Coopers Community

Its Kegging Time - 2024

5 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

In a unused FV it should be good for more than a couple of uses maybe it was stored longer than you thought 

Yeah, it is, that was an old photo I think & it was left in the shed. I usually give the bottles (when I use them) a good rinse & a spray anyway.

32 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yeah, it is, that was an old photo I think & it was left in the shed.

Not that old as your pic is date/time stamped 28APRIL2024. 

You want to get a good quality blue cube Phil and store your sanitiser in that.  That's what I do and also have a keg full of sanitiser to push it through the cleaned kegs with free CO2 from my ferments, a sanitise and O2 purge all in one operation.  I have inspected tested and used my bulk sanitiser for many months now and PH is still fine and it's still clear.

Stellarsan is so damn cheap at the recommended concentration I wonder why anyone would bother to re-use it. I just ditch mine normally after it has done it's job.

Also, as the suppliers seem to skimp on the bottles that it comes in, it tends to consume the caps because of it's acidity.

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

Stellarsan is so damn cheap at the recommended concentration I wonder why anyone would bother to re-use it. I just ditch mine normally after it has done it's job.

Also, as the suppliers seem to skimp on the bottles that it comes in, it tends to consume the caps because of it's acidity.

Not really.  I use it at a concentration of 2 ml per litre.  If I mix up 20 L of the stuff that's 40 ml per keg (allowing for losses in lines and some overflow to make sure keg is full and PRV has been saturated and a little wastage.  So at $8.45 per 500 ml bottle plus shipping, that works out to over 67.6 cents per keg full of fresh sanitiser.  If I tossed that out each time I would only get to sanitise 12.5 kegs before I need a new $8.45 bottle.

Having done 40 to 50 keg sanitation's with my one keg full so far (in order to CO2 purge each keg in the process), lets say over just 40 keg sanitation's, it has actually cost me less that 2 cents per keg.

If the sanitiser is still clear and not contaminated and if it's PH is still down around 2 - 3 then its still good to use.  Its the low PH that does the damage on microbes.

Yes the lids and seals on the KL supplied sanitser do fail and dissolve over time but I found the the KK supplied sanitiser bottles don't.

Edited by iBooz2
decimal point in wrong place
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Not really.  I use it at a concentration of 2 ml per litre.  If I mix up 20 L of the stuff that's 40 ml per keg (allowing for losses in lines and some overflow to make sure keg is full and PRV has been saturated and a little wastage.  So at $8.45 per 500 ml bottle plus shipping, that works out to over 67.6 cents per keg full of fresh sanitiser.  If I tossed that out each time I would only get to sanitise 12.5 kegs before I need a new $8.45 bottle.

Having done 40 to 50 keg sanitation's with my one keg full so far (in order to CO2 purge each keg in the process), lets say over just 40 keg sanitation's, it has actually cost me less that 2 cents per keg.

If the sanitiser is still clear and not contaminated and if it's PH is still down around 2 - 3 then its still good to use.  Its the low PH that does the damage on microbes.

Yes the lids and seals on the KL supplied sanitser do fail and dissolve over time but I found the the KK supplied sanitiser bottles don't.

Why do you use 20l of Stellarsan to sanitise a keg? Stellarsan is made with a surfactant that allows you to use a small amount and then shake the keg and the surfactant will make it cling to any surface that it contacts. That is how it is formulated. The sanitising power is just the acidity and so long as the acidic solution remains in contact with a surface for 1 minute it will work.

250ml of Stellarsan solution is ample to santise a keg.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

Why do you use 20l of Stellarsan to sanitise a keg? Stellarsan is made with a surfactant that allows you to use a small amount and then shake the keg and the surfactant will make it cling to any surface that it contacts. That is how it is formulated. The sanitising power is just the acidity and so long as the acidic solution remains in contact with a surface for 1 minute it will work.

I completely CO2 purge my newly cleaned kegs and the only way to do that is fill them to the brim with a sanitiser mix then force that sanitser mix out into the next clean keg until the first keg contains nothing but CO2.  Simples ...

Edited by iBooz2

3 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

^^ this when I sanitise my kegs I tip it top to bottom then lay it on its side and gently roll the keg back and forth that way all surfaces are being coated and when I fill the keg there is no excessive foam pouring out

3 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

^^ this when I sanitise my kegs I tip it top to bottom then lay it on its side and gently roll the keg back and forth that way all surfaces are being coated and when I fill the keg there is no excessive foam pouring out

I used to do it that way but using the incoming beer to push the oxygen out of the kegs is a bad idea, especially if you want to store them for some weeks.  OK if you going to guzzle it all down before the beer has a chance to oxidize.

3 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

I completely CO2 purge my newly cleaned kegs and the only way to do that is fill them to the brim then force that sanitser out into the next clean keg until the first keg contains nothing but CO2.  Simples ...

I completely purge my kegs, as well. I do santise them first though with approx 250ml of Stellarsan and then purge them.

Far more efficient use of the sanitiser I reckon.

Posted (edited)

I completely purge my kegs, as well. I do santise them first though with approx 250ml of Stellarsan and then purge them.

Maybe low cost of sanitiser but costs a ship load in gas $, unless of course you are using pressure fermenter CO2 blow off to purge and timing is right with a fermenting brew.  But if the keg is pretty much MT in the first place it's hard to tell when it has been completely purged.  Unless it was full of liquid and now is MT as I and some others do it.

To be sure to be sure.

Edited by iBooz2

250ml ? 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Kim is talking mixed volume including water here.

Yes the recommended mixing rate is 1.5ml/l, so 250ml of the solution has only 0.375ml of concentrated Stellarsan.

Edited by kmar92

20 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

Yes the recommended mixing rate is 1.5ml/l, so 250ml of the solution has only 0.375ml of concentrated Stellarsan.

I was looking and looking and thought 250ml of Stellarsan haha no way for just one keg

Kegged my All Grain Kolsch today, was in the fermenter 21 days all up as I was delayed getting home from work.

I Cold crashed it for a week so was perfectly clear going into the keg via closed transfer.

I have a function at my house in July so will keep this in the keezer on gas (serving pressure) until then. 

• Like 3

Kegged my Belgian Pilsner based on Stella Artois a couple of nights ago.

I had fined the wort with Biofine in the fermenter.  The beer was really clear when I took the FV out of the fridge at 0°C.  However, kegging in a 20°C kitchen caused CO2 in the yeast cake to be released.  Each rising bubble drew a slight contrail of yeast with it, which ultimately made the beer cloudy again as you can see in the photo.  Usually I get through kegging before this happens too much.

Otherwise it went well.  Got 4 stubbies for travellers plus 1 1/2 kegs.  4.3% ABV was a bit lower than I was aiming for.  The Czech Budejovice Lager WLP802 is not as highly attenuating as predicted.

IMG_4421.thumb.JPG.d314239be43139fd7f52a75d9fec798a.JPG 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

@Shamus O'Sean I hope the yeast settles in the keg and does not make you gassy.

After 7 years of homebrewing, my body has got used to it and my family just shake their heads.

Plus 2 glasses out of the keg and it is clearing up a bit.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@Shamus O'Sean Great to see stocks building up again, nothing worse than having to wait and keg and fast carb to drink the next day. 

I just got rid of my second brew fridge because I couldn't be stuffed trying to fix the door seals to make it energy efficient.  With my shift work I don't always have big beer weeks like I used to.

I was going to keep it for keeping bottles warm to carbonate but not really sure I can be stuffed with all that again.

Also after cheeky peak in Wodonga moving away from ingredients and Grain and Grape closing down. I now have to order from kegland and pay freight. I wanted a few KG of carapils from them and only sell 25 KG bags😡

Edited by Uhtred Of Beddanburg
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

@Shamus O'Sean Great to see stocks building up again, nothing worse than having to wait and keg and fast carb to drink the next day. 

I just got rid of my second brew fridge because I couldn't be stuffed trying to fix the door seals to make it energy efficient.  With my shift work I don't always have big beer weeks like I used to.

I was going to keep it for keeping bottles warm to carbonate but not really sure I can be stuffed with all that again.

Also after cheeky peak in Wodonga moving away from ingredients and Grain and Grape closing down. I now have to order from kegland and pay freight. I wanted a few KG of carapils from them and only sell 25 KG bags😡

Just a heads up, you can use Kegland's Grain Bill Maker to order single malts in whatever amounts you want.

https://www.kegland.com.au/products/grain-bill

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Just a heads up, you can use Kegland's Grain Bill Maker to order single malts in whatever amounts you want.

https://www.kegland.com.au/products/grain-bill

Awesome shamus thanks for that info. I will have to order it with hops or other things to make the postage worth while.

The last time I visited Noble Park they took the day off after Anzac Day as well so I could not stock up 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

Awesome shamus thanks for that info. I will have to order it with hops or other things to make the postage worth while.

The last time I visited Noble Park they took the day off after Anzac Day as well so I could not stock up 😂

I am lucky that I live within half an hour of their outlet.  So I almost always use their free locker pick-up option.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I am lucky that I live within half an hour of their outlet.  So I almost always use their free locker pick-up option.

So does this locker pick up option work during after hours and the weekend I am assuming?

If so it may come in handy as I usually go to Noble Park on weekends.

They give you a pin code or something to open it?

Edited by Uhtred Of Beddanburg