Coopers Community

My Keezer Build

Beer Baron

13 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Maybe an issue with the taps? Could be some roughness inside causing turbulence. Maybe the font fan isn't working very well. I cut the conduit on mine and it just pokes in the bottom of the font, blowing cold air up into it. I remember reading or hearing some instructions at some point to stick it as far up as possible but that doesn't really work.

You could try lowering the kegerator to zero and see if it makes any difference. The colder the beer is the harder it is for the gas to come out of solution.

Well well, Kegerator on 0,  fan lowered to the base of the font, what do ya know, good pour.

Otto is a legend 😜🍺

615EDDDD-54B6-42AD-B420-015FDF168ACC.jpeg

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

It really is a major design flaw in a product that is dedicated to dispensing cold beer.  Personally I would be super pissed off it was a brand new unit.  

The fan helps, but it doesn’t come with the fridge, you have to buy the fan as an extra. I bought an extra one for my keezer but don’t need it as the temps are more consistent in a chest freezer as the lid is on the top keeping cold air nice & low around the kegs, as opposed to a Kegerator, which is a front door arrangement in which you lose a lot of cold air immediately upon opening. 
But my mate Otto,s advice has certainly helped regarding the Kegerator set up.

• Like 1

I got some timber for the collar today. The hardwood was way too expensive so maybe in time I’ll upgrade. I got some pine and some dark stain and I’m sure it will warp but that will have to do for now because money is tight. 

I’ll post a picture of my progress tomorrow

• Like 1

I'm not sure it's a design flaw such but more an instruction flaw when they suggest to put the font fan conduit all the way up the font. Works fine when it's just in the bottom blowing air up but it really doesn't work the other way. Due to part of the line and the taps being exposed to warm air it helps to have the temperature set around 0 to -1 as well to reduce foaming. The beer won't be that cold in the glass. 

• Like 1

Hi BB.

I have the exact same freezer I use for my kegs. If you're gonna make a collar & go the whole tap thing then make sure your collar is wide enough to allow for an extra keg on the compressor hump inside.

Insidekeezer.jpg

I initially purchased some bronco picnic taps to save a bit of coin with plans to build a collar & install external taps, but they worked so well being housed completely within the freezer, I never bothered to upgrade. No first pour frothy beer issues at all that are caused by heat from external taps/fonts. Also I drink & brew with a routine that has never required a third keg spot placement, & the extra space comes in handy for all sorts of other things I don't need to find space for in the main fridge of the house.

Everyone is different of course.

Cheers & best of luck with the planned build.

Lusty.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

If you're gonna make a collar & go the whole tap thing then make sure your collar is wide enough to allow for an extra keg on the compressor hump inside

I have a 9.5L keg on the compressor hump

12 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

the extra space comes in handy for all sorts of other things I don't need to find space for in the main fridge of the house.

I have the basket in the top and plenty of extra room for extra milk, juice and soft drink. 

Thanks for the tips Lusty!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beer Baron said:

I got some timber for the collar today. The hardwood was way too expensive so maybe in time I’ll upgrade. I got some pine and some dark stain and I’m sure it will warp but that will have to do for now because money is tight. 

I’ll post a picture of my progress tomorrow

Hey BB, I totally understand the $ factor, you run with what you can afford.

I double lined mine, hardwood outside, pine inside, sprayed foam insulation between the two.

I also put this below on the inside glued to my pine, great insulation, cost me like $15/sheet from Bunnings, so if your going all pine I suggest this method.

I have absolutely no temp problems on my keezer with this, and I’m in SEQLD.

I can take more photos of my build if you want, once again, good luck with the build, keen to see pics., always happy to assist.

Cheers 🍺🍺

7E8D6A4C-E639-4A36-882C-4EAE42D89D76.jpeg

• Like 1

There was a guy (KHELLENDROS13) on the forum quite a few years back that did a full pictorial of his keezer build. Very detailed, & I along with everyone else, was very impressed with what he did. After a bit of searching I found the old thread here on the forum, but all the old pic links he posted have been severed. The collar build link he followed for that part however, was not. 

https://homebrewacademy.com/kegerator-collar/

Definitely worth a look for those interested in doing this.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

There was a guy (KHELLENDROS13) on the forum quite a few years back that did a full pictorial of his keezer build. Very detailed, & I along with everyone else, was very impressed with what he did. After a bit of searching I found the old thread here on the forum, but all the old pic links he posted have been severed. The collar build link he followed for that part however, was not. 😊

https://homebrewacademy.com/kegerator-collar/

Definitely worth a look for those interesting in doing this.

Cheers,

Lusty.

I think I looked at his build whilst getting ideas for mine 😃

11 hours ago, Beer Baron said:

I already hate this collar build. The pine is crap quality so this will be temporary until I get some hardwood to replace it with

Bugger mate, if you have enough pine I would double line it, will help with warping issues.

And some insulation on the inside, I have a full sheet here but I don’t think you are in my state ☹️

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Beer Baron said:

I finally got some hardwood today and I went to cut it and my saw blade is blunt so I’ll continue tomorrow. 

735CEC08-6F64-4464-B7AC-4923F1030759.jpeg

Looks good mate, why don’t you use the pine you originally bought and double line it by screwing the pine to the hardwood, so hardwood outside, pine inside.

Thats how I made mine, then insulation glued to the pine, there’s a photo of the insulation I used a couple of messages above.

Mines been going strong since Jan 2019, so 1 yr, no warping, no movement, no condensation on the hardwood etc 

47 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Looks good mate, why don’t you use the pine you originally bought and double line it by screwing the pine to the hardwood, so hardwood outside, pine inside.

Thats how I made mine, then insulation glued to the pine, there’s a photo of the insulation I used a couple of messages above.

Mines been going strong since Jan 2019, so 1 yr, no warping, no movement, no condensation on the hardwood etc 

I tossed the pine away in anger. I’ll just line the inside of the hardwood with that foil board and that should be good enough. 

• Haha 1