hunters and Collectors

Graeme Connors

Wolfmother

Haven’t been to a Taylor Swift concert but feel like I have🤣

Probably others that I will remember after I post this!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, jennyss said:

I think I was very lucky: In the early 70's a lot of English bands and American blues musicians came out to Australia and appeared in theatres and outdoor venues. And don't forget; before pub rock Australian bands appeared in church halls and youth clubs and pop festivals! Here is my list. It gives me goosebumps to remember the wonderful music! Early Australian bands - Taman Shud, Kavus Jute, Tully, Spectrum, Chain, Company Caine, Country Radio, Billy Thorpe, Daddy Cool, Crossfire. Hordern Pavilion - Jethro Tull, Ike and Tina Turner, Procul Harum. Randwick Racecourse - Deep Purple, Free, Manfred Mann Earth Band, Led Zepplin, Rolling Stones (couldn't see or hear them properly - sob). State Theatre - Fairport Convention, George Benson. Canberra Theatre - Steeleye Span, Ray Charles, BB King, Sonny Terry and Brownie McGee, Melanie, Ian Drury and the Blockheads, Richard Clapton, Jeannie Lewis, Muddy Waters. Memorial Gardens - Bob Dylan.

That is awesome what was BB King like I always wanted to see him!😭

14 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

I was in the background of the original Paul Kelly video where his band played on top of the Nylex Silo in Richmond. 

Leaps n Bounds what a great song by a superb Aussie artist 👏🙌

Clearly that edit has caused the delay of sound to vision @iBooz2 - either that or you are actually a steelwork structure on top of a silo in Richmond -HEEE 😉😂🤣😂

5 hours ago, jennyss said:

Oh WOW @jennyss JUST WOOOO HOOOO FRIGGIN’ WOW !!!😮 

What a fantastic list of artists there Jen - just amazing - I am just so jealous reading this right now 🤩 So clearly after seeing Taman Shud you would have the soundtrack to Morning of the Earth. Apart from the other huge names listed, I can’t believe you saw the likes of Ray Charles, Fairport Convention, and Terry and Brownie McGee - that just blows my mind 🤯 (in a good way 😉)

Righto, I believe we have a winner right here folks, that’s it, done n dusted - I wanna go back in time right now 🎶🎵🎤🎸🥁🎹

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

what was BB King like

He was a very strong imposing performer. His guitar playing was brilliant.  He was a very big man - tall and wide!

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Triple B Brewing said:

What a fantastic list of artists there

It was the luck of the times.  And my parents were great music lovers too, although none of us played music, we had lots of records and were encouraged to go to concerts. Teenage years in Canberra I went to the ballet and opera too!

I am enjoying reading everybody's lists  of live music - great memories. I have popped on to you-tube to follow up a few bands mentioned that I hadn't heard of. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Triple B Brewing said:

What a fantastic list of artists there Jen - just amazing - I am just so jealous reading this right now 🤩 So clearly after seeing Taman Shud you would have the soundtrack to Morning of the Earth. Apart from the other huge names listed, I can’t believe you saw the likes of Ray Charles, Fairport Convention, and Terry and Brownie McGee - that just blows my mind 🤯 (in a good way 😉)

Righto, I believe we have a winner right here folks, that’s it, done n dusted - I wanna go back in time right now 🎶🎵🎤🎸🥁🎹

Yep, I agree.  I think @jennyss wins the "groupie of our times" award hands down.  I don't even think I will publish my humble list now.  Am as jealous as hell ! 😭

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Triple B Brewing said:

Leaps n Bounds what a great song by a superb Aussie artist 👏🙌

Clearly that edit has caused the delay of sound to vision @iBooz2 - either that or you are actually a steelwork structure on top of a silo in Richmond -HEEE 😉😂🤣😂

Ha ha.  Was not that take, my understudy was a muso, played keyboard and sax.  Later on, he was playing with Russell Morris and Daryl Cotton and Ronnie Burns.  We were on our way to do a job in the CBD when he suggested we swing by to give some roadie he knew a hand with some gear.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Triple B Brewing said:

Quick, get the DeLorean 😉

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Yep, I agree.  I think @jennyss wins the "groupie of our times" award hands down.  I don't even think I will publish my humble list now.  Am as jealous as hell ! 😭

No no - go loud 'n proud @iBooz2 I say, after all its not about "winning" but how we played the game eh 😉  Carn - what ya got 🍺 🍺

• Like 1

What a great topic.

My list is a bit younger, but much heavier

• Iron Maiden - 4x including my first concert in 1983, front row tickets. Got my tickets for this September
  • Metallica - 2x
  • Def Leppard
  • AC/DC
  • Motorhead - 2x
  • Motley Crue - 4x
  • Disturbed
  • Trivium
  • Overkill
  • Judas Priest
  • Heart
  • Slayer - 3x
  • Megadeth
  • Black Sabbath
  • Deep Purple
  • KISS - 2x
  • Body Count
  • Helloween
  • Hammerfall
  • DragonForce
  • Kreator
  • Vader
  • Cradle of Filth
  • Halestorm
  • Journey
  • Fear Factory - will be 2x after this Friday
  • Some of the above were at 3 x Soundwave and 2 x Download festivals, plus going to Knotfest next week
  • Quite a few pub bands, some seen numerous times
  • Jimi Hocking (The Astros, Jimi the Human & Spectre 7, solo shows)
  • Geisha
  • Icehouse
  • Spy v Spy
  • The Screaming Jets
  • The Superjesus
  • No Nonsense
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

What a great topic.

My list is a bit younger, but much heavier

• Iron Maiden - 4x including my first concert in 1983, front row tickets. Got my tickets for this September
  • Metallica - 2x
  • Def Leppard
  • AC/DC
  • Motorhead - 2x
  • Motley Crue - 4x
  • Disturbed
  • Trivium
  • Overkill
  • Judas Priest
  • Heart
  • Slayer - 3x
  • Megadeth
  • Black Sabbath
  • Deep Purple
  • KISS - 2x
  • Body Count
  • Helloween
  • Hammerfall
  • DragonForce
  • Kreator
  • Vader
  • Cradle of Filth
  • Halestorm
  • Journey
  • Fear Factory - will be 2x after this Friday
  • Some of the above were at 3 x Soundwave and 2 x Download festivals, plus going to Knotfest next week
  • Quite a few pub bands, some seen numerous times
  • Jimi Hocking (The Astros, Jimi the Human & Spectre 7, solo shows)
  • Geisha
  • Icehouse
  • Spy v Spy
  • The Screaming Jets
  • The Superjesus
  • No Nonsense

WOW @Shamus O'Sean there’s some serious acts in that lot (my head started rockin back n forth just readin that list 😉😂)  

Was Ozzy Osbourne up front when you saw Black Sabbath ?

• Haha 2

This is a good thread @Red devil 44.

I haven't attended as many gigs as many of my peers have because I'm a tight@rse and mainly bought albums of the artists I liked so I could listen to it over and over. However of the gigs I have attended and the ones that I can remember: The Angels, Kiss, Sherbert, Skyhooks, Mondo Rock, Neil Diamond, James Reyne (a fantastic acoustic performer), Living End, Spandau Ballet, Graham Bonnet, Pseudo Echo, Glenn Shorrock, Uncanny X-Men. There's others but I haven't backed up the data in my grey matter.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1