Coopers Community

Rasberry Sour.

Pale Man

Ive been lucky enough to be given a couple of freebies from @Hoppy81 ( its because Im so handsome and such a loyal customer 🫠 )

So a couple of those ingredients are a tin of Coopers Preacher Hefe Wheat, and two packs of Lallemand Farm House Yeast.

Its not my thing but I'm thinking of this for a summer keg for the Mrs, and me while watching the cricket. It could turn out ok.

Can of Coopers Preacher Wheat.

3 kilo of Weyerman Wheat ( partial mash )

Two bags of frozen berrys.

Farmhouse yeast.

Thoughts and ideas? Do I dry hop the berrys, or add straight off when making my wort?

This is a bit new to me.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pale Man said:

Ive been lucky enough to be given a couple of freebies from @Hoppy81 ( its because Im so handsome and such a loyal customer 🫠 )

So a couple of those ingredients are a tin of Coopers Preacher Hefe Wheat, and two packs of Lallemand Farm House Yeast.

Its not my thing but I'm thinking of this for a summer keg for the Mrs, and me while watching the cricket. It could turn out ok.

Can of Coopers Preacher Wheat.

3 kilo of Weyerman Wheat ( partial mash )

Two bags of frozen berrys.

Farmhouse yeast.

Thoughts and ideas? Do I dry hop the berrys, or add straight off when making my wort?

This is a bit new to me.

Hahaha, cracker.

I've never added frozen fruit, only ever fig juice which I believe I put it in with 10mins of the boil to go to kill any wild yeast.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Hoppy81 said:

Hahaha, cracker.

I've never added frozen fruit, only ever fig juice which I believe I put it in with 10mins of the boil to go to kill any wild yeast.

Yeah I'm thinking that too bro. Smash the lot up and add at flame out with my wheat mash. Hopefully two bags adds some pink colour and flavour.

You know how much I love pink beer 😘

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Hoppy81 said:

A mate dry hops them, he has never had an issue as I believe frozen does the same thing???

If you freeze beer yeast, its still viable. I would have thought wild nasty yeast would be the same situation. Dont know really.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

If you freeze beer yeast, its still viable. I would have thought wild nasty yeast would be the same situation. Dont know really.

Yeah ive never looked into it as I don't do Sours, I'm sure someone on here will know the answer.

• Like 1

Just now, Hoppy81 said:

Yeah ive never looked into it as I don't do Sours, I'm sure someone on here will know the answer.

Just overthinking as usual my man. I'll just wing it. Might even chuck in 3 bags of berrys to keep the girls happy.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Just overthinking as usual my man. I'll just wing it. Might even chuck in 3 bags of berrys to keep the girls happy.

I am just drinking a raspberry sour in my new glass now after mowing the lawn. I’ve used frozen raspberries quite a few times now i just sanitise the bag they are in before opening and add them in a dry hop bag just as fermentation is nearly finished! I leave them for about 4days then keg! I tried racking to another fermenter before adding the fruit to avoiding the trub but didn’t bother last time and i can’t taste any difference! This one had a kilo in it!

IMG_6545.jpeg

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 9

15 hours ago, RDT2 said:

I am just drinking a raspberry sour in my new glass now after mowing the lawn. I’ve used frozen raspberries quite a few times now i just sanitise the bag they are in before opening and add them in a dry hop bag just as fermentation is nearly finished! I leave them for about 4days then keg! I tried racking to another fermenter before adding the fruit to avoiding the trub but didn’t bother last time and i can’t taste any difference! This one had a kilo in it!

IMG_6545.jpeg

Looks nice and refreshing.

Just wondering, if I cube my beer, can I throw the raspberrys in the cube and leave for a few days?

47 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Looks nice and refreshing.

Just wondering, if I cube my beer, can I throw the raspberrys in the cube and leave for a few days?

Hey mate,

You shouldn't have any worries just adding them to the fermenter. I've done frozen berries and haven't had any issues. I'd probably avoid adding it to the mash or into the cube. Disclaimer: I haven't done it but have read it adds a stewed or cooked flavour instead of the fresh flavour you're probably after.

This covers most ways of adding fruit to a brew and is worth a look if you are gunna give it a go: BYO adding fruit

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Popo the Degenerate said:

Hey mate,

You shouldn't have any worries just adding them to the fermenter. I've done frozen berries and haven't had any issues. I'd probably avoid adding it to the mash or into the cube. Disclaimer: I haven't done it but have read it adds a stewed or cooked flavour instead of the fresh flavour you're probably after.

This covers most ways of adding fruit to a brew and is worth a look if you are gunna give it a go: BYO adding fruit

Ok cheers for that. Will do then, into the fermenter.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Hilltop hops said:

Last time I did a raspberry sour I added 1 kg of frozen raspberries to FV in a grain bag for a few days after fermentation finished. Also used Philly Sour yeast. 

After a bit of thought the agenda has changed. I'm now going to brew an all grain raspberry wheat beer.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pale Man said:

After a bit of thought the agenda has changed. I'm now going to brew an all grain raspberry wheat beer.

That sounds interesting, let us know how you go. I had a Maisel Weizen with mango once, bloody delicious, But I think they added some form of mango juice while pouring the beer into the glass. I have to try it one day. So many beautiful beers to be brewed and so little time

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I was planning on doing a stout next, but I wouldn't mind getting a sour in while we still have summer. The Summer Berry Sour recipe looks simple enough, but 5.4% sounds a bit high on the alcohol. Anyone have ideas to bring it down while still remaining tasty? I'm thinking replacing the Thomas Coopers Light Malt Extract (1.5kg) with a BE2 might work. Maybe even take it from 20L to 23L.

3 hours ago, ChairmanDrew said:

I was planning on doing a stout next, but I wouldn't mind getting a sour in while we still have summer. The Summer Berry Sour recipe looks simple enough, but 5.4% sounds a bit high on the alcohol. Anyone have ideas to bring it down while still remaining tasty? I'm thinking replacing the Thomas Coopers Light Malt Extract (1.5kg) with a BE2 might work. Maybe even take it from 20L to 23L.

Taking it to 23l would help it get down.

• Like 1

I've got a question regarding Thomas Coopers Preacher's Hefe Wheat; "Today the working man’s prayers are answered with this Belgian style wheat beer."

So is it a Hefe, or a wit? 😄 We can't buy that product here, so I'll have to replace it with the equivalent.

8 hours ago, ChairmanDrew said:

Sour beers do not need to be overly high ABV.  Push it out to 23 litres and add 1 kg of Brew Enhancer/Light Dry Malt for just over 4% ABV once bottled.  It will still be very tasty.

1 hour ago, ChairmanDrew said:

I've got a question regarding Thomas Coopers Preacher's Hefe Wheat; "Today the working man’s prayers are answered with this Belgian style wheat beer."

So is it a Hefe, or a wit? 😄 We can't buy that product here, so I'll have to replace it with the equivalent.

I think TC Preacher's Hefe Wheat is both a Hefe and a Wit (or White Beer).  It ticks the suspended yeast box.  Plus it is a pale beer so also ticks the Wit box.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Sour beers do not need to be overly high ABV.  Push it out to 23 litres and add 1 kg of Brew Enhancer/Light Dry Malt for just over 4% ABV once bottled.  It will still be very tasty.

Yeah, in my experience they usually aren't very high. Low ABV sours make for a good summer squencher I reckon. I'll use a BE2 because I've got a bunch of them stockpiled from when they were on special...

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I think TC Preacher's Hefe Wheat is both a Hefe and a Wit (or White Beer).  It ticks the suspended yeast box.  Plus it is a pale beer so also ticks the Wit box.

I'll probably just go with a hefe kit then, if for no other reason than they are cheaper than the Belgian Wit cans available 😄

EDIT: Just ordered a can of Blackrock Whispering Wheat and WildBrew Philly Sour Yeast, so in a few days time I'll be making a sour (probably with blueberries).

Edited by ChairmanDrew
  • Like 1

On 12/9/2023 at 9:15 PM, RDT2 said:

IMG_6545.jpeg

The beer looks good but I wouldn't trust that glass from 12 to midday. Small footprint and a high centre of gravity. That's a recipe for disaster in my hands🙂 

• Haha 1

On 12/10/2023 at 4:12 PM, Pale Man said:

How did this turn out? Does the Farmhouse Ale yeast work for a sour?

5 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

How did this turn out? Does the Farmhouse Ale yeast work for a sour?

Nope.  It is not a sour.  I used it in an Amber Saison a little while ago.  Hay bale aroma with a little spice.  Similar flavour.  Pleasant but different.  Full "What are you drinking" post here.

17 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Nope.  It is not a sour.  I used it in an Amber Saison a little while ago.  Hay bale aroma with a little spice.  Similar flavour.  Pleasant but different.  Full "What are you drinking" post here.

Thanks Shamus. I didn't think it'd be particularly sour. Farmhouse Ales can have a bit of a sourish twang for lack of a better word but generally, they have this specific aftertaste. I don't know how to describe it. I do have a pack of Lallemand Farmhouse yeast and will try it one day but the neer probably wants to be carefully considered. 

• Like 1