Coopers Community

Stepping up

Titan

Captain, it will be OK if the oven is the only thing on that circuit which we presume it is because that is the standard setup in most houses with electric ovens.

So if you unplug the oven first and plug your G70 into that same oven GPO (provided the GPO is a proper 15 A with the bigger earth pin to match the G70) then all is good.

Is this a wall oven we are talking about here?  Can you get to the oven GPO easily and unplug / re-plug?  Are you going to be using a very short 15 A extension lead and brew in your kitchen?

If the oven GPO is a 10 A outlet (i.e. standard earth pin size) please do not be tempted to use a cheat extension lead, that is 10 A plug one end and 15 A socket the other.  THEY ARE ILLEGAL!

Cheers - AL

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Is it necessary though. I’m moving out in 12 months. If Ivan get away with the oven circuit then it’ll be ok

If you’re moving then it’s probably not much use then. If you are going to run it over a lead then make sure it’s a thick one and as short as you can.

Just tell him what your going to run on it when you get him to replace the point, and he’ll probably check the capability of the cable to the point.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Captain, it will be OK if the oven is the only thing on that circuit which we presume it is because that is the standard setup in most houses with electric ovens.

So if you unplug the oven first and plug your G70 into that same oven GPO (provided the GPO is a proper 15 A with the bigger earth pin to match the G70) then all is good.

Is this a wall oven we are talking about here?  Can you get to the oven GPO easily and unplug / re-plug?  Are you going to be using a very short 15 A extension lead and brew in your kitchen?

If the oven GPO is a 10 A outlet (i.e. standard earth pin size) please do not be tempted to use a cheat extension lead, that is 10 A plug one end and 15 A socket the other.  THEY ARE ILLEGAL!

Cheers - AL

Cheers for the reply!!!

extension lead will only be about 4m.

The oven itself is a standard oven in pic. 
Id never use the oven and grainfather at the same time. 

if I change the regular 10A socket to the 15A socket is that still ok?

6C3C5124-C9FA-4ED6-B595-4F0AFCBABAC6.jpeg

Edited by The Captain!!

Hi Captain,

Looking at the  photos the oven does not look like it is RCD protected, which is not very cool as there is water  and electricity involved when brewing..

Probably should have designated 15A circuit that is RCD protected to power up the G70 - IMO, sorry mate.

Changing the oven plug from 10A to 15A would be OK as the oven circuit breaker is 16A - but only if it is being used to power up an oven.........?????

Cheers

James

Edited by James Lao
  • Like 2

Captain,  Get a sparky to change over the GPO if it is not 15 A type.  He will issue a certificate/statement of compliance and the owner of the property is then covered re insurance etc.

If you are renting this property you cannot modify any electrical or plumbing fixtures or fitting without the landlords consent. Get this in writing first.

If you own this property you still have to get get a licensed sparky to fit and then issue certificate/statement otherwise both your home and home contents insurance is shot!   If the place ever catches fire they will go though everything to get out of paying any insurance on the place/contents and they will compare physical with issued certificates so please do not do this yourself.  Plus if you sell soon you may, (depending on state laws) be required to provide said certificate/statement etc to buyer.

The CB to the right is a 40 A RCD so what ever is on that cct. is RCD protected so its strange that the mains CB is not RCD unless the whole house is only on a 35 A feed (i.e 1 x 16 mm2 input).  Most house these days are on a 70 A feed ( 2 x 16 mm2 input). You can check what you are on by looking at the wire or wires coming from your power pole out in the street to your house.  If its a single wire its 35 A, if its a twisted pair of wires (2) then you are on a 70 A feed.

Cheers - AL

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 4

Could do an easy test to see if oven GPO is RCD protected.

Turn the oven on, then press the test / trip button on the RCD at the switchboard.

If oven goes off, it is protected.

Personally wouldn’t power up an electric brewing system that wasn’t RCD protected.

Too risky with water and electricity.

But as AL said get a sparky to have a look for sure.

Cheers

James

• Like 1

Thanks lads @iBooz2 @NewBrewsand @James Lao

Getting the sparky in next week im back.  Ill just get them to change the plug over if possible, if not, run a small circuit in the garage.

Either way its going to be minimal cost. 

Sooooooo looking forward to my next house. Got a full workshop and brew room planned.

Edited by The Captain!!
  • Like 2

What does the G70 pull at max power?

Edit: just checked it, 3300w & a dedicated 15amp socket if you wish to use that wattage.

My Guten 50L can use up to 3000w if needed, but I must admit I've not had any problems restricting it to 2400w in the two brews I've done so far using the Ampfibian converter that was recommended & used by others here on the forum. A number of the online brewing videos do mention that the full wattage is not required in a lot of cases.

Definitely saved me a lot of dough from the alternative using a sparky to create & hard wire up a dedicated 15amp socket.

The outdoor socket I plug my Guten into is wired to a 16amp socket. Given the Ampfibian does have it's own cut-off, it would be interesting to see how far I can push it (if at all) beyond the 2400w mark.

Just my 20 cents,

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Beerlust said:

What does the G70 pull at max power?

Edit: just checked it, 3300w & a dedicated 15amp socket if you wish to use that wattage.

My Guten 50L can use up to 3000w if needed, but I must admit I've not had any problems restricting it to 2400w in the two brews I've done so far using the Ampfibian converter that was recommended & used by others here on the forum. A number of the online brewing videos do mention that the full wattage is not required in a lot of cases.

Definitely saved me a lot of dough from the alternative using a sparky to create & hard wire up a dedicated 15amp socket.

Just my 20 cents,

Lusty.

Thanks for the 20c Lusty. I’ll look into that as to start I’ll only be doing 46L batches. 
Still getting sparky in. He’s a mate and will do it cheeeeep, like the bird!

Edited by The Captain!!
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Beerlust said:

The outdoor socket I plug my Guten into is wired to a 16amp socket.

I meant wired to a 16amp breaker. The outdoor socket is your typical 10amp hence the need for the Ampfibian converter to run the Guten unit.

@Titan

So my move to this brew system was similar to your reasons that it would reduce brewdays. 
I now have a months supply of beer in 5 hours. 
My brew day was about the same as it is with BIAB however I didn’t time it. 
The temp settings were spot on and efficiency was around 77%. 
Sparge was slow however numbers were bang on so I don’t care. 
easy to clean and wort was clear as going into the cube. 
The GF filter system is fantastic and to be honest I’m not sure why the unit got poor reviews. 
I didn’t use the app as I don’t care for that type of automation however it was really easy to use. 
BeerSmith provided the calcs and it was absolutely bang on. 
I may need to account for another litre for the wort chiller loss but otherwise fine. 

This unit is amazing and simple and it’s worth the price tag. Not for everyone However I’m not regretting the purchase at all.
Looking forward to tasting the beer and seeing the difference if any. From Biab to this unit. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey, thought I’d give some more feedback on this G70.

I really love this unit. 
ive absolutely dialed in my brew house efficiency. I’m right on 77% everytime. 
Doing steps is easy as and the recirc is making my wort o lot clearer. 
I brew 47 litre batches to fill two cubes and have chilled a brew too to fill up two FVs and the chiller works great.

chilling beer for me works best in late autumn to spring as water is cold enough. 

Anyone looking at this unit, I hole hearted endorse this product

• Like 4