Coopers Community

Powdered beer. Just add water?

Malter White

5 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

It seems you have to subscribe to read the article Malter, it appears then tells you to fork out some coin to continue reading.

Hmmm. I don't have a subscription but was able to read it.🤔 I found it through Google news.

• Like 1

Yuck! 

Yeah, I am not sure how you can dry CO2 and alcohol, but I suppose they use some sort of a binding agent, which then dissolves. 

Either way, only in the eastern states of Germany can they concoct something like that. 

🤮🤢

• Haha 1

Well, I better add to this, the whole concept sounds a bit dodgy, why mess with something that's been around for hundreds of years & keeps getting better and better?

Deb Mashed Potato, Instant Batters & lots of other 'just add water' items keep appearing but although they may resemble the real thing they taste like 💩

• Like 2

You could say that powdered beer is just extract beer taken a bit further.  And one of the videos made a point about how mad and costly to package a product with lots of water in it, then pay heaps to get it transported across a country or the world.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Cheap Charlie said:

Our friends from the sub continent have been doing this for some time apparently..

The first time I heard of "instant" beer was in the 80s, when the French had this glorious idea to make beer syrup, fill it in kegs and then, similar to the soft drink syrups, mix it with soda water et voila, here's your "beer". It was mainly meant for the export market as it is cheaper to ship.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Coopers dehydrate their wort, so home brewers can rehydrate. Its not far from what these people are doing.

Its not as nice as brewing all grain. But it suffices to people. To poo it up is turning your back on beer. I'd give it a shot. Nothing phases me.

I don't know if you can compare the two tbh. One is dehydrated/concentrated wort, the other is the end product in powder form. While the goo from the cans is somewhat inferiour to a fresh AG wort, the beer that comes out is still a decent beer. I am not sure if this adjective applies to powdered beer.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Do all German breweries brew to this guideline? Genuine question as I'm unsure.

1 hour ago, beach_life said:

I wouldn't think so

In the article about the powder it says that the brewery doing it decided to do this after getting permission from a court to add a sugar syrup to a darker heavier beer. So as far as i know its still a law and the only difference is barley changed to grains. But as this brewery did they can apply for exemption's for different styles. 

• Like 2