Coopers Community

Stepping up

Titan

I’m guessing it’s got a whopping price tag.....?

will it make you a better brewer? 

will friends know the difference of beer brewed on a cheaper system? Probably not. 

off topic, sort of.....I make a living taking photographs.....I havnt got the best camera money can buy....it’s a lot better than most would have but if I were to use the best money could buy....I doubt the photos would be any different on a 5k camera or a 10k camera. Much like photography, brewing has many principles and methods that have remained the same since the dawn of time. A few things along the way improve but if you know what you’re guidelines are you’ll be golden. 

sorry I’m rambling! 

• Like 7

Only reason is brew day i 

4 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Or is it just the amount of volume due to your limited brew days @Titan. Brew double the amount for the sameish time?

Yep this is what im looking at. 1 brew double amount. Brew day time roughly the same.

• Like 1

Just now, Titan said:

Only reason is brew day i 

Yep this is what im looking at. 1 brew double amount. Brew day time roughly the same.

Looking at how much you have brewed in the past months, I honestly think it’s a good idea for you. Double brew days are hectic when time restrained. But as above, costly.

2 hours ago, Titan said:

Really interested in the G70 grainfather, anyone else transitioned.

My understanding is they are one of several programmable kettles which all perform well.   There is a group on Fbook that is a grainfather brewing page called David Heath and I have noticed some quaility issues with them, that for the price, would annoy the daylights out of me as they are not cheap some with new or near new items. 

• Like 1

Like you Titan im getting more time poor as well which keeps me looking at bigger systems. I have been looking to make a 70L 3V system which would allow me to pump out about 100L of wort in about 6 or 7 hours. Mashing one while the other is boiling and cubing from there. Id brew every 2 months. Worth a look if you have space in your garage.

Edited by Greeny1525229549
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

off topic, sort of.....I make a living taking photographs.....I havnt got the best camera money can buy....it’s a lot better than most would have but if I were to use the best money could buy....I doubt the photos would be any different on a 5k camera or a 10k camera. Much like photography, brewing has many principles and methods that have remained the same since the dawn of time. A few things along the way improve but if you know what you’re guidelines are you’ll be golden. 

Yup...same situation here.  My only casual income at the moment is through my efforts with a beaten up, antiquated camera that is over eight years old.  And while I am surrounded by gear snobs (online) who haven't hesitated to belittle me for it on occasion, I'm actually the only one among them to have been published in any way.  So, while it's absolutely true that gear has quite a small part to play in the quality of the end product,  good equipment can make the process of getting there a lot easier and perhaps more pleasurable too, but it does invariably come at a high price! 

If I had the cash to spare I'd be upgrading all sorts of gadgetry, cars, computers, cameras etc including all my brewing kit, but I have no expectation that I would take better photos or brew better beer etc as a consequence!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 3/13/2020 at 5:28 AM, BlackSands said:

Yup...same situation here.  My only casual income at the moment is through my efforts with a beaten up, antiquated camera that is over eight years old.  And while I am surrounded by gear snobs (online) who haven't hesitated to belittle me for it on occasion, I'm actually the only one among them to have been published in any way.  So, while it's absolutely true that gear has quite a small part to play in the quality of the end product,  good equipment can make the process of getting there a lot easier and perhaps more pleasurable too, but it does invariably come at a high price! 

If I had the cash to spare I'd be upgrading all sorts of gadgetry, cars, computers, cameras etc including all my brewing kit, but I have no expectation that I would take better photos or brew better beer etc as a consequence!

I play golf with a mate. Lovely guy, hopeless at golf. He thinks he will improve when he gets new shoes and can afford to upgrade his 4 year old Callaways. I played for 20+ years with a set of Tommy Armours, which were used when I bought them. Got a new set 5 years ago and I play much the same...

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

So what are the advantages of a 70 l 3V system over say  70L BIAB.   

Main advantage that i see is the volume you can pump out. Because you have a seperate mash and boil vessel you can mash a batch while your boiling another. So you could get double the volume out for only an extra hour or two work. If you had a 70L biab it would take you about 8 or 9 hours to get out 100L. With a 3V you could get it done in 5 or 6. Disadvantage is you need space to store it all.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Lab Rat said:

I play golf with a mate. Lovely guy, hopeless at golf. He thinks he will improve when he gets new shoes and can afford to upgrade his 4 year old Callaways. I played for 20+ years with a set of Tommy Armours, which were used when I bought them. Got a new set 5 years ago and I play much the same...

I've had the same set of clubs since 1994. By not playing golf for about 5 years, my beer making has improved markedly. 😄 

• Haha 6