Coopers Community

Overcarbed, too warm or both?

21 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I have only been kegging for a short time, no real hassles at this stage so I am hopeful it will be plain sailing.

Well, good luck!   There's no doubt that when all is well kegs can be a great way to serve, but based on my year working in a homebrew store however, and regularly dealing with customers that kegged I became very aware of their various problems...   so, I'm sorry to say that I suspect sooner or later it seems almost inevitable that issues will arise.   Foamy pours like AK is experiencing here was a very common complaint, but also contamination - beer lines etc, faulty seals/gas leaks (and hence loss of CO2),  problems with various fittings (dodgy ball locks, couplers, regulators, PRV's, beer taps etc).   Some brewers were seemingly faffing about for days trying to resolve these kind of issues and I lost count of the number of times a sad brewer came in for a CO2 refill just days after refilling because he'd lost an entire cylinder of gas due to a leak somewhere.   The store charged $45 for a 5kg refill at the time so that's one heck of an expensive problem to have.   🙄

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BlackSands said:

Well, good luck!   There's no doubt that when all is well kegs can be a great way to serve, but based on my year working in a homebrew store however, and regularly dealing with customers that kegged I became very aware of their various problems...   so, I'm sorry to say that I suspect sooner or later it seems almost inevitable that issues will arise.   Foamy pours like AK is experiencing here was a very common complaint, but also contamination - beer lines etc, faulty seals/gas leaks (and hence loss of CO2),  problems with various fittings (dodgy ball locks, couplers, regulators, PRV's, beer taps etc).   Some brewers were seemingly faffing about for days trying to resolve these kind of issues and I lost count of the number of times a sad brewer came in for a CO2 refill just days after refilling because he'd lost an entire cylinder of gas due to a leak somewhere.   The store charged $45 for a 5kg refill at the time so that's one heck of an expensive problem to have.   🙄

Wow that's a long list of problems but it is what it is & I am in too deep now so I will take one step at a time & not try anything too heroic.

We are fortunate as help is always at hand however we can all do without bottling/kegging problems especially after you have gone through the entire process of creating the brew.

• Like 2