Coopers Community

What's up with "Fresh Wort Kit" things

satmuts

3 hours ago, satmuts said:

hi everyone it's a long time

i recently stumble on "Fresh Wort Kit" things . has anyone try this and what's the Different between that and Extract cans like Coopers etc .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnIY1xq-_ww

The difference  is a fair bit as it's all grain waiting to be fermented in a sense.

It's just a matter adding water to your desired ferment add yeast add some dry hops sit back and enjoy

It's the easy way of tasting all grain beer

• Like 2

3 hours ago, satmuts said:

hi everyone it's a long time

i recently stumble on "Fresh Wort Kit" things . has anyone try this and what's the Different between that and Extract cans like Coopers etc .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnIY1xq-_ww

As @ozdevil said they are a step up in quality from a can.

Also if you get one that uses a HDPE container they are great for repurposing into a fermenter by drilling a hole for the tap and in the lid for a airlock. 15L is a good size for high ABV beers. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, jackgym said:

Fresh Wort Kits are all I brew now, great beers, simple and easy to make and bugger all washing up.

are you actually making the beer    or just finishing  the final product.

dont get me wrong they are great product and time saver  and gets people to enjoy an All grain brew 
without doing the brewing

anyway nothing wrong in doing fwk's  as there is some good fwks out there

• Like 3

I'm sure at one stage I'll try a fwk or two. But for me the all grain process is so enjoyable I'd never give it up unless I had to. I even enjoy cleaning up with a few beers.

But they definitely fit into the home brew scene. My Dad uses them and kegs. The beers are lovely. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Pale Man said:

I'm sure at one stage I'll try a fwk or two. But for me the all grain process is so enjoyable I'd never give it up unless I had to. I even enjoy cleaning up with a few beers.

But they definitely fit into the home brew scene. My Dad uses them and kegs. The beers are lovely. 

they are good  to do   when you cant find alot of time to do an A.G brew   

• Like 2

On 5/28/2022 at 5:09 PM, ozdevil said:

are you actually making the beer    or just finishing  the final product.

dont get me wrong they are great product and time saver  and gets people to enjoy an All grain brew 
without doing the brewing

anyway nothing wrong in doing fwk's  as there is some good fwks out there

Yes, it's finishing the final product. But I'm getting a great craft beer at about a third of the price of Dan Murphy's.

• Like 4

On 5/26/2022 at 11:52 AM, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

As @ozdevil said they are a step up in quality from a can.

Also if you get one that uses a HDPE container they are great for repurposing into a fermenter by drilling a hole for the tap and in the lid for a airlock. 15L is a good size for high ABV beers. 

I agree much better than fighting with a foil bag, the small ones a bad enough !!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jackgym said:

Yes, it's finishing the final product. But I'm getting a great craft beer at about a third of the price of Dan Murphy's.

Whatever floats your boat I say, my old man still brews in a probably 50degree shed in summer with a coopers lager kit and black and gold sugar, now that’s strayer mate but he’s happy 😃 I have steered him onto kveik yeast now though for summer. Funny he called me up a while back cause his beer hadn’t started to ferment after 24hrs so he thought… By Kveiky it was already done 🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

37 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

Whatever floats your boat I say, my old man still brews in a probably 50degree shed in summer with a coopers lager kit and black and gold sugar, now that’s strayer mate but he’s happy 😃 I have steered him onto kveik yeast now though for summer. Funny he called me up a while back cause his beer hadn’t started to ferment after 24hrs so he thought… By Kveiky it was already done 🤣

How does that taste mate 

1 hour ago, PintsAtMeLocal said:

How does that taste mate 

I haven’t tried his kveik yeast beers but the other ones are ok gets a bit dry after a couple a bit more cidery in summer🤣 I did get him some Saison yeast one time which pains me to say it, it tasted pretty good! Mum does ask why doesn’t dads beer taste like mine, she loves my Pilsner!

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, RDT2 said:

I haven’t tried his kveik yeast beers but the other ones are ok gets a bit dry after a couple a bit more cidery in summer🤣 I did get him some Saison yeast one time which pains me to say it, it tasted pretty good! Mum does ask why doesn’t dads beer taste like mine, she loves my Pilsner!

Ah classic mate. Love it. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks 

• Like 1

This is the analogy I use for FWK.  Cans are like cage eggs,  FWK are like commercial free range eggs and AG is like fresh laid eggs straight from the chook. All are good but each tastes better and fresher  than the previous one. 

• Like 3

On 5/30/2022 at 10:34 PM, RDT2 said:

The old fellas knew how to brew. Before the fermenter and airlock they used a plastic garbage bin with top fermenting yeast. That meant you had to scoop off the dead yeast from the top of the brew every few days. An old towel over the top was sufficient covering. Bloody nice beer.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Marty_G said:

This is the analogy I use for FWK.  Cans are like cage eggs,  FWK are like commercial free range eggs and AG is like fresh laid eggs straight from the chook. All are good but each tastes better and fresher  than the previous one. 

No sense in introducing a rooster then? 😝 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jackgym said:

The old fellas knew how to brew. Before the fermenter and airlock they used a plastic garbage bin with top fermenting yeast. That meant you had to scoop off the dead yeast from the top of the brew every few days. An old towel over the top was sufficient covering. Bloody nice beer.

I fermented in a similar way when I started brewing in 1989.  Beer was pretty shite though. Needed at least 6 months of conditioning. So you needed 100'sand 100's of tallies to build stock. The best beers where the darker ones as they aged better.  I was using Cooper's cans at the time and there were 4 choices Draught, Lager, Dark Ale and Stout.   Home brewing was definitely a lot simpler then and not the big business it is today.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Marty_G said:

I fermented in a similar way when I started brewing in 1989.  Beer was pretty shite though. Needed at least 6 months of conditioning. So you needed 100'sand 100's of tallies to build stock. The best beers where the darker ones as they aged better.  I was using Cooper's cans at the time and there were 4 choices Draught, Lager, Dark Ale and Stout.   Home brewing was definitely a lot simpler then and not the big business it is today.  

I remember those days, the old plastic garbage bin with the clips on the sides of the lid, electric blanket wrapped around it in the colder months, my old man & his uncle used to whack the bin in the bath with blocks of ice when needed, temperature control was a bit hit & miss which would explain the foul tasting muck they produced.

Nevertheless it was beer & cheaper than the pub so they managed. I remember it used to be pretty strong due to all of the sugar they used.

We certainly have come a long way.

R.jpg.8be26537df6917520e95a78c6f44424d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I remember those days, the old plastic garbage bin with the clips on the sides of the lid, electric blanket wrapped around it in the colder months, my old man & his uncle used to whack the bin in the bath with blocks of ice when needed, temperature control was a bit hit & miss which would explain the foul tasting muck they produced.

Nevertheless it was beer & cheaper than the pub so they managed. I remember it used to be pretty strong due to all of the sugar they used.

We certainly have come a long way.

R.jpg.8be26537df6917520e95a78c6f44424d.jpg

Is that you on the right Phil?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, jackgym said:

The old fellas knew how to brew....

I'm an 'old fella' and knew how to brew really BAD beer!   But WAY back then it was really more about producing cheap alcohol...  actually, now I think about it, that particular aspect hasn't actually changed!   😄     What I brewed back in the early 80's only vaguely resembled beer.... but regardless was readily consumed with a "near enough is good enough attitude".   🤪

As for FWK's  - I've never brewed one myself.  If you like the process of brewing then of course they are not for you.  But, if you just want cheap good quality beer that requires a minimal amount of effort to produce then they're a very good option.  I personally am not one to elevate AG/FWK's that much above extract based kits -  some of my best brews have been based on a can. 

As an aside, I regularly ferment wine kits regularly for the same reason as those who would buy FWK's -  minimal effort,  and in the case of the wines, the end result is a decent enough affrdable quaffer offering the desired effect.  😜

Thinking about it a bit more - when I brew my stove-top AG's I'm essentially making the equivalent  of a FWK - I brew a concentrated fresh wort which I then make up to the requisite volume.  I have time on my hands...hmmmm... maybe a potential business opportunity there?!     🤓

• Like 4

On 5/30/2022 at 10:04 PM, RDT2 said:

We have the same Dad.

• Haha 2