Coopers Community

Overcarbed, too warm or both?

I just put my Choc Milk Porter on tap, which had been maturing in the keg for 4 months. Back then, all I did was give it about 20 hours on something like 35-40 PSI, then disconnected it from gas and left it on the side. From what I can tell, it is nice and tasty but all I pour is froth. I have burped the keg to let all the pressure out, turned off the gas and poured until nothing came out anymore but when I re-connect it, it still only pours froth. 

It shouldn't be over carbed really but the keg was sitting at ambient temps, albeit in an unheated room with the window slightly open. So I am thinking it may simply be too warm? 

Any suggestions what I can do, if it is still like this tomorrow, when it will certainly be cold enough?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

I just put my Choc Milk Porter on tap, which had been maturing in the keg for 4 months. Back then, all I did was give it about 20 hours on something like 35-40 PSI, then disconnected it from gas and left it on the side. From what I can tell, it is nice and tasty but all I pour is froth. I have burped the keg to let all the pressure out, turned off the gas and poured until nothing came out anymore but when I re-connect it, it still only pours froth. 

It shouldn't be over carbed really but the keg was sitting at ambient temps, albeit in an unheated room with the window slightly open. So I am thinking it may simply be too warm? 

Any suggestions what I can do, if it is still like this tomorrow, when it will certainly be cold enough?

Not sure what you can do here AK.  Luckily I have not had an overcarbed beer to deal with yet.  I am interested to read about how it goes once it is cold.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

How long was it in the fridge before you poured it? They can take a day or two to chill properly enough to stop pouring froth, although at this time of year it should only be a day. 

It wasn't. It's been in the fridge for a day now but still only pours froth. See how she goes tomorrow.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

It wasn't. It's been in the fridge for a day now but still only pours froth. See how she goes tomorrow.

There's most likely the issue. Carbonated kegs don't pour well at room temperature, even if it's relatively low it's still not as cold as a fridge.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Can you just release all the pressure out of the keg, without froth coming out of the PRV, then let the beer go flat and then recarbonate?  Just asking because I don't know.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Well, it's been in the kegerator for 2.5 days now and after the first pour, which is still only froth, the 2nd pour yields about a 3rd of a cup of dark goodness. So there's hope.

Easy AK just keep pouring & about midnight you should have yourself a regular beer 🤭

• Haha 1

Three days in the kegerator and this is what I get as the third pour and after sitting for a couple of minutes 😟 The head is nice and creamy and leaves nice lacing on the glass but I prefer to drink my beer, not spoon it out. 

3DDC9AF5-D965-4344-B9EB-8AE58B7DCA9E.thumb.jpeg.240ba5c50615713e532e8709cbe78db3.jpeg

• Sad 2

32 minutes ago, DavidM said:

It looks so good, Hope you can sort it out soon!

It is awesome. It's got a good bitterness, lovely chocolate aromas, it's malty and has a good sweetness. I love it. I just wish I could have a whole glass of it. Maybe I should pour it in a jug and then decant out of there. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

It is awesome. It's got a good bitterness, lovely chocolate aromas, it's malty and has a good sweetness. I love it. I just wish I could have a whole glass of it. Maybe I should pour it in a jug and then decant out of there. 

I know nothing about Keg's

but yeah, maybe the long pour into  a jug will help to get it running.

If not at least you will be able to pour a decent glass.

I'd bleed all pressure from the keg and pour it on virtually nil pressure, keep doing that over a couple of days or more. It'll dribble out but you'll get close to a full glass and it won't be flat from all the foaming. It'll also help to degas it and get the carbonation level back to normal. 

That's assuming over carbonation is the issue of course 🤣

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Three days in the kegerator and this is what I get as the third pour and after sitting for a couple of minutes 😟 The head is nice and creamy and leaves nice lacing on the glass but I prefer to drink my beer, not spoon it out. 

3DDC9AF5-D965-4344-B9EB-8AE58B7DCA9E.thumb.jpeg.240ba5c50615713e532e8709cbe78db3.jpeg

Maybe try a wider glass as well???

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

I did when I poured into a jug and let it sit for a few minutes, then pour into a glass. Tried to pour one yesterday and it's still frothy as. It's yummy as though 🙂 

Gee, I wonder what the reason for all the froth might be.  What was the recipe and your process?  Maybe it is not the carbonation process.  I wonder if a brew like a Choc Milk Porter might have got lots of microscopic particles in it that, when you pour a beer, provide nucleation points to allow the CO2 to escape from the beer more than usual.  Porters and Stouts do tend to be frothier.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Gee, I wonder what the reason for all the froth might be.  What was the recipe and your process?  Maybe it is not the carbonation process.  I wonder if a brew like a Choc Milk Porter might have got lots of microscopic particles in it that, when you pour a beer, provide nucleation points to allow the CO2 to escape from the beer more than usual.  Porters and Stouts do tend to be frothier.

If only I knew.

Recipe was like 3.5kg MO, 750g wheat, 300g each of light crystal, choc wheat and choc malt. 500g lactose, 50g EKG @60, 40g Fuggle@10, 20g Chalenger @10, fermented with Notty.

There doesn't appear to be any hop matter in it either as that can cause hiccups.

Process was as usual, nothing out of the ordinary. The only thing I did was fast carb it for a day after kegging and then left it sitting at ambient for 4 months. It was too warm when I hooked it up to the tap and I expected it to froth a little before it got cold enough but it's been in the keg for the best part of 2 weeks now and it still froths like mad. Serving pressure is around 8-10PSI. It seems to froth up as soon as it comes out as initially, what comes out of the tap looks nice and dark but once it hits the glass, all is froth. 

I've tried removing it from gas altogether and pour from it until nothing comes out, then hook it up to gas again but it doesn't change anything.

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, Hoppy81 said:

Could it be as simple as a stuffed O ring on the dip tube or popett perhaps?

So not so stuffed that it leaks.  But stuffed enough to suck in air as you pour, so you end up with a glass of foam?  It might also be an issue with a seal in the beer tap.

• Like 1