Coopers Community

My Keezer Build

Beer Baron

11 minutes ago, Beer Baron said:

Yeah it’s a dual regulator. I have it for spirit on tap or carbing higher for 24 hours

Ok, yeah same as my rig.

The only thing I’d be concerned about mate is there is no ventilation around your freezer, not sure what side your vent is on but that will need access to air flow, so a gap of 200-300mm at least.

Not wanting to poo poo your location of the freezer, but I’d hate for you to of spent $250  odd dollars then have your compressor burn out due to overheating ?

Just some food for thought 😃 RD 

Thanks for the tip 👍🏻 The garage is getting moved and cleaned tomorrow to make some room around the sides. 

When I can afford a sparky it will be getting moved to the other side of the garage to the new brew area an I will put a bench above the keezer and a new chest freezer fermentation chamber

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

No one like a show off BB.  Looks bloody great.  And they are pretty easy to it out don't you think.  Making the collar would have been the hardest part. 

Definitely not showing off. I was doing the thread just in case it might help people. 

With the right tools and YouTube anything is possible ha ha

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beer Baron said:

Condensation covers the entire outside of my collar for some reason. Surely it wouldn’t be coming from inside would it??

It’s raining a fair bit today so maybe just the weather??

Ye the colloar is cold and the air outside is humid so it condenses on the wood and fors droplets

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beer Baron said:

Condensation covers the entire outside of my collar for some reason. Surely it wouldn’t be coming from inside would it??

It’s raining a fair bit today so maybe just the weather??

4AE57E73-E9D5-4F2B-B5DE-FFD169E6F2EA.jpeg

Looks good BB, agree with Marty about condensation. For extra insulation you could go with that insulating panel I used on the inside of mine, stopping the cold air on the timber collar, I never have condensation on my collar since I lined it with that stuff, about $15 from Bunnings from memory.

cheers RD 🍺

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beer Baron said:

Yeah the foil board is definitely on my list. I just need a day off that comes with motivation ha ha ha

I know a cheapper and way.  Go and get some polystyrene muchroom boxes and slice those to ize using a stanley knife and glue or screw onto the inside of the collar can use several layers and do it all for bugger all.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Soz I got into this conversation late.

The answer has already been provided. Insulate the timber from the inside of the freezer to stop the outside condensation.

If you don't it will ruin the timber & have it split & warp at some point.

Nice looking tap setup though Baron. 😎

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2019 at 5:39 PM, Beerlust said:

Hi BB.

I have the exact same freezer I use for my kegs. If you're gonna make a collar & go the whole tap thing then make sure your collar is wide enough to allow for an extra keg on the compressor hump inside.

Insidekeezer.jpg

I initially purchased some bronco picnic taps to save a bit of coin with plans to build a collar & install external taps, but they worked so well being housed completely within the freezer, I never bothered to upgrade. No first pour frothy beer issues at all that are caused by heat from external taps/fonts. Also I drink & brew with a routine that has never required a third keg spot placement, & the extra space comes in handy for all sorts of other things I don't need to find space for in the main fridge of the house.

Everyone is different of course.

Cheers & best of luck with the planned build.

Lusty.

Hi Lusty , wanting to get into kegging myself and  have been reading this thread with interest ,some clever guys here and with yourself and Red Devil saying how much better the keezers  are i am hoping to this way also . However your set up  appears to be the best option for what i am looking for. Simple and as you say very effective as i have no need for fonts, fancy taps etc.  As there is not an LHBS in my area i have to order online. A couple of questions , is the line from your co2 cylinder flexible tube with push on fittings to the kegs with clamps and what is the ID ? Also the tee piece is that compression fitting or push on ? Hoping i can obtain these from Keg King as im not sure Bunnings would sell this ? 

Cheers for the help past and present

Buko

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Buko said:

Hoping i can obtain these from Keg King as im not sure Bunnings would sell this ? 

Cheaky Peak brewery in Vic have good "set up kits" with all the gear from taps to gas manifolds in packs ready for purchase. I bought my 3 tap kit from them and it has everything you need, both beer and gas lines, clamps, taps, disconnects (although they are crap cheap ones and I replaced them with CBM disconnects) taps shanks the works for about $120.00. I used their eBay shop as the freight was free. Bought it all on-line and turned up in QLD a few days later.   For my way of thinking it is the best way to go. Down the track if you want to you can up grade the taps but the ones in the kit are fine and do the job.  Setting up the kit is pretty easy if you are handy and logical.  Took me about an hour in my 1st keg fridge and less when I set up my second.   If you use a manifold colour code the lines with some coloured tape so you now which line goes to which keg and which gas line goes to where on the manifold.    

• Like 1

Hi Buko.

7 hours ago, Buko said:

Hi Lusty , wanting to get into kegging myself and  have been reading this thread with interest ,some clever guys here and with yourself and Red Devil saying how much better the keezers  are i am hoping to this way also . However your set up  appears to be the best option for what i am looking for. Simple and as you say very effective as i have no need for fonts, fancy taps etc.  As there is not an LHBS in my area i have to order online. A couple of questions , is the line from your co2 cylinder flexible tube with push on fittings to the kegs with clamps and what is the ID ? Also the tee piece is that compression fitting or push on ? Hoping i can obtain these from Keg King as im not sure Bunnings would sell this ? 

Cheers for the help past and present

Buko

The gas-in line I use is 5mm ID (Inner Diameter) x 8mm OD (Outer Diameter) commonly used with JG (John Guest) push in fittings. It's a hard, fairly inflexible plastic & will require you to heat the ends to get them over the barb-type keg disconnects. The beer-out line is the same ID but is a very flexible line (silicon based I think?) that is a good 2 metres in length on each keg. Ideal for pouring from.

For the keg disconnects you can either go for a barbed version requiring a small crush clamp, or a screw in version. The choice is really up to you.

I hope that helps & best of luck with your move to kegging. 🙂

Lusty.

13 hours ago, Beer Baron said:

I lined the keezer with insulation today. It came out pretty good. All I have left now is to get a custom bar runner and I also need some strong magnets to hold my drip tray on the front. 

Nice job Beer Baron. It looks nice and neat.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Beer Baron said:

I lined the keezer with insulation today. It came out pretty good. All I have left now is to get a custom bar runner and I also need some strong magnets to hold my drip tray on the front. 

FEB93A71-D0CA-410C-BC40-16A9E80CBEE1.jpeg

Looks unreal mate. Well done.

I am quite jealous. I've been trying to track down a cheap freezer for a few months with no luck.

Edited by Popo
  • Thanks 1