Coopers Community

What are you drinking in 2024?

5 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

I'm going to start brewing again in the very near future, but I'll be a simple kit brewer with fresh grains, as I'm time poor until I retire....which is around four and a bit years away. I'll bottle too as I know the beers will be beautiful.

Then no doubt I'll get back into all grain brewing when I'm retired. Plenty of time up my sleeve then.

So for now its going to be a Coopers can, some freshly crushed grain, good yeast and a good dry hop. I'm really looking forward to getting back into it. The weekends that are a blow out and I cant fish, I'll brew.

Onya Paley, great stuff mate.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Dreadful dreadful news... I guess given it was tasting so good there was gunna be trouble afoot...

and lo and behold... another glass later... Thar She Blew : \

Vale Paleo Aleo your days were short but good 🥳

image.thumb.png.d0aed2ddff6dcb15bd7ddf76f546a161.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Pale Man said:

I'm going to start brewing again in the very near future, but I'll be a simple kit brewer with fresh grains, as I'm time poor until I retire....which is around four and a bit years away. I'll bottle too as I know the beers will be beautiful.

Then no doubt I'll get back into all grain brewing when I'm retired. Plenty of time up my sleeve then.

So for now its going to be a Coopers can, some freshly crushed grain, good yeast and a good dry hop. I'm really looking forward to getting back into it. The weekends that are a blow out and I cant fish, I'll brew.

Onya Paley, I knew you would. 

Get into it mate. 🍺

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Great plan Paley ✅
Either way ya look at it you'll be miles in front on the commercial gear 😋 💲 😉

A bit selfish, but I'll be lookin forward to ya sharin ya partial mash outcomes and recipes 🥳

Here's ta just the right amount of ordinary fishin' dayz ahead then eh 😉 🍺 🍺 🍺 🍺

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Gave a workmate a bottle of my Flanders Red to try. He said it was the best sour he has ever had as it doesn’t taste fake! He goes to a lot of breweries so i am pretty happy with the feedback. I love the photo he took as well with the sun coming through the smoke due to burn offs and the greenery of the trees 🌲 

IMG_0862.jpeg

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 13

3 hours ago, Pale Man said:

what  you gave up brewing,   well i was going to say you gave up like your port adeaide football players did but that was like  the  pot callling the kettle black haha.

good onya mate.   i bet  ya sorry  ya sold ya kegerator .   sounds like a cheap fridge and a couple beer taps coming soon

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

56 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

what  you gave up brewing,   well i was going to say you gave up like your port adeaide football players did but that was like  the  pot callling the kettle black haha.

good onya mate.   i bet  ya sorry  ya sold ya kegerator .   sounds like a cheap fridge and a couple beer taps coming soon

He'll be back, he knows he wants it. 😊

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, jennyss said:

What are you brewing or drinking ATM?

For the past year or so I've been a little lazy/boring, for want of a better word. Just Coopers APA with dex, LDM and kit yeast. No added hops or grains. It always turns out well and I can whip it together in a matter of minutes.
Prior to that I was using the Woolies tins a fair bit and experimenting with differing hops but I went off the Woolies tins in protest over their price gouging increases. I can get Coopers APA tins for under $15 by buying 6 at Dan Murphy so that's why I've been a bit boring.

• Like 8

14 hours ago, Pale Man said:

I'm going to start brewing again in the very near future, but I'll be a simple kit brewer with fresh grains, as I'm time poor until I retire....which is around four and a bit years away.

I'm on a similar time frame, Paley. Mrs Beerdo turns 60 in 4 years, I'll be 62, so we can both access our super and we'll retire together. We don't have huge super balances but we should have enough to get by and still be comfortable. We don't plan overseas travel or anything flash like that.
I'm hoping by that time we might have a grandchild or two we can spend some time with and help our kids with child care so they can get ahead in life. It might not sound too exciting but I like being home so I may as well make myself useful while I wither my years away. 😉 

• Like 8

39 minutes ago, Beerdo said:

I'm on a similar time frame, Paley. Mrs Beerdo turns 60 in 4 years, I'll be 62, so we can both access our super and we'll retire together. We don't have huge super balances but we should have enough to get by and still be comfortable. We don't plan overseas travel or anything flash like that.
I'm hoping by that time we might have a grandchild or two we can spend some time with and help our kids with child care so they can get ahead in life. It might not sound too exciting but I like being home so I may as well make myself useful while I wither my years away. 😉 

I was financially able to retire 13 years ago at 55 we help our kids out as much as we can in babysitting for them to be able to work and not have to worry about day care etc. There is only 1 now out of school so we spend a fair bit of time with him

Like you I am quite happy to stay home and my wife reckons I'm becoming a hermit LOL but we do enjoy spending time together away in the caravan and on the river in our shack when it's rebuilt.

Looking back now I should never have retired early because everyone else was still working and I was spending a lot of time up the river by myself but I am enjoying life now that I talked the wife into retiring 3 years ago.

• Like 9

31 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

Looking back now I should never have retired early because everyone else was still working and I was spending a lot of time up the river by myself but I am enjoying life now that I talked the wife into retiring 3 years ago.

I'd never really considered what others were doing. I'd happily access my super at 60 (in 2 years) and retire but I'm more worried my wife would resent me being a man of leisure while she was still plugging away at work. My new job is pretty good so another 4 years isn't going to grind me and it'll add a few more bucks to the retirement funds and we can pull the pin at the same time. How romantic.😆🥰

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Beerdo said:

I'd never really considered what others were doing. I'd happily access my super at 60 (in 2 years) and retire but I'm more worried my wife would resent me being a man of leisure while she was still plugging away at work. My new job is pretty good so another 4 years isn't going to grind me and it'll add a few more bucks to the retirement funds and we can pull the pin at the same time. How romantic.😆🥰

I am a bit older, but I officially retired when Covid-19 hit us as they shut the Hotels & the borders preventing me as a travelling salesman to continue, I tried to work for a while from home but most businesses where a bit careful not to commit/spend as the future was unknown.

Gradually things picked up & pubs were re-stocking, so I did & still do get orders from existing clients including referrals for Stubby Holders, Bar Mats etc.

I do miss the travelling but there is enough business coming in from the internet & besides it's good to be home & do what I want when I want.

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, Beerdo said:

@Beerdo I retired at 62ish - best thing I have ever done - I wish I had done it sooner. We’re not what you’d call flush with cash, but have enough to live comfortably, which we worked really hard to get to and are now very thankful for. 
We have two great kids (well adults now) and three grandkids who live about 3 hours away in Perth. We have them every school holidays and we all have a wonderful family time together. Hopefully makin happy life time memories for them 🎣🏝️
Honestly, I don’t know how we did all we did while we were working. If you have a garden you like to potter in and a hobby (eg: brewing), you just don’t have enough time to do all the things on a list. 
We are now 2.5 years into our retirement years and absolutely lovin life (definitely not withering time away cobber). 
My mantra is to burn bright to the very end (well as bright as I can at least 😉). 
Wishing you some of the same joys of life cobber. 🍺🍺🍺🍺

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, Triple B Brewing said:

@Beerdo I retired at 62ish - best thing I have ever done - I wish I had done it sooner. We’re not what you’d call flush with cash, but have enough to live comfortably, which we worked really hard to get to and are now very thankful for. 
We have two great kids (well adults now) and three grandkids who live about 3 hours away in Perth. We have them every school holidays and we all have a wonderful family time together. Hopefully makin happy life time memories for them 🎣🏝️
Honestly, I don’t know how we did all we did while we were working. If you have a garden you like to potter in and a hobby (eg: brewing), you just don’t have enough time to do all the things on a list. 
We are now 2.5 years into our retirement years and absolutely lovin life (definitely not withering time away cobber). 
My mantra is to burn bright to the very end (well as bright as I can at least 😉). 
Wishing you some of the same joys of life cobber. 🍺🍺🍺🍺

bar-clipart-pub-bar-20-removebg-preview.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Beerdo said:

Yep thats my plan @Beerdo  I'm lucky enough to have been mining for 30+ years, so my Super is very adequate. In fact when I'm 60 in 4 years, I can have an income which is equal or more than I'm working for now for quite a long time. My Mrs is on a permanent disability pension as she is unable to work ever again and has that as income. So we will be very comfortable, without being rich. Suits my style. Go fishing, read the paper, stuff around with the Grandkids and brew.

Everything we have we own so no stress there. We plan to travel Australia a bit, but nothing extravagant. We're easy people.

• Like 8

23 hours ago, RDT2 said:

Gave a workmate a bottle of my Flanders Red to try. He said it was the best sour he has ever had as it doesn’t taste fake! He goes to a lot of breweries so i am pretty happy with the feedback. I love the photo he took as well with the sun coming through the smoke due to burn offs and the greenery of the trees 🌲 

IMG_0862.jpeg

There is a massive difference between a quick sour and a long term sour IMO. Philly sour isn't bad but it also doesn't come close either. The only drawback is the 9 month + wait before they come around. I have 4 750ml bottles of my flanders red left but about 3 months before I bottle the next one. 😭

Edited by Greenyinthewestofsydney
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

All good points above concerning All Grain and Kits and Bits.

IMHO it comes down to time and also capital outlay. The same goes for bottling vs kegging (particularly the costs involved in setting it up).

There are some magnificent KnB recipes on the site, that are defo far superior to a load of “craft” brews out there, some of the brewers are a bit charlatan in their approach (and prices).

For me, cleanliness (sanitation anyway), temperature control and particularly patience will make you a great brew, whether is be AG or KnB, and keg or bottle.

And here’s an AG Tim Taylor’s Landlord, and a Goose Island IPA

IMG_4785.jpeg

IMG_4786.jpeg

Edited by stquinto
Typo
  • Like 13

1 hour ago, stquinto said:

And one more point that I certainly need to work on - cellarmanship

Practice makes perfect, Dave. I'm sure you don't need encouragement to keep practising.🍻

• Haha 6

4 hours ago, stquinto said:

All good points above concerning All Grain and Kits and Bits.

IMHO it comes down to time and also capital outlay. The same goes for bottling vs kegging (particularly the costs involved in setting it up).

There are some magnificent KnB recipes on the site, that are defo far superior to a load of “craft” brews out there, some of the brewers are a bit charlatan in their approach (and prices).

For me, cleanliness (sanitation anyway), temperature control and particularly patience will make you a great brew, whether is be AG or KnB, and keg or bottle.

And here’s an AG Tim Taylor’s Landlord, and a Goose Island IPA

IMG_4785.jpeg

IMG_4786.jpeg

Insert wolf whistle right here 😍

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

WARNING:

Dirty glassware visible. Please look away if this photograph offends.   😉

A Swap n Go kegged extract beer - Clone of Balter XPA

All hop aroma and some of the flavour have disappeared at about week 8 in the keg. Still, a really nice beer just the same.

462539580_554470043702739_5864631447157552224_n.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

ok   just 4 days  really in the keg  is my   oz's apa   so not overly huge head as yet      but   its very  drinkable  just the same 

i am absolutely loving the haze on this   ,  i feel i have made a few  boo boo's  on this as the last time i made this was on my bz 3.1.1    and this time was on  its younger sibling   the gen 4.0   i should have dial the heat percentage down to around 60%  to help maintain  the mash at 65°c for its hour as well as the mash out @76°c  before cranking to a 100% boil .

the abv  is well masked with the hops  i used   which is good    the numbers up by a point   as i was aiming for 1.053 sg   but obtained 1.054    making the abv  around 5.6   which is an easy drinker for me 

i also think i can shorten my beer lines as well as they are at 3 metres   i might do this  before the next brew day

ozsapa1stpour.thumb.jpg.34ebfac0b9594e5925dd9bea7a21c27b.jpg

• Like 5