Coopers Community

Tips/advice for Beginners

JakeOx351

Hey everyone, I’ve brewed my first batch and bottles a month ago. I used coopers real ale. Follow instructions and found that carbonation was inconsistent. Also flavour was strange, ones that carbonated beautifully tasted so nice, but on to 2nd glass had strong perfume flavours to it. So off putting. What could of happened here? Went to some FB groups but get people taking the piss or being quite aggressive. I’m a newbie I’m learning. Any tips will help. Cheers 🍻 

Edited by JakeOx351
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JakeOx351 said:

Hey everyone, I’ve brewed my first batch and bottles a month ago. I used coopers real ale. Follow instructions and found that carbonation was inconsistent. Also flavour was strange, ones that carbonated beautifully tasted so nice, but on to 2nd glass had strong perfume flavours to it. So off putting. What could of happened here? Went to some FB groups but get people taking the piss or being quite aggressive. I’m a newbie I’m learning. Any tips will help. Cheers 🍻 

Hi Jake and welcome to the Coopers Forum.  You will not find folks on here taking the p1ss or being aggressive, and if they do, they get dealt with.

Tell us a bit more about your process/recipe.  If using Coopers carbonation drops, sometimes there is a difference in fizziness because the drops can be slightly different sizes.  I mostly carbonate with table sugar.  You can get a measure that suits 750, 500 and 375 bottle sizes.  I just use my wife's measuring spoons.

Not sure about the perfume flavour you describe.  Maybe it is how the Real Ale is meant to taste.  I found the Real Ale can a good base for many nice brews.  The Coopers range is definitely different to Great Northern and similar commercial beers.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, JakeOx351 said:

2nd glass had strong perfume flavours to it.

I'm no expert but just for an experiment

Try pouring the whole bottle into two glasses or a jug

Leaving the last 1cm

As soon as you open the bottle, fill both glasses or jug, put one back in the fridge.

(The reason: I have found that with some of my brew's, if I leave the second glass in the bottle, a lot of bubbles pick up the sludge off the bottom of the bottle, this can completely change the flavour of the deer, sometimes even making it almost undrinkable.)

• Like 3

Hi @JakeOx351 and welcome.
@DavidM might be on to something in regards to sediment disturbance. I'd never been too concerned with flavour differences on the second pour of a long neck but I found consuming more of the sediment gave me gas. My remedy was to pour the whole bottle in one pour into a large stein or a jug to reduce the backwash effect.
The inconsistent carbonation possibly could improve over time. How long and where have your bottles been sitting and at what temperature? A dark area with a steady temp above 18C is the ideal conditions but not always possible. If your temp is dropping and rising it can send the yeast to sleep and they won't eat the sugars to create enough fizz. If this is the case a few extra days/weeks should improve this.

• Like 4

Welcome Jake,

I have several jugs that I quite often pour a long neck into especially Largers 😉 & Bitters, although I don't get any sediment with Dark Ale/Stout.

Obviously Pale Ale/Real Ale bottles get the roll on the Bar Mat & that takes care of that, even if I have a Commercial Sparkling Ale I gently roll the bottle otherwise the sediment is quite gritty & unpleasant. As @Aussiekraut & @Itinerant Peasant have quoted me & mentioned on this forum German type beers & Bavarian Wheat beers it is all part of the drink.

Try experimenting with cold glasses & room temperature glasses, this can make a lot of difference to the consistency & the appearance of your beer e.g less bubbles & more foam in a warmer glass.

• Like 3

On 4/22/2022 at 9:28 PM, JakeOx351 said:

Welcome to the forum Jake and to the wonderful world of home brewing. While we do sometimes take the Micky out of people, it is usually friendly banter and we're all happy to help where we can. And let me assure you, there aren't many topics relating to brewing, where we do not have somebody here with suitable knowledge.

As others have been pointing out, it is probably the sediment that gets washed into the glass on the second pour. If you pour two glasses, I'd recommend putting the bottle back into the fridge with the lid on. This way it doesn't lose all its gas and the sediment remains cold and more compact. then pour the second glass gently as to not disturb the sediment and leave some of the beer behind. I never really had an issue with the sediment and used to drink straight out of the stubby. But that's not for everybody as @MUZZYpointed out, it can cause flatulence...a lot 🙂 

And of course, as @Classic Brewing Comentioned, in a nice Hefe Weizen, it is part of the exbeerience. So you deliberately swirl up the sediment and pour it into the glass. 

Sediment in bottles is part of the bottle conditioning process. It is mainly yeast and some solids left over from the brewing process. You can reduce the sediment in the bottle by cold crashing, if you have a brew fridge. Once the beer is finished, drop the temperature of the beer down to somewhere between 0 and 2C for a few days. This will drop a lot of impurities in the beer to the bottom of the fermenter and will compact it a bit, so you get clearer beer in the bottles and a noticeably smaller amount of sediment. This also helps keeping the "butt trumpet" in check 🙂 If you want to avoid it, you can either spend a small fortune on a bottling system with forced carbonation or you do the next best thing and get into kegging and forced carbonation. But I'd suggest you take one step at a time, get to know your brewing, figure out if this is for you and work your way up from there. 

• Like 6

@JakeOx351  welcome to Coopers diy

I am sorry you have got the pi$$ taken on facebook ,  while i look on FB myself these groups get alot of know all wannabes and its hard to pick what the right info is on
as many of the big fb groups are for All Grain Brewing alot of these fellas  snob those that are extract brewers and the funny thing is 95% of these A.G brewers all started out like 
you .  i know there is a good extract brewing fb group  where you will find good information.

as others have stated here generally it is friendly Banter   and most of us will try and help the beginners out if we can

others have provided you with some great answers to what your wanting  

• Like 6

Hey everyone, hopefully everyone gets this

Thank you for all the information, helped clear a few things up, I did store all bottles in a cupboard and the temp should of been consistent, I did have a day where temps plummeted during the time. In regards of the “perfume” type of flavour is was quite artificial and metallic. It literally taste like spraying lynx in my mouth. Very unpleasant. 

i followed the instructions on the YouTube video on coopers channel, I didn’t add anything at all as I am just practicing at this time. I did use carbonation drops but I’ll give the sugar method ago. Yeast was pitched at 24C. Came no lower than 22C. Besides when it was bottled. 

again cheers for the advice I’ve learnt a lot actually, and I do enjoy abit of banter myself, I just got copped with a lot “you’d expect sensible answers when you come on here having no clue what your talking about” alot of comments like that. Man I just started lol. Yeah I did noticed alot of know at Alls on fb and god help you when you mention malt extracts lol. 

thanks again everyone hopefully I made sense and everyone got this. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, JakeOx351 said:

Hey everyone, hopefully everyone gets this

Thank you for all the information, helped clear a few things up, I did store all bottles in a cupboard and the temp should of been consistent, I did have a day where temps plummeted during the time. In regards of the “perfume” type of flavour is was quite artificial and metallic. It literally taste like spraying lynx in my mouth. Very unpleasant. 

i followed the instructions on the YouTube video on coopers channel, I didn’t add anything at all as I am just practicing at this time. I did use carbonation drops but I’ll give the sugar method ago. Yeast was pitched at 24C. Came no lower than 22C. Besides when it was bottled. 

again cheers for the advice I’ve learnt a lot actually, and I do enjoy abit of banter myself, I just got copped with a lot “you’d expect sensible answers when you come on here having no clue what your talking about” alot of comments like that. Man I just started lol. Yeah I did noticed alot of know at Alls on fb and god help you when you mention malt extracts lol. 

thanks again everyone hopefully I made sense and everyone got this. 

I wouldn't expect any less on FB, it is the curse of mankind IMO however as it has been said everyone here will take you seriously & help out wherever possible. 

I switched to plain white sugar ages ago & it has improved my beers, better carbonation consistency, better head retention & better taste. It is more than likely due to fluctuation of temperature but apart from correcting it with a temperature controller there is not a lot you can do apart from finding a place where it doesn't vary too much. They are not expensive, you can get one for around $40 from Keg Land & a few other suppliers but of course you will need another fridge.

All the best with future brews.

On 4/23/2022 at 11:59 AM, Classic Brewing Co said:

Welcome Jake,

I have several jugs that I quite often pour a long neck into especially Largers 😉 & Bitters, although I don't get any sediment with Dark Ale/Stout.

Obviously Pale Ale/Real Ale bottles get the roll on the Bar Mat & that takes care of that, even if I have a Commercial Sparkling Ale I gently roll the bottle otherwise the sediment is quite gritty & unpleasant. As @Aussiekraut & @Itinerant Peasant have quoted me & mentioned on this forum German type beers & Bavarian Wheat beers it is all part of the drink.

Try experimenting with cold glasses & room temperature glasses, this can make a lot of difference to the consistency & the appearance of your beer e.g less bubbles & more foam in a warmer glass.

Been waiting and waiting, cant believe Muzzy has not picked up on this.  " largers".

• Haha 3

@JakeOx351, Thanks for your post. I am a new brewer too. This is such a great forum for a laugh and top information and ideas.  I have just bottled my fourth brew - a Coopers Australian Pale Ale. I am trying to get close in taste to Tooheys New, which is what my husband drinks! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...