Coopers Community

VB

KW1525230175

Just now, KW1525230175 said:

Can anyone share a good VB recipe, want to archive a malty sweetness mid way through the flavour

Kevin 

@Classic Brewing Co   you know of the perfect recipe dont you?

Sorry kevin  i'm not into VB   so i cant provide a recipe for it

but some of the extract brewers here will help you out

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, KW1525230175 said:

Can anyone share a good VB recipe, want to archive a malty sweetness mid way through the flavour

Kevin 

Hi Kevin & Welcome to the forum, I don't drink VB or try to make it, there are many recipes/clones available, here's one of them, all the best, Cheers Phil.

https://www.australianhomebrewing.com.au/beer-recipe-kit-vb-victoria-bitter-clone

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Hi Kevin & Welcome to the forum, I don't drink VB or try to make it, there are many recipes/clones available, here's one of them, all the best, Cheers Phil.

https://www.australianhomebrewing.com.au/beer-recipe-kit-vb-victoria-bitter-clone

That's the kind of folks we are on this forum @KW1525230175.  You want a VB recipe, and the bloke who probably hates VB the most of anybody on here, grits his teeth and still gives you his best advice.

It looks like a reasonably good extract recipe too.  I reckon I would add 300g of plain white sugar.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

light crystal malt. 250g steeped in cold water (2 litre), soaked overnight, strained, boiled for 15 mins, add some vic secret or pride of ringwood hops (30g or so) at the end, chill for half an hour and mix in a can of cooper's draught and brew enhancer 2. might not be exactly vb but it's a quick and easy drop to make with a good body and decent kick.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

That's the kind of folks we are on this forum @KW1525230175.  You want a VB recipe, and the bloke who probably hates VB the most of anybody on here, grits his teeth and still gives you his best advice.

It looks like a reasonably good extract recipe too.  I reckon I would add 300g of plain white sugar.

Cheers Shamus. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stickers said:

light crystal malt. 250g steeped in cold water (2 litre), soaked overnight, strained, boiled for 15 mins, add some vic secret or pride of ringwood hops (30g or so) at the end, chill for half an hour and mix in a can of cooper's draught and brew enhancer 2. might not be exactly vb but it's a quick and easy drop to make with a good body and decent kick.

• Like 1

Just now, Spursman said:

Classic and I have similar views on VB. However if you really want to go that way I suggest you start with 20 litres of Yarra water (even better if you can collect it after heavy rain).

Yeah & it doesn't matter if there are dead yabbies & birds in it, it may improve the flavour 🤣

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, KW1525230175 said:

Kevin 

Are you all grain or extract? Much easier to clone if all grain. You can make a delicious simple lager in the same style. 

• Like 2

By the way don't take to heart some of the comments here on VB. I consider myself somewhat a beer connisuer, but I'll always have a delicious cold VB, it's an icon and will be around much longer than everyone here.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

There are a few on here....

https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/true-aussie-bitter.html

https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/green-neck-lager.html

https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/the-voyage-supercrisp-mid.html

https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/fresh-draught.html

None of these will be that same but they may suit your palate.
VB from what I have read uses a lager yeast @ 18°c which is odd but apparently works for them.

• Like 2

Let us know how you go.
I have made a XXXX a like and really enjoyed it. The big commercial breweries do amazingly well at turning out identical tasting products that are clean and crisp.
I'm a fan of the XXXX Dry (which is I think their XXXX pale from a few years back) and also the JS Shackles.

Easy drinking Aussie pubs lagers have their place for sure,

@KW1525230175 if you cannot ferment at the temperatures suggested in the recipes above get some Mangrove Jacks California Lager yeast https://mangrovejacks.com/products/californian-lager-m54-yeast-10g which will give you the desired lager-ness

• Like 6

@KW1525230175  I will just add it is next to impossible to make an exact clone. You will make a VB inspired lager but at the home brew level we don't have the technology that the breweries use to make the mega swills.    

Also using the M54 Californian Lager yeast is a good tip. It is a great yeast. 

Edited by Marty_G
  • Like 1

On 3/26/2022 at 8:59 AM, Pale Man said:

By the way don't take to heart some of the comments here on VB. I consider myself somewhat a beer connisuer, but I'll always have a delicious cold VB, it's an icon and will be around much longer than everyone here.

In thje views of some, appreciating any of the mega-swills makes you a connisewer instead of a connoisseur. 😄 But they seem to forget, far more people drink any of those than the total number of craft beer drinkers in Australia.

It's 'fashionable' among the 'crafties' to slag off about them but I bet they wouldn't do it face-to-face with a pub full of those who drink it by preference. 😄 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Journeyman said:

In thje views of some, appreciating any of the mega-swills makes you a connisewer instead of a connoisseur. 😄 But they seem to forget, far more people drink any of those than the total number of craft beer drinkers in Australia.

It's 'fashionable' among the 'crafties' to slag off about them but I bet they wouldn't do it face-to-face with a pub full of those who drink it by preference. 😄 

Slightly off topic but I know what you mean, it reminds me of my trips to the country calling on pubs, as soon as I crossed the border into Mexico I got slung off at constantly about SA Beers mainly due to my number plates, most of them drink that green label beer stuff out of stubbies & quite often the Pub has introduced a few craft taps but they won't touch it. Most of the time it was a waste of time mentioning Home Brewing, further down the track into NSW & a much nicer reception as I found most of them didn't really care what you drank, they used to ask you & then buy you one. Selling Stubby Holders let me off the hook as most can relate to them. 

• Like 1