Coopers Community

dry hoping

davids47

51 minutes ago, davids47 said:

Just about to Dry hop the craft beer of the month, and it says yo use mesh pulled straight from the roll,

nothing about sterilizing it, will this not cause harm to beer, or do most sterilize before using

I just use the Chux type from Coles $1.00 pkt 10, also a clean one each time for cleaning the fermenters.As long as it is fresh out of the pack, it's fine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davids47 said:

Just about to Dry hop the craft beer of the month, and it says yo use mesh pulled straight from the roll,

nothing about sterilizing it, will this not cause harm to beer, or do most sterilize before using

I have done heaps of brews, dry hopped in a Chux cloth pulled straight from the bag.  

Lately, though I have started to boil the cloth (and the length of cooking string I use to tie up the cloth "bag" with) for 5 minutes before using them.  Just an extra precaution really and it is easy to do.  I had some dry hops not go as well as I had hoped.  I figured the extra step does not hurt and might help.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davids47 said:

do you just leave tied up hops to float on top, or weigh them down?

Most weigh them down with sanitised stainless steel ball bearing type thingy's or sanitised marbles (make sure there's no chips) or even a silver spoon. 

2 hours ago, davids47 said:

do you just leave tied up hops to float on top, or weigh them down?

I weigh mine down with sanitised marbles.  The Chux bag often still floats to the surface.  That's where the length of string comes in handy.  When I put the hop bag in the beer, I leave a short length of string at the edge of the FV.  If the bag is floating, I grab the string and use it to lift the bag and give it a bit of a jiggle, just enough for it to sink again.  That usually does the trick.

Current brew with string on side of FV.  Chux dry hop bag somewhere below the surface. iSpindel electronic hydrometer in the beer.  Boy this smelled nice when I took the lid off.

IMG_2896.JPG.12adca8a878b34b9525ffc8c545a5ee5.JPG

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

G'day Brewing Guru's. I've got a double batch KL Fresh 3 cube lager FWK going on in my FV. It's about to go into a cold crash over the coming days. I have done this brew before this lot without any additions and I want to add some hop flavour and possibly a little aroma. Style is supposed to be Aussie lager. I've got a heap of POR. I am thinking of a small quantity at cold crash 1.5 degrees C - commando. 

Question;  Would 10-15 grams of POR commando in 22 liters volume be enough quantity of hops to pimp this up  just a tad while it's CC'ing? I've used a Dubbya yeast slurry in both batches.

As these fresh wort kits do not come with any info re ingredients I'm not sure what hops were used  to bitter the wort.  Tasting it naked without any hop additions it's a little bland  and with a slight bitterness in the after taste, I get a malty hit at the beginning.

Forgive the description but that's about as sophisticated my taste buds get. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mickep said:

G'day Brewing Guru's. I've got a double batch KL Fresh 3 cube lager FWK going on in my FV. It's about to go into a cold crash over the coming days. I have done this brew before this lot without any additions and I want to add some hop flavour and possibly a little aroma. Style is supposed to be Aussie lager. I've got a heap of POR. I am thinking of a small quantity at cold crash 1.5 degrees C - commando. 

Question;  Would 10-15 grams of POR commando in 22 liters volume be enough quantity of hops to pimp this up  just a tad while it's CC'ing? I've used a Dubbya yeast slurry in both batches.

As these fresh wort kits do not come with any info re ingredients I'm not sure what hops were used  to bitter the wort.  Tasting it naked without any hop additions it's a little bland  and with a slight bitterness in the after taste, I get a malty hit at the beginning.

I would go for a bit more Mick, maybe 40 g or so…

I tend to store my lagers for a while and hence a bit of the old dreaded hop fade can occur - so I chuck in a bit extra. 
Up to you of course. 
I have also dry hopped lagers with New Zealand hops and they came out great - very different to an Aussie lager tho…

🍻🍻

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mickep said:

10-15grams go 25 minimum   my last beer i fermented was 200grams of dry hop, i'm not saying you should go that much in lagers

nothing like a bit of hopburn at the start, thats what starts the hair on the chest.  it will decrease with in a week

i am actually liking to tone boys idea 0f 40 grams dry hop  thats starting to be a bit of a juicy banger

Edited by ozdevil
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/25/2022 at 6:35 AM, Mickep said:

Most weigh them down with sanitised stainless steel ball bearing type thingy's or sanitised marbles (make sure there's no chips) or even a silver spoon. 

Will the silver spoon that I was born with in my mouth do, mate?  😉

• Haha 1