Coopers Community

What are you drinking in 2024?

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

Looks tasty but this glass would last about 3 seconds before I knocked it over. High centre of gravity, small footprint and a healthy dose of AussieKraut do not go particularly well together 🙂 

Hahaha yep! It does look a bit like a recipe for a mess!

I think the photo does make it look a bit more so…the base is actually a bit bigger than it appears to be in the photo though.

I’m forever dropping things, knocking things over, falling off my bike etc, so may be blessed with the AussieK gene 😆😆

• Haha 5

Taste Test Challenge: 019, Sticks & Stones Pacific Ale, bottled 8/5/24, conditioned 23 days, vs Stone & Wood Pacific Ale.

019 is Earle's Stone & Wood Pale Ale clone recipe as recommended by @Back Brewing. BB recommended adding a dry hop to the recipe but I forgot to do that. More on that later.

IMG_20240710_201220030.thumb.jpg.a2dfee7f698e5ee285be3c78789d3f62.jpg

S&W was straw coloured with a small 1-2mm head that dissipated quickly. 019 was a deep gold with a 3-4mm head that also dissipated quickly.

S&W had a distinctly fruity aroma. 019 had a faint, vaguely fruity aroma. S&W had minimal lacing. 019 had no lacing.

S&W had a pleasant bitterness and a fruity, hoppy flavour. 019 needed more from the hops both on the bitterness side and the flavour/aroma side. Dry hopping would have helped. Both seemed to have a similar level of carbonation.

Here are the brew notes:

IMG_20240710_200506160.thumb.jpg.f3c2beb5279f1aaaaafdc00d7e412456.jpg

• Like 8

26 minutes ago, Kegory said:

Taste Test Challenge: 019, Sticks & Stones Pacific Ale, bottled 8/5/24, conditioned 23 days, vs Stone & Wood Pacific Ale.

019 is Earle's Stone & Wood Pale Ale clone recipe as recommended by @Back Brewing. BB recommended adding a dry hop to the recipe but I forgot to do that. More on that later.

IMG_20240710_201220030.thumb.jpg.a2dfee7f698e5ee285be3c78789d3f62.jpg

S&W was straw coloured with a small 1-2mm head that dissipated quickly. 019 was a deep gold with a 3-4mm head that also dissipated quickly.

S&W had a distinctly fruity aroma. 019 had a faint, vaguely fruity aroma. S&W had minimal lacing. 019 had no lacing.

S&W had a pleasant bitterness and a fruity, hoppy flavour. 019 needed more from the hops both on the bitterness side and the flavour/aroma side. Dry hopping would have helped. Both seemed to have a similar level of carbonation.

Here are the brew notes:

IMG_20240710_200506160.thumb.jpg.f3c2beb5279f1aaaaafdc00d7e412456.jpg

Would you brew it again with 50g of Galaxy as a dry hop?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kegory said:

Not mine, I'm away from home, dog sitting.

... and a picture of the dog?

Meanwhile I'm supping on another Coopers APA made with lager yeast.
Dry hopped with Citra & Saaz. 30 grams of each.
As usual a mention to @Malter White for first suggesting this.

I had a friend around doing some electrical work for me. He tried a couple of these and I had to hand over a case as part payment. Had an unexpected visitor too, so not much left of that batch. I'll have to put another on.

IMG20240707160202.jpg

• Like 11

Another batch of the Guinness clone, third one in a row so I must like it😋 I have had this sitting  for nearly a month really good this time bittered with warrior!IMG_7384.thumb.jpeg.e003edadcb864c65dd6cb86942eef462.jpeg

• Like 11

On 4/18/2024 at 12:14 AM, RDT2 said:

Sure here it is except i used barrett burston pale malt instead of marris otter! The original recipe used east kent golding about 69 grams and in my second recipe i have used target hops as the homebrew store were handing them out for free as they were old but so far the sample from the fermenter tastes good 👍 I just done a straight forward mash filled my kettle and probably sparged with about 5 litres to make the volume! My dad loves Guinness and he loves this recipe especially with the nitro 😋 Nearly forgot i put the lactic acid in the keg not mash. I didn’t adjust my water other than filtered and Perth water where i am is soft!

IMG_7146.jpeg

Would this still be a good recipe without the lactic acid?

• Like 1

Side-by-side taste-test - Coopers Botanic Ale.

Mine

• Very strong aroma - peachy and tropical. The dry hop with 60g of Nectaron from day 0 worked really well
  • Similar fruity flavour plus maltiness
  • Juniper is undetectable, but might taste different without it
  • Seems a little more bitter initially
  • Colour - This is from a keg that was filled about a month ago, so the yeast has had time to settle out

Theirs

• Much more subtle aroma - peachy and tropical with some citrus.  The lower aroma could be related to age - Mine is 30 days old, theirs is about 6 months in the can
  • More dominant malt flavour with some fruitiness
  • Juniper is undetectable, but might taste different without it
  • As they both warmed, the commercial seemed to get a little more bitter
  • Colour - I rolled the can before opening, so there is plenty of suspended yeast

IMG_4486.JPG.4f5edc43402d2d38f3abb24fd94f94b4.JPG

• Like 14

Espresso Martini from the keg.

Wow wee!!  I added 3 shots of coffee to the half keg.  This is a great beer.  Strong coffee and chocolate aromas.  Smooth coffee flavour.  This is exactly what I was aiming for with the recipe.  I would love to do a side-by-side taste-test with an espresso martini cocktail.

You can read my tasting notes from a bottled version here.

IMG_4488.thumb.JPG.ce465eb1e906981415a2ba7e2980cd75.JPG

• Like 11

9 hours ago, Graculus said:

... and a picture of the dog?

Meanwhile I'm supping on another Coopers APA made with lager yeast.
Dry hopped with Citra & Saaz. 30 grams of each.
As usual a mention to @Malter White for first suggesting this.

I had a friend around doing some electrical work for me. He tried a couple of these and I had to hand over a case as part payment. Had an unexpected visitor too, so not much left of that batch. I'll have to put another on.

IMG20240707160202.jpg

I've just kegged another batch of AP(L) this week also. Hopped with Galaxy. The cold weather and my new job have reduced my consumption recently so I have time available for the lagering process without the worries of running out of beer.

• Like 9

A Summer Beery Sour, from the keg. Really lovely drop. Then a Guinness clone, followed by a Pezzza’s Pilly, freshly tapped but ice cream cone at the moment 

IMG_3774.jpeg

IMG_3775.jpeg

IMG_3778.jpeg

IMG_3765.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Low alcohol 0.66% Saison. Haven't been drinking a lot of this and this keg is now 6 months old. But I can tell you it's much better than it was. Quite drinkable for a low alcohol beer. Not as good as heaps normal and one or two others but I'd say it surpasses Carlton zero, Heineken zero and a few of the other mass produced ones. Guilt free drinking on a Monday night.

20240715_202950.jpg

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Low alcohol 0.66% Saison. Haven't been drinking a lot of this and this keg is now 6 months old. But I can tell you it's much better than it was. Quite drinkable for a low alcohol beer. Not as good as heaps normal and one or two others but I'd say it surpasses Carlton zero, Heineken zero and a few of the other mass produced ones. Guilt free drinking on a Monday night.

20240715_202950.jpg

Looks good Greeny, you must be the most patient guy on this forum when it comes to maturing beers, good on you.

• Like 2

Here's a first, last night I tried to empty a keg so I could crank up the psi for the newly kegged Draught & it just kept giving. 

Just now I decided to see how much I could get in a jug & here is the result, as I was easing the pour to finish the head, boom, it spurted. Now I know how much was in there.

I have now got the beer on 20 psi. 

20240716_151527.thumb.jpg.330693de7bd3e2f9cf034cc33e16e647.jpg

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

20240715_202950.jpg

Wow that's impressive @Greenyinthewestofsydney mate - really good work.

Should be having a crack at such tasty opportunities meself - thanks for the good suggestion - and yeah great stuff mate!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Here's a first, last night I tried to empty a keg so I could crank up the psi for the newly kegged Draught & it just kept giving. 

Just now I decided to see how much I could get in a jug & here is the result, as I was easing the pour to finish the head, boom, it spurted. Now I know how much was in there.

I have now got the beer on 20 psi. 

20240716_151527.thumb.jpg.330693de7bd3e2f9cf034cc33e16e647.jpg

If you go back through my posts I tried to empty a keg one night because I needed the keg I thought it was nearly empty I didn't finish the keg but got horribly pissed 🤣🤣

• Haha 6