Coopers Community

What beer stuff did you make today?

Oldbloke

21 hours ago, MUZZY said:

Thanks for noticing the profile pic change, Phil. After almost 23 years of bus driving I'm on the cusp of a job change. A few final details need to be sorted but if it goes ahead I'll be working for a vegetable processing company.  I'll know in "A cuppla days, bewdifull." 😄 

Good luck on that on Muzz, hope it works out for you ! 

Back on track, I've got some drilling to do on my fridge now that I've got all of my taps and line delivered. Will post some pics when I get round to it

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Thirsty Jim said:

@oldbloke The reflective lining in your cupboard is interesting.   Any reason for that  🤨 ?

Aluminum Foil can stand high temperatures & is impervious to moisture, light, bacteria and all gases. Lining a a dark cabinet with foil reflects light in dark cabinets and is easy to clean with a damp sponge and can be used both sides if it needs changing. The other advantage is it can be replaced if needed at a low cost.

Cheers

Phil

• Like 4

9 hours ago, stquinto said:

Back on track, I've got some drilling to do on my fridge now that I've got all of my taps and line delivered. Will post some pics when I get round to it

Jeez @stquinto you are going to have to cut back work to make time for your extended beer journey, moving to BIAM/AG now kegging.  Just tell them your new hobby is demanding & you need to spend more time on it which would also leave you in a fresher state to concentrate on work with lesser hours. 🤣

Seriously I do applaud you for advancing to the next level, after my new brew today Coopers Real Ale I am going to start with grain additions on a regular basis also getting more hops into the brews.

All the best with your fridge set up, I have a few fridges that could be converted but I am not much of a handyman and I don't have the tools required.

Cheers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Jeez @stquinto you are going to have to cut back work to make time for your extended beer journey, moving to BIAM/AG now kegging.  Just tell them your new hobby is demanding & you need to spend more time on it which would also leave you in a fresher state to concentrate on work with lesser hours. 🤣

Seriously I do applaud you for advancing to the next level, after my new brew today Coopers Real Ale I am going to start with grain additions on a regular basis also getting more hops into the brews.

All the best with your fridge set up, I have a few fridges that could be converted but I am not much of a handyman and I don't have the tools required.

Cheers.

Cheers Phil! I reckon I’ll go see the boss tomorrow, I’m sure he’ll understand. Make sure my CV’s up to date mind 🤣

I admit I’ve taken on a shed-load in one go, might have been a bit better one at a time. Do my best 👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, stquinto said:

Cheers Phil! I reckon I’ll go see the boss tomorrow, I’m sure he’ll understand. Make sure my CV’s up to date mind 🤣

I admit I’ve taken on a shed-load in one go, might have been a bit better one at a time. Do my best 👍

If you’ve bitten off more than you can chew Sainter, just keep chewing 👍

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, oldbloke said:

@DavidM are you going with coopers long necks or plastic bottles long term.?

Long Necks, plastic came with the kit, I was so lucky, my neighbour had about 80 long necks but he is not ready to brew yet.

(Bottles were real dirty, had a hard time getting some of the Red label clean)

37 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Long Necks, plastic came with the kit, I was so lucky, my neighbour had about 80 long necks but he is not ready to brew yet.

(Bottles were real dirty, had a hard time getting some of the Red label clean)

Upside down in the dishwasher mate. But send the Mrs to the ladies club first.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, oldbloke said:

Upside down in the dishwasher mate. But send the Mrs to the ladies club first.

Can't do that, She is the dishwasher. out on the lawn with the garden hose, even then some had to be soaked then hit with the garden hose!

Gardenline-Power-Blaster.jpg

This cost me $10  a couple of years ago from Aldi.  If you leave the nozzle on it shoots pressurized water into a beer bottle but is too fat to get into the bottle.  Take the nozzle off and you can get the wand all the way down to the bottom of the bottle with enough rotation to reach into the corners.  Water goes everywhere. Best done on the back lawn in shorts on the sunny day in between swigs of chilling ale.  

Nice valve which allows you to control the pressure. Additional spray pattern nozzle.  Good for watering the garden, washing the car, etc.  Definitely NOT an alternative to a powered pressure cleaner but a useful bit of kit just the same.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Thirsty Jim said:

Gardenline-Power-Blaster.jpg

This cost me $10  a couple of years ago from Aldi.  If you leave the nozzle on it shoots pressurized water into a beer bottle but is too fat to get into the bottle.  Take the nozzle off and you can get the wand all the way down to the bottom of the bottle with enough rotation to reach into the corners.  Water goes everywhere. Best done on the back lawn in shorts on the sunny day in between swigs of chilling ale.  

Nice valve which allows you to control the pressure. Additional spray pattern nozzle.  Good for watering the garden, washing the car, etc.  Definitely NOT an alternative to a powered pressure cleaner but a useful bit of kit just the same.

I've got one of them and tried it but with the Nozzle on, too long to be controlled but it was fun, back to the spray gun set on "Jet"

Will take the Nozzle off and try next time I have real dirty bottles. 🙂

Here’s some pics of an el-cheapo secondary fermentation heater that I made from some recycled stuff that I have posted on another thread previously.

I had an unused old school globe (40W) lying around. I also had lying around 2 cans of baked beans, some blu-tack, an old batten lamp socket, part of an extension cord left over from building a temp controller, an off-cut of 45mm pine that the batten socket is now screwed onto, a rubber grommet and some silver heater ducting tape.

I got creative and used them to knock up this for conditioning my bottles and stubbies in the brew fridge. Running off the Stc-1000 it only takes up the space of one bottle and doesn’t emit any light.

Heater 1.JPG

Heater 2.JPG

Fridge heater.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oldbloke said:

Does it matter if it gives off light?  Stubbies are brown.

I just use a batten fitting screwed to a lump of wood.

Yep, the brown glass is supposed to protect them from being light struck but I find I always have a tendency to err on the side of caution 🙂

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't make this one, only installed it!

Bluetooth temp checker for the bottle room, also reads the outside temps (back and front) as well.

Bottle room is the Blue one. Don't need it now (summer) but come winter time it will be a big help.

20211129_142607.thumb.jpg.cf0c4d9bfa815d3c9e220502709ef886.jpg

On 11/13/2021 at 2:31 PM, thebeerpig said:

Here’s some pics of an el-cheapo secondary fermentation heater that I made from some recycled stuff that I have posted on another thread previously.

I had an unused old school globe (40W) lying around

That's not 'el cheapo, 😄 THIS is el cheapo! 😄 

Canned Heat.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Behold the Bottle Capper 9000!

Not something I made today but made on "a" day about 35 years ago when I made really bad beer.

My Wander home brew kit came with this cap applicator attached to like a wood file handle and the instructions said to hammer the caps on. I thought screw that. Then a few pieces of scrap metal from my dads shed, a chunk of old conveyor belt, about 20 minutes and half a welding stick later I had made my beautiful and elegant cap putteronerer.

The U shaped hinge is specifically designed to keep the handle in an upright position after some fine tuning with a 4lb hammer.

It has served me well for thousands of bottles and countless hours, it continues to do so.  🙂

Capper.jpg

Edited by Frosty Chop
xtra words
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Not beer stuff that I made but most likely fits with the theme of this thread.

I bought this thingamajig from ebay a few years ago to keep track of the various bottles in my fridge when I'm having a sip. All the finer details of what's in the bottle are found in my brewing logbook.

This model allows up to 10 characters so you can print a word like CANADIAN if that's what you need for the description. 

label.jpg

• Like 3