Coopers Community

First Brew Woes and Questions

Journeyman

OK, just done bottling - ended up with 27 PET bottles and 6 Coopers stubbies filled. (stubbies so I can give it a try at 2 weeks an not maybe waste a full bottle if it isn't ready) 

Beer looked pretty clear going into the bottles. Until I get the fridge (couple of days) and the temp controller, they're in a large plastic tub, folded blanket on top that fills the area above them and a couple of frozen water bottles in there to keep them cool. I'll change them as needed.

Washed out the FV and equipment but didn't bother with sterilising as I will wash and do that for the next brew as I have actual long necks for that brew. I thought the PET make sense in case this go BOOM! in the night - easier to mop than find all the scattered glass bits. 😄

Now I wait...

Impatiently...

I smell like beer...

Can I try it now? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Why are you cooling the bottles? 

We're heading into hot weather so I want to keep them under 20° until I can get them into temp control. Just from the time I got up until they were bottled the temp in the man cave had gone from 18 to 22 - I doubt the ice bottles are going to drop the temp all that much but they should stop it rising to match the room temps.

Fridge hopefully tomorrow and temp controller is on it's way from Sydney.

16 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

We're heading into hot weather so I want to keep them under 20° until I can get them into temp control. Just from the time I got up until they were bottled the temp in the man cave had gone from 18 to 22 - I doubt the ice bottles are going to drop the temp all that much but they should stop it rising to match the room temps.

Fridge hopefully tomorrow and temp controller is on it's way from Sydney.

Once primary fermentation is done, I don't worry about temp control anymore. My bottles sit in a plastic cupboard I picked up in Aldi a while ago and they're perfectly happy in there. Ambient in the room is currently somewhere around 20-24 depending on the time of day but will go up to the high 20s/low 30s come summer. Haven't had any go off yet. I find bottle conditioning is faster when the beer is stored warmer. In summer, most beers are fully carbonated after a week or two, in Winter, it can take 4-6 weeks. The only thing I make sure is that there is no sunlight getting to the bottles.

I have a 2nd Inkbird on the way as well. Gonna fix up the old kitchen fridge on the w/e 🙂 

Edited by Aussiekraut
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

According to AusPost my temp controller is to be delivered today - but I guess we all know how much their service has improved since their prices went through the roof.  /sarc

***Waits for the second text saying that the delivery has been delayed 😁

• Haha 1

And this is AFTER they raised all the prices to where it's MUCH cheaper and more reliable to use Officeworks to send stuff.

I thought economics said, if you're not making a decent profit, REDUCE your prices to increase your customers, NOT increase your prices to send them elsewhere.

I got a text from Aus Post last with asking me to respond with one of the following options:

1. Someone will be home
2. If no one is home, take it to the post office

Given the options available, I didn't think a response was actually necessary.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

If it's anything like a parcel I'm waiting for it might be another week. 

It came from Melbourne to Redbank plains which is about 10 minutes away, then it went to Darwin and back to Redbank. It's meant to arrive today but I'm not holding my breath. Absolute idiots. 

Yeah they tend to do that. Best was a parcel from Calamvale, just up the road from me, lodged at my local post office in Browns Plains, a hefty 3km away. The parcel was then sent to Heathwood, then to Underwood, then came back to Browns Plains, from where it was delivered to me, about a week after it was posted. Really AusPost? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Journeyman said:

And this is AFTER they raised all the prices to where it's MUCH cheaper and more reliable to use Officeworks to send stuff.

I thought economics said, if you're not making a decent profit, REDUCE your prices to increase your customers, NOT increase your prices to send them elsewhere.

And now they have the audacity to ask for an increase in postage because people aren't sending as much mail as they used to. I wonder why that might be...

• Like 1

Every couple of years when I buy sunnies, I get them from an Italian site, who seem to be part of Luxxotica, who own most of the big brands.

Not only are the prices good, but when the product is in stock, it's shipped same or next day (depending on the time there).

Once on its way, I can track it from airport to airport. It's quite fun to do it, as the efficiency is magical by Aus standards. You see it land at Charles De Gaulle a day after it's shipped, then a few hours later it's on the next flight to Singers. Once it hits Singers, I know I will get it next day, as the courier will get it on-board as soon as it's cleared the airport.

I get stuff 3-4 days from ordering, and shipping is included! This is FedEx, they are a machine.

Compare that with buying/sending something in Oz, and watching them pathetically struggle to get it from one side of the country to the other inside 2 weeks.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lab Rat said:

Compare that with buying/sending something in Oz, and watching them pathetically struggle to get it from one side of the country to the other inside 2 weeks.

I once went to the PO to send two parcels. One to the inlaws in Tassie, one to my mum in Germany. Guess who got theirs first.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

I once went to the PO to send two parcels. One to the inlaws in Tassie, one to my mum in Germany. Guess who got theirs first.

To be fair, one was only being sent to Europe, the other was being sent back in time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

19 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I hate that text, because the answer depends on what time they turn up so I never really know what to reply with. 

Not a lot of point them putting in a time as they never manage that either. 

Remind me again why the AusPost CEO is getting $5 million p.a.?

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

I sent a parcel to a lace near Brisvegas - about 100 kms out. It went to a place about 20 kms from the destination, sat their for 2 weeks, then came back to Ballarat (I live in Bendigo) then when I put in a claim for the insurance, they sent it to the right place.

2 hours ago, Journeyman said:

Not a lot of point them putting in a time as they never manage that either. 

Remind me again why the AusPost CEO is getting $5 million p.a.?

They usually don't, but because of my work shifts I'm home during the day, it's just that depending on the shift itself the time of day I am home varies. Sometimes I'm back at 9:30 and gone at 12 or 1, other times I'm home at 11 or 12 and leaving again at 3 or 4 in the arvo. Or anything in between.