Coopers Community

Coopers Longnecks

terminal2k

2 hours ago, terminal2k said:

It is good to update your brand & I am all for enhancing logos/images etc but possibly the downside to the 'lighterweight' longneck bottles may affect home brewers who are using them to bottle. We will have to wait & see, I have about 400 longnecks so I think they will see me out !!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

It is good to update your brand & I am all for enhancing logos/images etc but possibly the downside to the 'lighterweight' longneck bottles may affect home brewers who are using them to bottle. We will have to wait & see, I have about 400 longnecks so I think they will see me out !!

Like wise, I have enough Longnecks to see me through..

If it's true that we are seeing the end of the Glass longneck, sad day.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Like wise, I have enough Longnecks to see me through..

If it's true that we are seeing the end of the Glass longneck, sad day.

I also have about 200 Grolsch bottles & quantity of Hef'e so I ain't going to run out anytime soon.

BTW I also have boxes of PET bottles that I no longer want or use, probably 10 x cartons so if anyone is interested it will cost you a couple of 6 packs of decent craft brew ( not 330ml )

I will be posting on the appropriate Buy, Swap or Sell thread that our good friend AL @iBooz2 created.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I have about 400 longnecks so I think they will see me out !!

Me too some of them probably should be in the museum though they are so heavy and thick. I dropped one on the tiles about 5years ago🫣 as it went down like a brick and tile glider I was heading for the broom to clean up the smashed glass. But to my amazement it landed on the bottle opening/mouth part of the bottle and bounced about four times leaving a perfect half round chip in the tiles. If it was a crime show it would of been a perfect fracture fit and I’d be in jail. Dad mentioned the other day he has more crates of bottles if I need any more. He’s had them for well over forty years, so who knows how old they are. 

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

Me too some of them probably should be in the museum though they are so heavy and thick. I dropped one on the tiles about 5years ago🫣 as it went down like a brick and tile glider I was heading for the broom to clean up the smashed glass. But to my amazement it landed on the bottle opening/mouth part of the bottle and bounced about four times leaving a perfect half round chip in the tiles. If it was a crime show it would of been a perfect fracture fit and I’d be in jail. Dad mentioned the other day he has more crates of bottles if I need any more. He’s had them for well over forty years, so who knows how old they are. 

I have quite a few with the old Pickaxe logo on them, as strong as. I must clean a few up just for the hell of it.

Coopers was the first SA brewery to stop using Pickaxe bottles, about 1996. The story goes that as Coopers began sending more beer interstate more of the bottles would never be returned, which was uneconomical.

The South Australian Brewing Company, which is now owned by the Japanese via Lion, used Pickaxe bottles until a few years after Coopers stopped, for its Southwark beers.

Edited by Classic Brewing Co

4 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

I like the new label, as for lightweight bottles doesn't fuss me. Better for camping i guess.

I agree the label design looks heaps better & for those that recycle will still probably get their 10c refund.

The local Recycling depot near me has wised up & they sell the Coopers Longnecks to the home brewer's that ask for them, they would be getting a lot more them than they would if they were returned.

• Like 2

Their marketing blerp has always said they make them heavy for home brewers.

I only do a few coopers long necks each brew. Mostly stubbies. But I don't have many spares to cover breakages. Sounds like a good excuse to buy 6 coopers stout later in the week.

What we don't know is will the new light weight long necks be twist top?

If not, they will still be ok. My stubbies are all Bundaberg ginger beer and pretty light weight but yet to have one burst.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, oldbloke said:

I only do a few coopers long necks each brew. Mostly stubbies. But I don't have many spares to cover breakages. Sounds like a good excuse to buy 6 coopers stout later in the week.

If not, they will still be ok. My stubbies are all Bundaberg ginger beer and pretty light weight but yet to have one burst.

I use longnecks for Ale's and Bundaberg Ginger beer bottles for Stout, will be interesting to see which way they have gone, twist or crown.

41 minutes ago, oldbloke said:

I was wondering myself whether they could introduce Screw Tops into the new look Longneck but it wouldn't bother me - how much can a Koala Bear ?

I have about 400 of them so won't bother me. I couldn't be bothered bottling stubbies - too small. I like the Grolsch Bottles & the 500ml Hefe' bottles but Coopers Longnecks are my go to.

• Like 1

As mentioned above I could do with a few spares to cover breakages.

Was walking past Liqiurland Geelong.

Stout Long necks on special. 3 for $19. So I grabbed six. 😄

I also noticed to day. This stuff is available at Aldi. Stubbies look pretty good if your after a few.

20220821_172909.thumb.jpg.e2d6f7ea8a7636a3ab2d09ffaa0bf8bd.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

My good neighbour gives me his used Longnecks, thank you so much.

In the last batch he passed over, was one of the new bottles, the neck is slightly shorter and feels different.

It's also about an inch shorter, had to drop the bottle caper down two holes to put a cap on.

That will be annoying when they are all mixed in together!

Won't matter for now, I have enough of the older bottles to last me.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DavidM said:

In the last batch he passed over, was one of the new bottles, the neck is slightly shorter and feels different.

It's also about an inch shorter, had to drop the bottle caper down two holes to put a cap on.

Hello I was just wondering if they still feel like they are stronger than an ordinary longneck? Compared to one by CUB that feel thin. I mainly keg but have been in a rush to get the old coopers stock. As I don't like the longnecks with the Grolsh flip lid seal I was getting too many leaks.

Edited by Uhtred Of Beddanburg

5 minutes ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

Hello I was just wondering if they still feel like they are stronger than an ordinary longneck? Compared to one by CUB that feel thin. I mainly keg but have been in a rush to get the old coopers stock. As I don't like the longnecks with the Grolsh flip lid seal I was getting too many leaks.

I would imagine they would be as I am sure Coopers are aware of how many Homebrewers have been using them for years & still do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I would imagine they would be as I am sure Coopers are aware of how many Homebrewers have been using them for years & still do.

Thanks for that, I hope so too as I enjoy drinking coopers beer on the side of my home brew. Being able to re-use the bottles and the crown seal is a big advantage.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

Thanks for that, I hope so too as I enjoy drinking coopers beer on the side of my home brew. Being able to re-use the bottles and the crown seal is a big advantage.

Well, I guess that is only my opinion however it wouldn't make sense to suddenly change the build without some sort of warning.

5 hours ago, DavidM said:

Twist top or old style?

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Well, it's only an opinion but they feel thin'a,  I will weigh one, if I remember in the morning.

It is what it is

Crown  Top

Great. 

I've used Bundaberg stubbies for about 3 years. Yet to have an explosion. They are fairly light weight.

I think glass quality has improved over the years. It's sure to help.

Edited by Oldbloke
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Drinking all the German Beers recently I accumulated quiet a few 0.5l bottles (crown). Sturdy and great size. Bottled my Coopers Vintage Ale in them, yummy. Being lazy I used one carbonation drop per bottle, perfect

I agree they are good, I have quite a few 500ml Hefe', 650ml Dutch, 450ml Grolsch & many other various German Beer bottles, I use them a lot for bottling the leftovers from kegs.

• Like 3

On 8/21/2022 at 5:37 PM, Oldbloke said:

As mentioned above I could do with a few spares to cover breakages.

Was walking past Liqiurland Geelong.

Stout Long necks on special. 3 for $19. So I grabbed six. 😄

I also noticed to day. This stuff is available at Aldi. Stubbies look pretty good if your after a few.

20220821_172909.thumb.jpg.e2d6f7ea8a7636a3ab2d09ffaa0bf8bd.jpg

Bought quiet a few two years ago. The Pilsner was nice, the Weizen a bit hit and miss, some bottles tasted off. My son-in-law organized me some more empties. Have about four cases of them. You can't change the rubber seal, but used them quiet a few times and they still seal well. Great little bottles, they fit perfectly standing up in the freezer for the half an hour emergency express chill.