Coopers Community

Weetbix beer???

Spursman

It’s funny timing, that you should mention this @Spursman Spurs because the same thought came across my mind just this week! I was having brekky and digging out some weetbix and looking at all the crumbs you get towards the end of the packet - you know the ones - and I’m thinking “can I stick these crumbs in a mash?”…and also I’m thinking “why am I thinking about beer at breakfast time? I’ve really got issues!”

I’ve heard of people using flaked barley/corn/rice sort of stuff and I’m thinking this is surely just flaked wheat, and probably worth a run in a mash. It’s probably already been processed to a point where the sugars may have been made more accessible?  I’m a partial masher mostly - so I reckon I’ll give it a go at some stage, rather than just tossing those wheaty crumbs in the compost like I usually do. 
Really interested to hear from those in the know on this…good topic Spurs 👍✌️
Cheers Tone

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tone boy said:

It’s funny timing, that you should mention this @Spursman Spurs because the same thought came across my mind just this week! I was having brekky and digging out some weetbix and looking at all the crumbs you get towards the end of the packet - you know the ones - and I’m thinking “can I stick these crumbs in a mash?”…and also I’m thinking “why am I thinking about beer at breakfast time? I’ve really got issues!”

I’ve heard of people using flaked barley/corn/rice sort of stuff and I’m thinking this is surely just flaked wheat, and probably worth a run in a mash. It’s probably already been processed to a point where the sugars may have been made more accessible?  I’m a partial masher mostly - so I reckon I’ll give it a go at some stage, rather than just tossing those wheaty crumbs in the compost like I usually do. 
Really interested to hear from those in the know on this…good topic Spurs 👍✌️
Cheers Tone

Years ago I remember hearing during a podcast that you can use cornflakes in the mash.  They recommended the health food shop type without and added sugar. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Years ago I remember hearing during a podcast that you can use cornflakes in the mash.  They recommended the health food shop type without and added sugar. 

Interesting. I've just put down a Morgans wheat beer (first time I've tried it) with 600 grams of lhbs premixed mid strength booster. Andrew (owner) reckons to start it at 18° and keep it there. This brew will become my point of reference before I start dicking around with any additions. 

Gotta say the Weetbix thing has got my attention. Don't do mashing so wondering if it's OK to crumble into the wort at day 3 or even earlier? Quantity is an absolute stab in the dark but am considering 500gms. A possible issue could be clogging up the outlet in the fermenter. Maybe several large chux could be employed instead.

1 hour ago, Spursman said:

Interesting. I've just put down a Morgans wheat beer (first time I've tried it) with 600 grams of lhbs premixed mid strength booster. Andrew (owner) reckons to start it at 18° and keep it there. This brew will become my point of reference before I start dicking around with any additions. 

Gotta say the Weetbix thing has got my attention. Don't do mashing so wondering if it's OK to crumble into the wort at day 3 or even earlier? Quantity is an absolute stab in the dark but am considering 500gms. A possible issue could be clogging up the outlet in the fermenter. Maybe several large chux could be employed instead.

Don't forget to add some yogurt & sliced peaches to make it healthier 🤣

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Spursman said:

I would not do that I think you would end up with crap floating in your beer and probably an infection. I would save it for the mash if you were going to use it where it will be boiled afterwards. I would use wheat malt or wheat if you want more wheat in a steep boiled and added to you wort prior to fermentation etc in your case. Weetbix tastes like nothing if you ask me unless sugar or honey is added. The only way I would add weetbix to my beer would be as a marketing tool to call it a weetbix beer with the slogan”how many would you do” ??? I hope I am reading what you said right! I think you probably stuff a good beer!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Spursman said:

As others have said, adding weetbix to your brew could ruin it.  BUT, if you want to give it a crack, I would "steep" a bunch of them in 60-70°C water for 30-60 minutes.  Then strain the liquid into your fermenter. Then add your other ingredients.

There are cheaper and easier ways to get wheat into your brew.  Kegland sell 1kg bags of rolled wheat for under $4.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RDT2 said:

I would not do that I think you would end up with crap floating in your beer and probably an infection. I would save it for the mash if you were going to use it where it will be boiled afterwards. I would use wheat malt or wheat if you want more wheat in a steep boiled and added to you wort prior to fermentation etc in your case. Weetbix tastes like nothing if you ask me unless sugar or honey is added. The only way I would add weetbix to my beer would be as a marketing tool to call it a weetbix beer with the slogan”how many would you do” ??? I hope I am reading what you said right! I think you probably stuff a good beer!

I agree why bother Weetbix is crap, I don't even eat it - why put it in your beer ? 

5 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

As others have said, adding weetbix to your brew could ruin it.  BUT, if you want to give it a crack, I would "steep" a bunch of them in 60-70°C water for 30-60 minutes.  Then strain the liquid into your fermenter. Then add your other ingredients.

There are cheaper and easier ways to get wheat into your brew.  Kegland sell 1kg bags of rolled wheat for under $4.

That's pretty much what I thought. Without a mash, it's only going to add starchy goo to the wort but no sugars to ferment. Your mini-mash/steep will certainly help. 

34 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

That's pretty much what I thought. Without a mash, it's only going to add starchy goo to the wort but no sugars to ferment. Your mini-mash/steep will certainly help. 

I have thought about this since posting my earlier comment.  The mash/steep should include at least a kilo of crushed Pilsner or Pale Ale grains to provide the enzymes to convert the starch from the weetbix into sugars.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Question. Why would you add it? What does it offer?

Why? I guess curiosity is the driving force. I wonder what happens if I do this? Sometimes things work well, other times they don't. Us humans are a curious bunch and just try things. Quite often without thinking about the consequences, I might add. Quite frankly, it never occurred to me to put wheatbix into a beer though 🙂 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Why? I guess curiosity is the driving force. I wonder what happens if I do this? Sometimes things work well, other times they don't. Us humans are a curious bunch and just try things. Quite often without thinking about the consequences, I might add. Quite frankly, it never occurred to me to put wheatbix into a beer though 🙂 

When I think of things like adding weet(a)bix or whatever to my beer.

I stop and ask myself, will I end up with 20 odd litres of undrinkable beer?

Then 9 times out of 10 I don't bother.

@Spursman what yeast are you using by the way?

I've made Morgans kits before, but their yeast is not very good.

3 minutes ago, Graculus said:

When I think of things like adding weet(a)bix or whatever to my beer.

I stop and ask myself, will I end up with 20 odd litres of undrinkable beer?

Then 9 times out of 10 I don't bother.

@Spursman what yeast are you using by the way?

I've made Morgans kits before, but their yeast is not very good.

There is nothing wrong with experimenting & trying out new ideas etc but I am wondering when all of this is going to end up. I even saw an English video of a guy adding Nettles to his brew WTH- stinging nettles, what next, insects, mice maybe. 🪰🦋🐀

I love a citrus, piney, aromatic flavours that hops deliver but so far I haven.t come across any cereal, fruit additions that I can drink.

There is an exception with Stouts as Coffee/Chocolate it enhances the flavour.

That is my opinion.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

There is nothing wrong with experimenting & trying out new ideas etc but I am wondering when all of this is going to end up. I even saw an English video of a guy adding Nettles to his brew WTH- stinging nettles, what next, insects, mice maybe. 🪰🦋🐀

I love a citrus, piney, aromatic flavours that hops deliver but so far I haven.t come across any cereal, fruit additions that I can drink.

That is my opinion.

Back in the old country we used to make nettle wine, but as you say where does it end up?

Did you see the video of a bloke adding a Christmas pudding to a beer?

Here it is...

I too like the citrusy stuff. One of my experiments was adding grapefruits & grapefruit juice to a Cooper Cerveza.

I'm just hanging out a month or so to make another. This will be a beer to drink in the summer.

I don't want to make it just yet. When I make the last one it was as cloudy as and tasted great.

I keep one bottle for a few months. Crystal clear, but didn't taste as good.

Edited by Graculus

20 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

That is my opinion.

The consensus of opinions from the esteemed Gurus here is clearly to tread carefully and not to dick around with additions that don't really have much to offer in the first place.

Thank you all. I shall leave the Weetbix in the box for breakfast purposes only. Love crumbling one into my buttery porridge on a cold morning. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1