Coopers Community

What are you drinking in 2024?

19 hours ago, jennyss said:

A few weeks ago I said that I was enjoying two (extract) homebrews at the moment: a Coopers Pale Ale with BE2, 500g LDM and 50g of Galaxy hops added on day 10; and a Coopers Brew A IPA with 1.5kg LDM, and 25g Galaxy and 25g Cluster added on day 8. The Pale Ale is bright, light  and quite hoppy. The Brew A IPA is bitter, spicy, malty. Both yummy! Here is the photo proof @Pale Man. The Pale Ale is on the left and the Brew A IPA is on the right. I am drinking the pale ale right now - It's 5 o'clock somewhere!

20240913_164310[1].jpg

They look fantastic @jennyss, The Pale ale looks sensational.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/16/2024 at 9:31 PM, Back Brewing said:

By doing the hop additions this way when you pour it into the FV and pour the 12c on top you are cooling that wort down which stops the bittering process from the hop oil that is in the hot wort.

So BB, you don't perceive any extra bitterness using this method? Interesting. 

Edited by Tricky Micky
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Tricky Micky said:

So BB, you don't perceive any extra bitterness using this method? Interesting. 

No mate as it works in the same way as chilling the wort I've put two Roger clones side by side one with normal hop stand no chill and one with this method the one with the mini boil definitely had more aroma and flavour

By doing the mini boil when you tip it into the fermenter then pour the cooled 12c wort on top it chills it straight away and stops the bitterness extracting from the hops (isomerization)

Edited by Back Brewing
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

No mate as it works in the same way as chilling the wort I've put two Roger clones side by side one with normal hop stand no chill and one with this method the one with the mini boil definitely had more aroma and flavour

By doing the mini boil when you tip it into the fermenter then pour the cooled 12c wort on top it chills it straight away and stops the bitterness extracting from the hops (isomerization)

That's really fascinating BB - Thanks for sharing. 

• Like 3

This is the OS Coopers Lager from the Aldi kit. It looks really good, clear and pours with a nice head. The smell is a little ordinay but the taste. The taste is absolutely…disgusting. I don’t know if something went wrong but I have made two OS Lagers so far and both turned out horrible. The first time I blamed Kveik for it. I was quite excited when I saw that there was no brew enhancer in the pack but actual LME.  I fermented it with temperature control as always and ya e it enough time to ferment. I even left it in the bottle for almost 2 weeks before cracking this one. I can’t describe how it tastes. It’s not an obvious infection, so no vinegar or sour taste, nothing bandaidy, not the earthy taste I have experienced in off beers either. It just tastes awful. It reminds me of the first few beers after I restarted brewing 6 years ago. Those were the Bewitched Amber Ales from the Craft Kit. They tasted what I described as “funky”. 
I hope it isn’t supposed to taste like this though because it is truly awful 🤮 The remaining bottles will go down the sink shortly.

IMG_0514.thumb.jpeg.46dde337c0aa25316959797394b9d6a0.jpeg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 10

1 minute ago, Aussiekraut said:

This is the OS Coopers Lager from the Aldi kit. It looks really good, clear and pours with a nice head. The smell is a little ordinay but the taste. The taste is absolutely…disgusting. I don’t know if something went wrong but I have made two OS Lagers so far and both turned out horrible. The first time I blamed Kveik for it. I was quite excited when I saw that there was no brew enhancer in the pack but actual LME.  I fermented it with temperature control as always and ya e it enough time to ferment. I even left it in the bottle for almost 2 weeks before cracking this one. I can’t describe how it tastes. It’s not an obvious infection, so no vinegar or sour taste, nothing bandaidy, not the earthy taste I have experienced in off beers either. It just tastes awful. It reminds me of the first few beers after I restarted brewing 6 years ago. Those were the Bewitched Amber Ales from the Craft Kit. They tasted what I described as “funky”. 
I hope it isn’t supposed to taste like this though because it is truly awful 🤮 The remaining bottles will go down the sink shortly.

IMG_0514.thumb.jpeg.46dde337c0aa25316959797394b9d6a0.jpeg

I sort of figured it would be like that, when you bought your kit, I nearly did the same just for the hell of it, now I am glad I didn't.

It seems the old sayings are so true, you get what you pay for & there are no shortcuts to brewing a good beer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am finally back at home base for a few days respite from family dramas so had a chance to sip on some of my own beers.

Last night started off with my Premium Pale Lager which was fermented out with Dubbya and two months now in the kegs.  Photo is a bit rushed, poor lighting and condensate on the chilled glass.  This one was bittered with Summer Hops and also late boil of Summer hops.  Very nice drinking.  Its a cross between a premium lager and a pilsner.  I like it so did another 54 L batch today.

Other photo is my RyeRish Red Ale.  Again a rushed shot.  It was a chilly night last night so thought I should finish off with a darker beer and then move on to my Guinness Stout clone for a nightcap, but as I am pretty much stuffed, did not make it to the Guinness.

Premium Pale Lager 15SEP2024 - resized.png

RyeRish Red Ale 15SEP2024 - resized.png

• Like 12

3 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

I am finally back at home base for a few days respite from family dramas so had a chance to sip on some of my own beers.

Last night started off with my Premium Pale Lager which was fermented out with Dubbya and two months now in the kegs.  Photo is a bit rushed, poor lighting and condensate on the chilled glass.  This one was bittered with Summer Hops and also late boil of Summer hops.  Very nice drinking.  Its a cross between a premium lager and a pilsner.  I like it so did another 54 L batch today.

Other photo is my RyeRish Red Ale.  Again a rushed shot.  It was a chilly night last night so thought I should finish off with a darker beer and then move on to my Guinness Stout clone for a nightcap, but as I am pretty much stuffed, did not make it to the Guinness.

Premium Pale Lager 15SEP2024 - resized.png

RyeRish Red Ale 15SEP2024 - resized.png

Must be nice to be home and havin' a couple of ya own @iBooz2 - Trust your family challengers improve very soon for you all cobber 🍺 🍺

• Like 4