Coopers Community

What are you drinking in 2023?

Aussiekraut

Correct thread for the one on the left. It's a Taste Test Challenge, Coopers Dark Ale by The O'Connorwery, a.k.a. 004, bottled 12/6/23, vs Dark Ale by Coopers Brewery, a.k.a. Cooper's Brown, Best After 24/4/22.

IMG_20230910_182659368.thumb.jpg.d729366dda8d9ed4e61a68a4634b6840.jpg

Brown was poured first but 004 produced a bigger head. Brown had ever so slightly better retention and better lacing by a whisker. I'd need a spectrometer to separate the colours.

Brown had a much more noticable aroma.

Brown had slightly more carbonation (004 was in a 568ml bottle primed as a 500ml) and a little more body.

Brown had a malty and quite roasty flavour. 004 tasted roasty over the chloramine twang, any maltiness was sitting quietly in the back seat.

• Like 8

I am trying one of the Real Ale bottles that was left over from the keg, 3 weeks in the bottle & quite lively & it still has a nice hop presence, I got 8 x 500ml bottles but there isn't much point trying to age these, they may last the week out as I think the keg is getting low. I must say it tastes heaps better from the keg.

RealAle.thumb.jpg.547ee13ded058c4650e339b94d9d8cc9.jpg

• Like 5

I picked up my neighbour's from the Airport as they have been in the Gold Coast for a week or so & Paul said he was hanging out for a beer, so we had a few. My beer was a bit lively being the first pour.

How many of you knew there was a Coopers Alehouse at the Adelaide Airport, great idea, but a pint will set you back $18.00.

https://www.adelaideairport.com.au/explore/shop-eat-enjoy/dining/coopers-alehouse/

realale2.thumb.jpg.bb4e34fb7456962975ca38e74b088561.jpg

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I picked up my neighbour's from the Airport as they have been in the Gold Coast for a week or so & Paul said he was hanging out for a beer, so we had a few. My beer was a bit lively being the first pour.

How many of you knew there was a Coopers Alehouse at the Adelaide Airport, great idea, but a pint will set you back $18.00.

https://www.adelaideairport.com.au/explore/shop-eat-enjoy/dining/coopers-alehouse/

realale2.thumb.jpg.bb4e34fb7456962975ca38e74b088561.jpg

Had many Coopers beers at the Adelaide Airport, calming the nerves before a flight.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

At Singapore airport, they wanted something like $18 for a VB some 5 years ago. 

Outrageous, my neighbors have been in the Gold Coast for a week & Paul said 2 drinks & 2 Entrees cost him $60.00.

The main courses were all $45+ & he thought they could avoid spending too much by having an entree.

• Sad 1

Another Taste Test Challenge: Coopers Sparkling Ale from The O'Connorwery, a.k.a. 002, bottled 22/5/23, vs Sparkling Ale from Coopers Brewery, a.k.a. Coopers Red, Best After 7/8/22.

IMG_20230911_190618926.thumb.jpg.c63be2f7bfe75f350717fae6ddf39d57.jpg

002 had a smaller head which faded rapidly. Red, poured first, had a large head, good retention and plenty of lasting lacing. 002 had none.

002 had a subdued aroma. Red had a bready/malty aroma. Red had good, lasting carbonation. 002 was significantly flatter, I think this bottle probably only got one, maybe one and a half carbonation drops. It wasn't marked as an exbeeriment so I'm gonna blame it on my priming & capping assistant.

Red had a fresh malty/bready, bitter taste. 002 had a subdued maltiness and the bitterness overwhelmed the residual chloramine twang (this may have been assisted by the low carbonation).

Red was a far superior Sparkling Ale but 002 presented as an acceptable but unremarkable pale ale.

• Like 6

@Kegory, There's a big difference in colour too - why is that do you think?

I am just starting to drink my first try at Coopers Innkeepers Daughter Sparkling Ale. I have been visiting my father who is a homebrewer, and also enjoys Coopers Sparkling Ale in the cans.  He tasted mine and presented the theory that "of Coopers wouldn't let want their homebrewers to make Sparkling Ale as good as the cans". A bit of a back hander I thought!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, jennyss said:

I am just starting to drink my first try at Coopers Innkeepers Daughter Sparkling Ale. I have been visiting my father who is a homebrewer, and also enjoys Coopers Sparkling Ale in the cans.  He tasted mine and presented the theory that "of Coopers wouldn't let want their homebrewers to make Sparkling Ale as good as the cans". A bit of a back hander I thought!

I attribute the colour difference to the cans @jennyss. I have read many times that liquid malt extract continues to darken as it ages. Perhaps if you could get one straight off the production line the colour difference would be negligible. Dry malt extract apparently does not suffer the same darkening but I haven't tried making any beers with only dry malt extract yet.

My amber beers made with Mr Beer Amber Ale LME also came out considerably darker than I'd hoped. @Brauhaus Fritz posted a picture of his Autumn Amber Ale and it had a lovely colour but mine was very dark. I'm guessing he got fresher cans than I did.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, jennyss said:

Regarding your father's comment, Coopers use a different yeast to the ones they supply for homebrewers. The dried yeast they supply for DIYers is designed to withstand the rigours of shipping and to successfully ferment in a range of conditions. However, if one harvested the yeast from their bottles and did everything else right I reckon you could get pretty close.

• Like 2

Yet another Taste Test Challenge: Fuku Japanese Lager FWK, a.k.a. 008, bottled 13/8/23, conditioned 18 days, lagered 12 days, vs Asahi, Best Before 4/4/24.

IMG_20230912_194425816.thumb.jpg.05c5297b4a1d4f30cf4a1d9817338bbd.jpg

I did a little exbeerimentation with the priming. This bottle of 008 was primed with carbonation drops (1.5).

The Asahi (poured first) was a shade darker and produced a bigger head. 008 had better head retention and minimal lacing. The Asahi had none. 009 had finer bubbles streaming up through the center.

IMG_20230912_195959351.thumb.jpg.2f132369d59b64488d1bdd35ce8a21dd.jpg

The Asahi has a very mild aroma, hints of bread to me. 009, ah, ok, I'm pretty sure that's acetaldehyde. I've never been able to pick it before but, as they say, there's nowhere to hide in a lager (unless they are dark and/or hoppy lagers).

The Asahi had a mild, clean, crisp, dry, mildy bitter taste with a slightly sweet aftertaste. 009 had an acetaldehyde taste (more cut pumpkin to me, I've been smelling them, than green apple but I can kind of see what they mean) but looking past that it was dry and crisp with a mild bitterness, but it had a slightly sweeter aftertaste.

• Like 8

American Wheat beer 4 days in the keg and my first impression is this beer is dangerously smashable and would be awesome in summer! I used Simcoe the whole way through the boil and it just comes through to give a nice citrus note??? I taste the yeast just, so it plays nicely with the hops and malt! Nice beer interesting to see it in a couple of weeks! Head all the way as expected with over half the grist in wheat!

IMG_1580.jpeg

• Like 11

Hazy IPA really hoppy and delicious! It has Galaxy, Mosaic and Simcoe late. Then Mosaic for the first dry hop and Simcoe, Idaho 7 and Galaxy in the next dry hop! I used a harvested coastal haze yeast which I made a starter for! Really hoppy, I mean happy!

IMG_1581.jpeg

• Like 10

9 hours ago, RDT2 said:

American Wheat beer 4 days in the keg and my first impression is this beer is dangerously smashable and would be awesome in summer! I used Simcoe the whole way through the boil and it just comes through to give a nice citrus note??? I taste the yeast just, so it plays nicely with the hops and malt! Nice beer interesting to see it in a couple of weeks! Head all the way as expected with over half the grist in wheat!

IMG_1580.jpeg

Hey RDT2, what yeast did you use in that brew.  I am planning an American Wheat Beer in a few months.  But I am unsure of what yeast to use.  Some recipes use a clean yeast like US-05 and some use a wheat yeast.  I guess the clean yeast makes it more "American".

10 hours ago, RDT2 said:

Hazy IPA really hoppy and delicious! It has Galaxy, Mosaic and Simcoe late. Then Mosaic for the first dry hop and Simcoe, Idaho 7 and Galaxy in the next dry hop! I used a harvested coastal haze yeast which I made a starter for! Really hoppy, I mean happy!

IMG_1581.jpeg

Looks nice mate, I have a stack of those glasses, they are great.

11 hours ago, Kegory said:

Yet another Taste Test Challenge: Fuku Japanese Lager FWK, a.k.a. 008, bottled 13/8/23, conditioned 18 days, lagered 12 days, vs Asahi, Best Before 4/4/24.

IMG_20230912_194425816.thumb.jpg.05c5297b4a1d4f30cf4a1d9817338bbd.jpg

I did a little exbeerimentation with the priming. This bottle of 008 was primed with carbonation drops (1.5).

The Asahi (poured first) was a shade darker and produced a bigger head. 008 had better head retention and minimal lacing. The Asahi had none. 009 had finer bubbles streaming up through the center.

IMG_20230912_195959351.thumb.jpg.2f132369d59b64488d1bdd35ce8a21dd.jpg

The Asahi has a very mild aroma, hints of bread to me. 009, ah, ok, I'm pretty sure that's acetaldehyde. I've never been able to pick it before but, as they say, there's nowhere to hide in a lager (unless they are dark and/or hoppy lagers).

The Asahi had a mild, clean, crisp, dry, mildy bitter taste with a slightly sweet aftertaste. 009 had an acetaldehyde taste (more cut pumpkin to me, I've been smelling them, than green apple but I can kind of see what they mean) but looking past that it was dry and crisp with a mild bitterness, but it had a slightly sweeter aftertaste.

You should try just plain withe sugar, you would get a much better head from my experience, 1 x tsp = 4.1gms for a Longneck, 1/2 for a Stubby.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

You should try just plain withe sugar, you would get a much better head from my experience, 1 x tsp = 4.1gms for a Longneck, 1/2 for a Stubby.

I did. It's a mixed priming exbeeriment. 1/3 sugar, 1/3 carb drops, 1/3 dextrose.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I meant just sugar; I have been doing it for years, always a great head.

I only bottle what I can't keg these days but still just plain white sugar.

Yeah, 1/3 are just sugar, 1/3 are just carb drops, and 1/3 are just dextrose. The last one was 1/2 just sugar and 1/2 just dextrose. The next one is 1/4 just sugar, 1/4 just brown sugar, 1/4 just dextrose, and 1/4 just LDM.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hey RDT2, what yeast did you use in that brew.  I am planning an American Wheat Beer in a few months.  But I am unsure of what yeast to use.  Some recipes use a clean yeast like US-05 and some use a wheat yeast.  I guess the clean yeast makes it more "American".

Hey Shamus I used the white lab’s American Hefeweizen WLP320 as it was expired and half

price so I made a viability starter and fermented at 22degrees. I’d never made one before but it was half price so I thought I would give it a crack.  Tastes nothing like the German wheat!

• Like 3