Coopers Community

Rasberry Sour.

Pale Man

On 2/10/2024 at 9:10 AM, Aussiekraut said:

How did this turn out? Does the Farmhouse Ale yeast work for a sour?

Sorry for the late reply AK, Ive been in the sin bin for two weeks. I didn't get around to brewing this, a few other all grains got in the way.

I will revisit it though as I'm keen. I probably would go with a proper sour yeast, not farmhouse.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, how long does a sour take to make? It's been close to 2 weeks in the fermentor but the hydrometer readings tell me it's still going. A quick google search came up with this:

"a sour ale can take months to ferment and is typically aged for one to three years."

I wasn't counting on it using up my brewing real estate for that long 😅

56 minutes ago, ChairmanDrew said:

Hey guys, how long does a sour take to make? It's been close to 2 weeks in the fermentor but the hydrometer readings tell me it's still going. A quick google search came up with this:

"a sour ale can take months to ferment and is typically aged for one to three years."

I wasn't counting on it using up my brewing real estate for that long 😅

Are you using philly sour yeast as it should take about a week or there abouts. I usually add my raspberries about day 4 or 5 and keg about 4 days later! They would be talking about ridgy didge sours like flanders reds with the roselare yeast etc 

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

Are you using philly sour yeast as it should take about a week or there abouts. I usually add my raspberries about day 4 or 5 and keg about 4 days later! They would be talking about ridgy didge sours like flanders reds with the roselare yeast etc 

Yeah, Philly Sour. It was a slow starter, which from what I've read is pretty normal. I reckon it should be almost done as the ABV is now at about where I expected it. I just don't want it to ferment out the berries when I put them in.

On 12/10/2023 at 11:22 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Whatever path you take, I will add my voice to the calls for adding the fruit in a hop bag or similar, into the FV toward the end of fermentation.

i dont add in a hop bag but i do add when it is below 1020 1016  as if you dont it takes a lot of flavour  ,In the past 6 yrs i think i have done at least 12 or more brews with raspberry's and the later the better .... i have done it with acidulated malt up to 15%  have done it as a sour .... just as fruit beer ...... with dry enzyme  the later the better  i usually use 1.5 to 2 kg of r

frozen raspberry

and love it ..... But in saying that we all have different tastes have even tried it as a ipa with enigma mix cheers enjoy

Edited by therealthing691
  • Like 3