Coopers Community

Choccy Milk Stout - April 2023 Recipe of the Month

3 hours ago, SRN said:

The recipe for this stout calls for two carbonation drops per long neck. Isn't that too much fizz for a stout?

If you plan to drink this brew early, two carbonation drops will be fine.  At 5% ABV, this is not really a brew to be aged anyway.  However, if you think you might store this beer away for a year before drinking then, 1 carb drop is not a bad idea.

• Like 3

This is next in my brew queue after the current pale ale! Missed out on the ROTM kit but I’ve picked up the bit separately. I might add some extra lactose to enhance the sweetness a bit for the wife. How much extra could I reasonably add?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NBillett09 said:

This is next in my brew queue after the current pale ale! Missed out on the ROTM kit but I’ve picked up the bit separately. I might add some extra lactose to enhance the sweetness a bit for the wife. How much extra could I reasonably add?

Looking at similar recipes in the Coopers range, you could easily add another 100-150g of Lactose, possibly even a little bit more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/10/2023 at 2:46 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

If you plan to drink this brew early, two carbonation drops will be fine.  At 5% ABV, this is not really a brew to be aged anyway.  However, if you think you might store this beer away for a year before drinking then, 1 carb drop is not a bad idea.

I can never understand why coopers recommend that. Many on here have even admitted the bottles absorb or lose part of the carbonation.

In my experience even well sealed PET for a year and good temp conditions. 2 is not enough let alone one.

They could maby say 1 and a half for a dark style that typically has less carbonation.

I have had 2 carb drops in crown seal longneck for a year and still though it could use another. 

Just me maby 😃 or maby muzzy and his method. Ever stored one for 12 months with just the 2 carb drops @Malter White?

• Like 2

All of my beers are gone in a fairly short time, even the few that I bottle, I prefer to appreciate the hoppy flavours & the freshness. There are the odd exceptions, dark ales, stouts but there is no point storing Pale Ales or IPA's as you lose too much aroma & freshness. IMO white sugar instead of carb drops seem to hold the carbonation longer.

At the end of the day I am happy kegging with the odd few in a bottle.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stickers said:

i've never done the stout can, should i be thinking of using the krausen collar for this one?

I would but I err on the side of caution.  It might turn out that it was not needed.  Better to have to clean a Krausen collar than the bottom of a fermenting fridge/space.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've done a few stouts. But only bottle in glass.

My experience has been that with aging for say 9 months or longer they do build up good head of steam.  😉 I'm guessing some of the sugars in the dark malt takes a long time to ferment.

Normally I prime my beers 8.2gr a litre. (Mostly dark ales) 

Always reduce the stouts now to about 6-7gr. Most stouts don't get touched till they are 6 months.

• Like 3

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, AllysonMercado said:

It sounds like a delicious brew! I noticed that the recipe is available in pdf format, which is awesome for those of us outside of Australia who want to give it a try. If you click on the recipe name in red, you can see it on the Coopers website, which is really handy.Speaking of trying new things, I've recently been experimenting a lot with my cooking. I've been trying to incorporate more coconut milk into my recipes, and to save some money, I've been buying coconut milk powder bulk. It's been a game-changer! Having the powder on hand makes it so easy to whip up a creamy curry or a tasty dessert whenever the mood strikes.

Yes, it's very handy having someone like @Shamus O'Sean around posting the pdf's into the forum. You can also find many recipe pdf's in the Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ben 10 said:

Nice spam, well done.

Leave now please.

Yeah I know that Coopers have filters in place for those that wish to join, but sometimes entities are able to get through.