Coopers Community

My Keezer Build

Beer Baron

My kegerator broke so it was time to get something else to pour beer from. 
I was looking at a chest freezer last night while at work and I decided on a Hisense 205L chest freezer that I will convert into a keezer. Last night it was $399 and when I got up I went straight to Harvey Norman and went to purchase 1 and to my surprise they were on special for $277. 

Money is tight and this will be a long build but I will document my journey for those who are interested. 

The plan is to build a quality collar and mount my 4 existing taps on the collar because my gas bottle is too tall to fit in the keezer as it. 

The other option is to put the gas outside and mount a 4 tap font on top. 

Upgrades to my bar (garage) will happen in the next 12 months so hopefully I will get some type of wooden feature wall behind the keezer. 

Feel free to express opinions and advise  

Beer Baron👍🏻

5ABD8F5B-8FBB-447F-A705-C48C50F1331A.jpeg

40D67952-6827-45AB-A17D-770AB6274D73.jpeg

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, Beer Baron said:

I will document my journey for those who are interested. 

Beauty 👍

Unfortunately, no advice to give but will follow with interest. I've been thinking of making something similar. I've got all the kegging gear just nowhere to put it. Hopefully a summer project here too.

What's your preference: collar or font?

2 minutes ago, Popo said:

What's your preference: collar or font?

I like both so I’m not sure yet. My young bloke might pull the taps if I do the collar but it’s much cheaper. The fonts look better but require more and they need to be cooled. 

It’s a tough decision but I want to do this right so I don’t mind spending a bit more. 

49 minutes ago, Pickles Jones said:

You got that Freezer at a good price they have a RRP of $599. Harvey Norman are sold out and I am not surprised .

I like the manual temperature control should be easy to combine with an Ink Bird.

The Inkbird is hooked up now!!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

One thing I'd do is put it somewhere where the sides aren't hard up against anything, unless that doesn't apply to chest freezers. I know with kegerators and other fridges that it stuffs their chilling capabilities if the sides aren't clear and  ventilated. 

I will make a bit of space on the sides. When it gets moved I’ll have a bench next to it and that will be my brewing bench

1 hour ago, Beer Baron said:

My kegerator broke so it was time to get something else to pour beer from. 
I was looking at a chest freezer last night while at work and I decided on a Hisense 205L chest freezer that I will convert into a keezer. Last night it was $399 and when I got up I went straight to Harvey Norman and went to purchase 1 and to my surprise they were on special for $277. 

Money is tight and this will be a long build but I will document my journey for those who are interested. 

The plan is to build a quality collar and mount my 4 existing taps on the collar because my gas bottle is too tall to fit in the keezer as it. 

The other option is to put the gas outside and mount a 4 tap font on top. 

Upgrades to my bar (garage) will happen in the next 12 months so hopefully I will get some type of wooden feature wall behind the keezer. 

Feel free to express opinions and advise  

Beer Baron👍🏻

5ABD8F5B-8FBB-447F-A705-C48C50F1331A.jpeg

40D67952-6827-45AB-A17D-770AB6274D73.jpeg

Hey BB, I built my 4 tap keezer using a 205L chest freezer, if you go to the Showing Your Current Brew Set Up thread there are some pics of mine and others on there. Happy to assist or answer any questions you may have during your build, cheers and have fun building 🍺🍺

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

One thing I'd do is put it somewhere where the sides aren't hard up against anything, unless that doesn't apply to chest freezers. I know with kegerators and other fridges that it stuffs their chilling capabilities if the sides aren't clear and  ventilated. 

I built my frame around my air intake on my keezer, works great.

0DF1D39A-0E95-4A31-B271-40B59A2E6EAD.jpeg

Planning to move to a larger home next yr, there’s a few things the new place must have, here’s the blueprint so far 

1. Must have the facilities & space for a man cave.

2. Must have space for all my tools.

3. Able to store the keezer.

3. And enough space to build a keezer MK2 🤣🤣

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

I built my frame around my air intake on my keezer, works great.

0DF1D39A-0E95-4A31-B271-40B59A2E6EAD.jpeg

Mine's in a bar but also has room around it and a small fan blowing air behind it and out one side, so the heat created can escape. The side the fan is on has a pretty wide area between the fridge and the cavity wall, the other side is closer but far enough away still. Originally it was hard up against the wall on that narrow side and it just didn't work. I only left it there for a few hours though before I moved it away from the wall about 3-4 inches. Chilled fine after that until it decided it wasn't gonna chill the beer properly anymore a few months ago. Replaced it and all good again. 

• Like 1

I was pretty wary of ventilation on my build, haven’t had any trouble so far ( touches wood ) and it’s been running since March this yr. But yeah can’t stress enough you need decent ventilation or you’ll just burn the compressor out. I picked a 2nd hand Fisher & Paykel, so that if I have to replace it at some stage it’s a fairly popular easy brand to buy new or 2nd hand, rather than some dodgy brand name that I’ve never heard of made in the Faroe Islands or somewhere 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

Personally i'd go with a taller collar and have taps mounted in collar , main reason being that it near eliminates the need for a chilled font ( pump or fan ) .

Biggest downsides is a fairly low serving height for taller people and kidlets may be able to reach taps .

i built up a 4 tap top font keezer for a friend with young kids , used a false floor over a 40 mm PVC pipe glycol loop for chilling with a cheap bunnings pond pump to chill font , takes 3 mins to get font properly cold .

Good luck with your build  

Build a timber collar, & have your gas cylinder outside. I have a kegerator with extended fonts, have a fan up the font, extended beer lines, still get 3/4 glass of foam.

Built a keezer, Timber collar, taps into the collar, foaming problem solved. 
Kegerator vs Keezer, Keezer by a country mile, just my opinion 🍺🍺😃

13 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Could be a beer line length issue. I have the kegerator with the font on top and don't get much excessive foaming other than when the kegs are nearly empty for some reason. It is set at zero though. 

I’ve tried 3m long, 2.5m & 2m, have the same problem every time, temp at 2 degrees 🤷‍♂️ Should I lower the temp to 0 maybe ?

I think the ones in my keezer are 2m long, work great.

I did an experiment, gassed up a keg, poured from my Kegerator, foam.

Transferred the same keg to my keezer, no foam, poured great, that’s where I’m left scratching my head ? 

I know other guys with Kegerators that don’t have any issues, but mine has been a pain in the a##e since I got it 🤷‍♂️

10 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

I’ve tried 3m long, 2.5m & 2m, have the same problem every time, temp at 2 degrees 🤷‍♂️ Should I lower the temp to 0 maybe ?

I think the ones in my keezer are 2m long, work great.

I did an experiment, gassed up a keg, poured from my Kegerator, foam.

Transferred the same keg to my keezer, no foam, poured great, that’s where I’m left scratching my head ? 

I know other guys with Kegerators that don’t have any issues, but mine has been a pain in the a##e since I got it 🤷‍♂️

Maybe an issue with the taps? Could be some roughness inside causing turbulence. Maybe the font fan isn't working very well. I cut the conduit on mine and it just pokes in the bottom of the font, blowing cold air up into it. I remember reading or hearing some instructions at some point to stick it as far up as possible but that doesn't really work.

You could try lowering the kegerator to zero and see if it makes any difference. The colder the beer is the harder it is for the gas to come out of solution.

8 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Maybe an issue with the taps? Could be some roughness inside causing turbulence. Maybe the font fan isn't working very well. I cut the conduit on mine and it just pokes in the bottom of the font, blowing cold air up into it. I remember reading or hearing some instructions at some point to stick it as far up as possible but that doesn't really work.

You could try lowering the kegerator to zero and see if it makes any difference. The colder the beer is the harder it is for the gas to come out of solution.

Yeah my conduit is up as far up as it goes, I’ll take your advice and pull the conduit back so it’s down the bottom of the font, and drop the temp to Zero.

Ive tried swapping taps over, didn’t make any difference, I think it’s a temperature issue but I’ll just keep changing & eliminating things until I find the problem.

I will hook the keg up after lunch and pull a schooner, take a pic & let you know how it turned out, cheers for the help mate 🍺🍺😃

• Like 1