Coopers Community

Whats in Your Fermenter - 2024?

I bottled and kegged my Botanical, and decided to knock up another version and dump it on the yeast cake. First time doing a dirty batch 😃

This one finished at 1.006, that Coopers Commercial goes though the fermentables like sh*t though a goose !

It had been fermenting since 21st May, with a cold crash since Saturday. I used a Coopers Draught as the base kit, and added 15g of Citra to the juniper berries.

This one used an APA as a base and 48g of Centennial (maybe a bit of overkill) to 20g of juniper berries.

IMG_3225.jpeg

IMG_3226.jpeg

IMG_3229.jpeg

IMG_3227.jpeg

IMG_3228.jpeg

IMG_3231.jpeg

• Like 7

On the left is my brew; 23L of Coopers Amber Ale with 1.25kg of LDM instead of the 1kg recommended on the can. The OG was 1040. On the right is my husband's 21L of Woolworths Lager with BE2, 1tbsp LDM and 1tbsp sugar. OG was 1041.

Both brews were mixed yesterday.  We're trying to up our production to save buying expensive 'supplementary' beers!

20240612_151454[1].jpg

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, jennyss said:

On the left is my brew; 23L of Coopers Amber Ale with 1.25kg of LDM instead of the 1kg recommended on the can. The OG was 1040. On the right is my husband's 21L of Woolworths Lager with BE2, 1tbsp LDM and 1tbsp sugar. OG was 1041.

Both brews were mixed yesterday.  We're trying to up our production to save buying expensive 'supplementary' beers!

20240612_151454[1].jpg

Yeah, that is definitely the way to go Jenny, the commercial prices are getting ridiculous, there are specials around but upping the production at home is always going to be the winner.

I reckon what you save can then be spent on more brewing products. 🤔 What am I saying? 🤣

• Haha 3

I put a Taiheke Pale Ale into the fermenter on Tuesday, pitched a goodly amount of US-05 from a starter, set the Inkbird to 18C and left it to its devices. Checked the pill and there was no action after 24 hrs. Knowing US-05, that is nothing unusual. Then there was still no action after 48hrs and I started to wonder. That was when I realised that the fridge was too cold. It was sitting at 14C and because ambient is rather cool, it never warmed up. So I dug out the second heat belt and somehow managed to get it in and close the fridge door properly, the latter always being an issue with this fridge. Now she has awakened and things are starting to happen.

I don't recall ever needing a heat belt in this particular fridge, but then I realised that last June and most of July I wasn't here to brew and the years before, the ferment fridges were in the house. By the look of it, I currently could brew a lager in there without temp control. A completely new experience 🙂 

• Like 6