Coopers Community

LOCAL BIRDLIFE

39 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Just having a visit from Mr & Mrs Duck right outside my office window, I have several bird baths set up & attract a lot of different birds, even seagulls.

I would throw bread out but you attract the bloomin' pigeons & we all know what they do 💩

20220626_133356.thumb.jpg.9354fa98f421f6cd52e2e91e1b7422b2.jpg

I apologise for letting your reputation influence my view on what the photo in this post would be.  It turned out to be nothing like I was expecting, as I carefully opened the post. 😁

• Haha 4

On 6/26/2022 at 1:52 PM, Classic Brewing Co said:

Just having a visit from Mr & Mrs Duck right outside my office window, I have several bird baths set up & attract a lot of different birds, even seagulls.

I would throw bread out but you attract the bloomin' pigeons & we all know what they do 💩

I dont mean to be a wet blanket on your thread fella, but bread is bad for ducks believe it or not.

It swells in their guts and can make them sick or even kill them if they eat too much. Can ya feed them something else?

I'm the same, i like attracting the feathered friends around the bird bath, i chuck a bit of seed or something.

Edited by Pale Man
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

I dont mean to be a wet blanket on your thread fella, but bread is bad for ducks believe it or not.

It swells in their guts and can make them sick or even kill them if they eat too much. Can ya feed them something else?

I'm the same, i like attracting the feathered friends around the bird bath, i chuck a bit of seed or something.

I do know what you mean, bread is actually bad for most birds but I have bought seed many times to attract birds but no matter what I buy the bloody pigeons always turn up.

I figure these days I am doing my bit with water.

• Like 1

@Pale Man I've also read bread isn't such a good thing for ducks but the good news for our man @Classic Brewing Co is that grains are quite OK. Now that he's ventured into AG brewing the local webbed feet avians might be enjoying some spent brewing grains in the near future. It's a win, win.

PS. Phil - Should it be Mr & Mrs Drake? 🤔🤣

19 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

@Pale Man I've also read bread isn't such a good thing for ducks but the good news for our man @Classic Brewing Co is that grains are quite OK. Now that he's ventured into AG brewing the local webbed feet avians might be enjoying some spent brewing grains in the near future. It's a win, win.

You are right Muzza, that is a good idea but as the other AG brewers will tell you it pong's but I am sure Albert & Dorothy Mallard would devour it rather quickly along with other birds.

I will give that a go & I will probably looking at P****** Ducks 🤣

• Haha 4

56 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Exactly what I was thinking Muzz. The feathered critters would love some spent grain. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I went outside to finish my drink & the Ducks spotted me, the lady 2 doors down feeds all of the birds as soon as they see a human, they follow you.

The only problem is the Ducks walk right up to your front door & then then I have to hose off because they whoopsie everywhere. But I still love my birdlife.

20221027_172519.thumb.jpg.c51ac0ed53d4a5b1821621fe86c649b6.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 5 months later...
On 6/26/2022 at 2:22 PM, Classic Brewing Co said:

You kept saying in the past @Classic Brewing Cothat you always pull the birds 🤣🤣

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I put my spent grains out last week and the birds haven't touched them. I actually showed the magpies where they were yesterday and they had a nibble but didn't like them at all.

Maybe they just don't like oats, or maybe I steeped all the flavour out of them.

1 minute ago, Kegory said:

I put my spent grains out last week and the birds haven't touched them. I actually showed the magpies where they were yesterday and they had a nibble but didn't like them at all.

Maybe they just don't like oats, or maybe I steeped all the flavour out of them.

Thats strange but then I suppose it depends where you live & what type of birds are in your area, I get ducks, doves, pigeons (because one of the neighbours feeds them) also finches, honey eaters, willie wag tails, shrikes etc.

The spent grain gets all cleaned up very quickly.

I'm nowhere near that rich in birdlife. Apart from the maggies there's usually a couple of Indian Mynahs around, the odd pigeon, and a blackbird but I haven't seen that around for a while. Rainbow lorikeets come through when the trees are in fruit.

There's a big park with a lake about 10 minutes walk away and an ephemeral wetland where there are ducks and moorhens, and seagulls, but they don't wander up here. I guess they get enough food down there.

The magpies prefer the cat food I give them. I was hoping they clean up the grains, or somebody else does, before the rats find them. I think I'll have to pick them up if they aren't gone by tomorrow.