Coopers Community

Stepping up

Titan

Taking a step back from this. Not really happy with any of the systems on offer. I have the equipment to double batch right now so will batch 1 in grainfather and batch 2 BIAB at the same time. Issues i can see however may be the power i draw and garage cuircut breaker. I have a spa bath which has its power in the garage but i think it may be on a different cuircut. I can maybe use this.

On 3/12/2020 at 9:19 PM, Titan said:

Yep this is what im looking at. 1 brew double amount. Brew day time roughly the same.

Brewzilla/Robobrew have a 65L version for $650 from Kegland. A far cry from $2000.

For the reasons you outline Titan, I'm seriously considering it when I make the move to AG. Only downside for me going that larger route is that I'd have to upgrade to a full sized fridge to ferment batches that size, as my current fermentation fridge is only good for one 30 odd litre sized fermenter at a time.

Decisions, decisions...

Cheers,

Lusty.

12 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Brewzilla/Robobrew have a 65L version for $650 from Kegland. A far cry from $2000.

For the reasons you outline Titan, I'm seriously considering it when I make the move to AG. Only downside for me going that larger route is that I'd have to upgrade to a full sized fridge to ferment batches that size, as my current fermentation fridge is only good for one 30 odd litre sized fermenter at a time.

Decisions, decisions...

Cheers,

Lusty.

Look at both zilla and guten. Not happy you cant connect and program them with you mash and boil parameters. Guten had issues with build quality. G30 is a great unit on its own. David Heath reckons g70 has issues with temparature control. Im lucky as have 2 freezers and a wine fridge so can have 4 ferments going at the same time.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Been thinking about this more and more and tending towards the G70. 

I figure that I can get the micro fittings to make 25l batches or make a full batch and after mash transfer half to the urn and make two different beers from there. As I’ll only be making 46l to fermenter wort or two 23l worts I’ll have no issues with boil overs and if there’s ever something that comes up where I can cater then a full 60l batch is pretty handy. 
Just need to figure out how much a 15amp circuit will cost me. Hopefully I can use existing cable and just change the breaker.  

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

So!

when it comes to stepping up a recipe, have others come to different ratios in grains and hops that I should take into consideration?

As in, is it linear in batch size? From 23-43-60l?

Yes, it is linear. Efficiency may be different though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hairy said:

Yes, it is linear. Efficiency may be different though.

Thanks Hairy

Thought as much just wanted to be certain. 
They say on the G70, it’s around 75% efficiency. So I’ll run with that for now

Edited by The Captain!!

On 3/14/2020 at 2:11 AM, MartyG1525230263 said:

So what are the advantages of a 70 l 3V system over say  70L BIAB.   

Not sure, but with a 70L BIAB system I am curious how you would lift that much wet grain, or find a pot big enough, or have a way to heat it. Can't imagine. People do this?

Cheers,

Christina.

Edited by ChristinaS1

1 hour ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Not sure, but with a 70L BIAB system I am curious how you would lift that much wet grain, or find a pot big enough, or have a way to heat it. Can't imagine. People do this?

Cheers,

Christina.

This is how to lift it. To be honest it is not that heavy. I only make double batches 1 in 3 times so only need to full capacity of the kettle then. They usually have around 7- 8kg of grain in them.  With the pulley it is easy. Bit of physics 101.  The pic is a bit unclear. That is attached to the roof of the garage it is the steel work that holds the automatic door.  The other pic is my system set up. 

20200806_173638.jpg

20200724_083158.jpg

Edited by MartyG1525230263
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Titan said:

Interested to see how you go mate.

Ill make sure to keep you posted. I think its going to make my brewing a lot more flexible.

Ill keep my urn for obvious reasons and still do BIAB in it. However, ill be doing my regulars on the G70 or when I want to give wort away.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Any electricians out there???

Would my oven circuit power the G70? 
Breaker is a HPM C16 HL4116, and the power socket is a normal 10A, if I was to change the socket (by an electrician) would that circuit be ok? 

1E9E366E-17CA-4EF6-9831-877215735B1F.jpeg

Edited by The Captain!!

1 hour ago, NewBrews said:

I’d be putting a seperate circuit in.

We had issues with relatively short length runs on a shared 15 amp circuit at Christmas a couple of years ago.

Is it necessary though. I’m moving out in 12 months. If I can get away with the oven circuit then it’ll be ok

Edited by The Captain!!