Coopers Community

Discord

JimInCollie

Recently  I responded to a pop-up inviting me to install Discord so I could chat to my Cooper's community forums friends in a Facebook-y way. Thinking it was a recommendation from you guys, I installed it. Now it has taken over my computer, popping up and running itself at inappropriate times, and it has nothing to do with brewing.

Have any of you had a similar experience?

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, JimInCollie said:

Recently  I responded to a pop-up inviting me to install Discord so I could chat to my Cooper's community forums friends in a Facebook-y way. Thinking it was a recommendation from you guys, I installed it. Now it has taken over my computer, popping up and running itself at inappropriate times, and it has nothing to do with brewing.

Have any of you had a similar experience?

Mate just uninstall it, it will be fine, I had it to & it's all clear now.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Coopers DIY Beer Team said:

Yep, that sounds malicious. Uninstall it at the very least. 

It is like a chatroom/communication app  -  Discord is a VoIP and instant messaging social platform. Users have the ability to communicate with voice calls, video calls, text messaging, media and files in private chats or as part of communities…

Discord.app

• Like 1

David, Terminal, Classic, Admin, Old Bloke, Joe, and Members - thanks for your replies, and also the assurance that Discord is nothing to do with brewing or the Coopers family. As soon as I could see it was a nuisance of no interest to me I decided to delete it, but thought it might be worth checking with you first.

Thanks again,

JimInCollie

Edited by JimInCollie
add signature
  • Like 5

Actually Discord is a very good and powerful method of communication, it is used extensively worldwide and I do not agree that it is crappy software. Maybe it will not suit some here, but do not write it off as something useless, it may not suit some individuals here, but that does not detract from its utility.

Edited by kmar92
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

Actually Discord is a very good and powerful method of communication, it is used extensively worldwide and I do not agree that it is crappy software. Maybe it will not suit some here, but do not write it off as something useless, it may not suit some individuals here, but that does not detract from its utility.

If you have a use for it, well & good, I knew it wasn't a threat, but I don't need it.

The only 2 brewing groups i know on discord are Brewfather  and the The Homebrew network 

discord itself is safe   but if you install it from a foreign source that you are not aware off  then treat it as malicious 
and uninstall it  

I use discord quite a bit   but always download from their website  and also  beaware Telegram is a similar app
and both are designed for Gamers

• Like 3

10 hours ago, ozdevil said:

The only 2 brewing groups i know on discord are Brewfather  and the The Homebrew network 

discord itself is safe   but if you install it from a foreign source that you are not aware off  then treat it as malicious 
and uninstall it  

I use discord quite a bit   but always download from their website  and also  beaware Telegram is a similar app
and both are designed for Gamers

I first discovered it on Keg Land's website when I joined the Brew Father Facebook group & it installed itself, I couldn't get much sense out of it so I un-installed it.

In fact, I can't get much sense out of any that either & don't use it.

12 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I first discovered it on Keg Land's website when I joined the Brew Father Facebook group & it installed itself, I couldn't get much sense out of it so I un-installed it.

In fact, I can't get much sense out of any that either & don't use it.

i use it quite a fair bit as its part of a sidekick  to a hobby of mine

its a useful tool once a person understands it and has a need for it

its like a forum, a chat, and video conferencing in 1 application

however  i wouldn't use it, if i had no need for it

On 10/24/2022 at 6:58 PM, kmar92 said:

Sure mate..... just seems to me we have all gotten along without it so far (not being a luddite either)

• Like 2