Coopers Community

Floating Corny Keg Lid (aka The Corny Floater)

Tricky Micky

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Hoppy81 said:

20230402_144059.thumb.jpg.744646549954893aa915b2e2a4f014b9.jpg

I hope you have done some testing.  The silicone tube has to be a light gauge.  I found, with a too thick tube, it did not flex enough, so the float did not float.  The strength in the tube held the float under the surface. 

Another lighter tube had a slight bend in it, that you could not see when it hung loosely.  However, in the confines of a Fermenter King Junior fermenter, it kinked like a garden hose and the flow stopped.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I hope you have done some testing.  The silicone tube has to be a light gauge.  I found, with a too thick tube, it did not flex enough, so the float did not float.  The strength in the tube held the float under the surface. 

Another lighter tube had a slight bend in it, that you could not see when it hung loosely.  However, in the confines of a Fermenter King Junior fermenter, it kinked like a garden hose and the flow stopped.

Nah haven't tested it yet mate, it's the Fermzilla dip tubes cut to length for a corny, see how we go I suppose, hopefully it works ok.

• Like 4

I like the idea I looked at these a few years ago but didn't buy back then.

I watched another YouTube video where the brewer just cut the dip tube down by about 2 to 5cm off memory 

I did this on one of my keg's as a experiment.

Other than say loosing a few pots it does work for me maybe leaves a litre of crap in the bottom of the keg .

• Like 3

On 3/14/2023 at 10:11 AM, Hoppy81 said:

These are about half the price, Just change your liquid dip tube to a gas tube and whack one of these on.

kl17060_-_stainless_float_80cm_silicone_dip_tube_dip_tube_filter-02.jpg

All of my cornies have this setup now @Trickymicky . Pretty happy with them. Just take out the metal dip tube and fix this. Works great 👍 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Quick question with these floating dip tubes with a ball and filter attached is it then necessary to detach the tubing from the gas in post from inside the keg after each brew and clean and sanitise them.....Is that how you guys are cleaning them or are you just running SP and sanitiser through the line?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tricky Micky said:

Quick question with these floating dip tubes with a ball and filter attached is it then necessary to detach the tubing from the gas in post from inside the keg after each brew and clean and sanitise them.....Is that how you guys are cleaning them or are you just running SP and sanitiser through the line?

I just run sanitiser through it. But I’ve not touched the gas line, only replaced the long beer tube with a short one, and pushed the silicone pipe with the ball and filter on the end. It’s such a PITA to get the silicone tube on you probably wouldn’t want to take it off afterwards 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Sorry , PJ - wasn't clear with my comment. Hoppy talks of replacing the original beer post and dip tube with a new gas post with the short connector attached.

That makes sense. So my question relates to do we need to detach the plastic tube, ball and filter from the new gas post (replacing the beer post) to clean it or can we just run SP and sanitiser through it.

I think Sainter has addressed that for me. Cheers!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, stquinto said:

I just run sanitiser through it. But I’ve not touched the gas line, only replaced the long beer tube with a short one, and pushed the silicone pipe with the ball and filter on the end. It’s such a PITA to get the silicone tube on you probably wouldn’t want to take it off afterwards 🤣

I had this same problem when building the keggerator using barb fittings, I went for slightly larger 5mm ID hose. Also pre warmed hose to soften it up and applied heaps of lube to each barb. It could have been enough lube for a group session if ya get the drift 😉. It was still a PITA to get each one on

Edited by Uhtred Of Beddanburg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

I had this same problem when building the keggerator using barb fittings, I went for slightly larger 5mm ID hose. Also pre warmed hose to soften it up and applied heaps of lube to each barb. It could have been enough lube for a group session if ya get the drift 😉. It was still a PITA to get each one on

I managed with putting the hose in hot water for a minute of so. The problem is getting your hand in the keg but still being able to manipulate the hose. So once you're got it on, you aint taking it off 😉

I'm not sure about the lube: I greased up the ring for a cornie keg lid like I saw in a you tube vid, but it kept sliding off so wasn't properly sealed, I ended up losing half of a gas bottle.

But coming back to the original question @Tricky Micky I'm quite happy with the system, cheap enough, and it works for me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tricky Micky said:

Sorry , PJ - wasn't clear with my comment. Hoppy talks of replacing the original beer post and dip tube with a new gas post with the short connector attached.

That makes sense. So my question relates to do we need to detach the plastic tube, ball and filter from the new gas post (replacing the beer post) to clean it or can we just run SP and sanitiser through it.

I think Sainter has addressed that for me. Cheers!

Thanks for the reply. I am doing the same at the moment setting up a floating dip tube hence my interest. I bought one of those Keg Lids with Liquid Corny Post to see how that goes as well.      

I don't think it will improve the beer anymore it's more of a convenience in that you can pull the whole thing out in one piece.

Bit expensive to do all the Kegs with the lids though. If it works out they could be done over time.

• Like 2

@stquinto I ended up using screw in clamps from the hardware store for safe measure. Although when I changed a Liquid ball lock disconnect that was playing up it was so hard to get off i had to cut it either side. I doubt putting the clamps on would have mattered. When I got a spare set up for travel party kegs or the spare fridge. I did just go for screw in fittings and duo tights, despite reading they wear out within years.

And yes on topic again I have never worried much about clear beer although I may try and convert one of my kegs and see how it goes. The cheap plastic kegs come with the filters minus the sinking ball but I never put them in. I haven't even used them to dispense beer yet just clean the kegerator lines out. Although I do plan on putting some of a future beer into one to use as a traveler.  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Tricky Micky said:

Although I do not use the floating dip tubes on my kegs, I do use them in all my pressure fermenters.  I do not remove the tubes for cleaning.  I run either pure Sodium Percarbonate through them or Oxysan soaker for 15 minutes using a Kegland Bucket Blaster.  Then run rinsing water through them for 10 minutes.  Then let them air dry

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Although I do not use the floating dip tubes on my kegs, I do use them in all my pressure fermenters.  I do not remove the tubes for cleaning.  I run either pure Sodium Percarbonate through them or Oxysan soaker for 15 minutes using a Kegland Bucket Blaster.  Then run rinsing water through them for 10 minutes.  Then let them air dry

How do you like the Keg Land Bucket Blaster, does it work OK on Corny Kegs?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pickles Jones said:

How do you like the Keg Land Bucket Blaster, does it work OK on Corny Kegs?

Hey PJ, it seems to do the job well.  I usually rinse out any yeast with my garden hose first.  Then 3 teaspoons of pure Sodium Percarbonate into 6 litres of hot tap water.  The Bucket Blaster has a beer and gas disconnect, which are connected to the relevant post on the keg.  So cleaner is pushed up the gas and beer dip tubes and the central tube squirts cleaner up inside the keg.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1