Coopers Community

Mesh cleaning cloth

I'm just about to do my 2nd brew - the Regency Red Ale

https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/coopers-regency-park-red-ale.html?utm_campaign=278765_DIY Beer April&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Coopers Brewery Ltd&dm_i=4FT9,5Z3H,1S6AX5,MBOV,1#

It talks about using a mesh cloth:

"In a good size pot (around 5 Litres) bring 2 litres of water to approximately 60-70°C, add the crushed Carared Malt (we recommend wrapping in a mesh cleaning cloth, pulled straight from the wrapper) and let steep for about 30 minutes."

What are the experts latest recommendations on using a mesh cleaning cloth or alternative?

Thanks

26 minutes ago, theyabbyman said:

https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/coopers-regency-park-red-ale.html?utm_campaign=278765_DIY Beer April&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Coopers Brewery Ltd&dm_i=4FT9,5Z3H,1S6AX5,MBOV,1#

"In a good size pot (around 5 Litres) bring 2 litres of water to approximately 60-70°C, add the crushed Carared Malt (we recommend wrapping in a mesh cleaning cloth, pulled straight from the wrapper) and let steep for about 30 minutes."

What are the experts latest recommendations on using a mesh cleaning cloth or alternative?

Thanks

there is a couple of ways you can go about it

some like those mesh cleaning clothes  (chux cloths)

some steal there ladies stockings (new and give them a boil first before using.)

some like myself get a hop bag or a small grain bag  or even a muslin bag

you will find the malt  hasnt been grounded so you will need some crushing device 

as your only  doing a small  amount its not worth getting a grain mill so use the wifes rolling pin to crack the malt.

its important that you crack it so you can get the best sugars out from the grain

i would steep in 65°c   for 30 minutes and do a 5 minute boil

• Like 4

What everybody else said. Just one thing I want to add, you can just add the cracked grain to the 2l water and when done, simply strain it all into the FV. That way, you may not need any Chux, or anything. However I'd use a hop or small grain bag. But hey, you can use an old sock if you want to. Just clean and sanitise it as nobody wants cheese beer 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, theyabbyman said:

image.png.1c6c45aa050b88cf00be7ea6b177df08.png

A paint strainer bag from the Big Green Warehouse is a useful alternative.

Just give it a wash in the machine first and then boil to sterilise.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, theyabbyman said:

Thanks

I use Chux cloths for small grain steeps like these.  The resulting wort is boiled for 5 minutes to sanitise it, so all will be good.  I have never seen blue colouring seep from the Chux cloth.

I also use them for dry hopping.  Coincidentally, I put 180g of hops into a one of the giant (60cm x 60cm) Chux cloths for a dry hop in my Fruit Bomb Triple IPA tonight.  I do boil the cloth and the cooking string I use the tie up the cloth.

• 3 months later...