Coopers Community

G-Town Stout

evo_wm

Inspiration taken from this fellow on you-tube...

https://youtu.be/tddclso9WcM

Took the choc malt up to 500G mini mash on the stove, added 25G Fuggles at flame out and let steep for 30min.

Used Kveik due to warmer weather + no temp control but i have to say I am pretty chuffed with how it came out !

Cant wait to come back to it in a few months time 🍻

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
On 2/24/2022 at 1:59 PM, evo_wm said:

Took the choc malt up to 500G mini mash on the stove, added 25G Fuggles at flame out and let steep for 30min.

Used Kveik due to warmer weather + no temp control but i have to say I am pretty chuffed with how it came out !

Hey. I hope your stout turned out as good as mine did in the video. I still have a few bottles left which I'm trying to hold back and savour occasionally. It has really improved with age - the choc malt flavour mellows and I have wonderful vanilla note coming through. If you can resist drinking them all, I would definitely recommend putting a few aside and forgetting about them for a few months. Anyway, happy brewing and Cheers!

Edited by The G-Town Brewer

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/19/2022 at 3:48 PM, The G-Town Brewer said:

Hey. I hope your stout turned out as good as mine did in the video. I still have a few bottles left which I'm trying to hold back and savour occasionally. It has really improved with age - the choc malt flavour mellows and I have wonderful vanilla note coming through. If you can resist drinking them all, I would definitely recommend putting a few aside and forgetting about them for a few months. Anyway, happy brewing and Cheers!

It came out quiet nicely indeed, still have a few stashed away but they are disappearing at a rapid rate 🍻

Rate your channel mate, keep up the good work  👍

On 2/24/2022 at 9:59 PM, evo_wm said:

You steeped 500g of choc malt in a 23l brew? I had always heard that would be too much but you say it turned out pretty good?  Please let me know I would like to load up a batch . I'm on the kveik stouts too 

• Like 1

On 6/18/2022 at 10:30 AM, BreweyMcHops said:

You steeped 500g of choc malt in a 23l brew? I had always heard that would be too much but you say it turned out pretty good?  Please let me know I would like to load up a batch . I'm on the kveik stouts too 

There are some posts on here from PB2 (former admin) about his Choc Porter using 1kg choc malt. I made it (with some skepticism) and it was surprisingly good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/18/2022 at 10:30 AM, BreweyMcHops said:

I use 300g choc malt and 300g chock wheat in my Choc Milk Porter and it turns out fine. Nice chocolatey after 4 months maturing.

• Thanks 1

Any suggestion of a high alcohol tolerant yeast for a stout / porter?

Reason I ask is I bottle & didn't get any 2nd ferment last time which basically gave me a flat sweetened stout. I think the yeast totally exhausted itself or the ABV(about 8-9% at bottling) killed it off.

Don't have the notes of the brew as it was on a phone app that died on me. 

23 minutes ago, JoeB7 said:

Reason I ask is I bottle & didn't get any 2nd ferment last time which basically gave me a flat sweetened stout. I think the yeast totally exhausted itself or the ABV(about 8-9% at bottling) killed it off.

For a high alcohol beer it’s probably more about how much yeast you pitch instead of what type of yeast you use for example I used a whole yeast cake of lager yeast from a previous lower alcohol beer for a Baltic Porter which was just under 9% and the yeast dealt with it easily. So you probably just need more yeast packets or need to make a starter to give the yeast a chance so they don’t stress out and give up. There are different yeasts that are more tolerant but I think the higher pitch rate is more important.

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, JoeB7 said:

Nottingham is my go to for higher alcohol brews.  I used it in an 11% brew a few weeks ago.  No problems.  Although I did not ferment in bottles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Nottingham is my go to for higher alcohol brews.  I used it in an 11% brew a few weeks ago.  No problems.  Although I did not ferment in bottles.

Notty is a real king yeasty 

• Like 2

On 7/9/2022 at 1:18 PM, JoeB7 said:

M42 New World Strong Ale yeast is good too

On 7/9/2022 at 10:45 AM, Aussiekraut said:

I use 300g choc malt and 300g chock wheat in my Choc Milk Porter and it turns out fine. Nice chocolatey after 4 months maturing.

Interesting, thanks! Are you using any base malts or are you doing extract plus steeping grains ( like me) Do you also use cocoa powder , or cocoa nibs? 

8 hours ago, BreweyMcHops said:

Interesting, thanks! Are you using any base malts or are you doing extract plus steeping grains ( like me) Do you also use cocoa powder , or cocoa nibs? 

I use Maris Otter as base malt with a good helping of wheat and a little medium crystal. No cocoa nibs or powder. The choc flavours all come from the grains. I just add half a kilo of Lactose for the sweetness.

On 6/24/2022 at 7:41 AM, Hairy said:

There are some posts on here from PB2 (former admin) about his Choc Porter using 1kg choc malt. I made it (with some skepticism) and it was surprisingly good.

Oh WHAT 1kg?? If this is true then...I've been seriously mislead

On 7/12/2022 at 9:09 PM, BreweyMcHops said:

Im getting back into brewing and usually brew with extracts plus steeping grains and hops etc. I’ve got a simple stout, been kegged for about 3 weeks but not carbonated or chilled yet, I’ll try to give it a few weeks more before tasting. It’s got about 250g of choc malt, but reading all this encourages me to use more in future.

I have used other things in addition to choc malt grain before (chilli, roasted desiccated coconut etc, as per a few coopers recipes), they all turned out quite nicely.

• Like 3