Coopers Community

Carlsberg Pilsner

When we finally get the power back on (hopefully this WE) I am going to do a Carlsberg Pilsner clone and the recipe calls for Flaked Maize so I bought 5 kg so I can do several batches each with a little tweak if necessary.

I presume there is no need to mill this stuff as it looks like it is ready to go into the mash.

Also presume I mash it in when I do the other grains for the full mash time?

TIA - AL

• Like 1

Just now, iBooz2 said:

When we finally get the power back on (hopefully this WE) I am going to do a Carlsberg Pilsner clone and the recipe calls for Flaked Maize so I bought 5 kg so I can do several batches each with a little tweak if necessary.

I presume there is no need to mill this stuff as it looks like it is ready to go into the mash.

Also presume I mash it in when I do the other grains for the full mash time?  Anyone had experience with Flaked Maize?

TIA - AL

39 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Also presume I mash it in when I do the other grains for the full mash time?

TIA - AL

Yeah no need to mill it mate. Ready to go into the mash as is for the full mash time. 

• Like 1

WILMA, I’M HOME

After a week of living like the Flintstones in bedrock like conditions we finally have power back on tonight so here comes a big brew day tomorrow.

Yabba Dabba doooooooooo

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

21 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Yeah no need to mill it mate. Ready to go into the mash as is for the full mash time. 

Thanks Greeny, (sorry I think I hit quote instead of edit, it was a bit dark to see here at that time ha ha).  All is good so will have a crack at my Carlsberg recipe after I lay down another Leigh's Lager for my sick mate tomorrow.  The Carlsberg is next in line,  might get it done tomorrow but we will see, if not it will be mashed on Sunday then a Tooheys old just for something different -  thanks again.

8 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

Awesome news man. Happy days!!

Oh I forgot to ask…what hops goes in a Carlsberg? 

Yes it is good to back from camping in my own house to actually being able to live in it.   I feel very sorry for the thousands that will still be doing that camping thing for weeks to come.

According to my recipe it has 30 g Saaz @ 90" then 20 g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh @ 30".  Note @Tone boy I have not made this before so just going to stick to that recipe for a start and see what makes and see what breaks.

Cheers - AL

1 hour ago, iBooz2 said:

WILMA, I’M HOME

After a week of living like the Flintstones in bedrock like conditions we finally have power back on tonight so here comes a big brew day tomorrow.

Yabba Dabba doooooooooo

Great news boozer, lets hope that all the other power deprived households get the juice back on soon!

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Yes it is good to back from camping in my own house to actually being able to live in it.   I feel very sorry for the thousands that will still be doing that camping thing for weeks to come.

According to my recipe it has 30 g Saaz @ 90" then 20 g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh @ 30".  Note @Tone boy I have not made this before so just going to stick to that recipe for a start and see what makes and see what breaks.

Cheers - AL

Which yeast are you using mate?

10 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Which yeast are you using mate?

WLP850 Copenhagen Lager Yeast then I am going to do another batch with the Lalbrew Premium Series - Diamond Lager Yeast to see what the differences are (or vise-versa) depending on the  shipping of the WLP850 as I already have the Diamond in stock.

44 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

WLP850 Copenhagen Lager Yeast then I am going to do another batch with the Lalbrew Premium Series - Diamond Lager Yeast to see what the differences are (or vise-versa) depending on the  shipping of the WLP850 as I already have the Diamond in stock.

Was going say get your hands on WY2042 but WLP850 is the same which is the carlsberg yeast. Great yeast for an Aussie lager too.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

For some yeasts yeah it is worth it IMO. You do need a starter though for lagers. I think you will find 2124 is W34/70

either that or w34/70 is one of the Bavarian or Munich lager variety? they all probably similar in ways. so u reckon liquid versions make better taste? I couldn't even find one u quote on grain and grape or cheeky peak

Edited by jamiek86

On 6/17/2021 at 9:16 PM, jamiek86 said:

either that or w34/70 is one of the Bavarian or Munich lager variety? they all probably similar in ways. so u reckon liquid versions make better taste? I couldn't even find one u quote on grain and grape or cheeky peak

No I wouldn't say that liquid yeast makes a better beer. Different yes and more variety yes but not better. One of my fav yeasts at the moment is a dry yeast Verdant. I tried a lot of yeasts for pale ales and IPA's. I settled on WY1272 and new world strong for pale ales and IPA's. But have been blown away with what Verdant does for accentuating hops

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

But have been blown away with what Verdant does for accentuating hops

If the aromas coming out of my fermenter with Verdant yeast are any indicator I totally agree and can’t wait 😛 I do however want to try white labs London ale yeast for. Porter and red Irish ale. Does anyone have experience with that meant to give Oak esters?

Edited by RDT2

41 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

No I wouldn't say that liquid yeast makes a better beer. Different yes and more variety yes but not better. One of my fav yeasts at the moment is a dry yeast Verdant. I tried a lot of yeasts for pale ales and IPA's. I settled on WY1272 and new world strong for pale ales and IPA's. But have been blown away with what Verdant does for accentuating hops

if they no better I will just stick with the dry yeast then heaps more convenient and easy to store.