Coopers Community

Flanders Red

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2022 at 5:44 PM, beach_life said:

@stquinto have a read through this thread.

And here are my FV's for the sours, just sitting in the lounge room looking all shiny.

PXL_20220128_093500996.thumb.jpg.4051d9723561143561fcead15267a024.jpg

Is the closest Fermenter the mangrove Jack one I am seriously thinking of getting one of those and trying a Flanders also tossing up whether to go the glass demijohn thoughts?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, beach_life said:

Yes, I tried the glass and they are messy - I don't like using a siphon

Do you think I could achieve this style in Perth without temp control as it’s warm now but then very cold in winter didn’t really want to have it inside I would have it in a cupboard in the shed. I was going to use roeselare and do you recommend this recipe?8B330687-EEF2-452C-9BD3-257E32D0F441.thumb.png.56524999453b390bcc976fcc033be4fb.png

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RDT2 said:

without temp control

I think it will work, I mean it gets cool here, we have 10c at night in the dry and well hot in the wet season.
I have enjoyed all my recipes, I think I did that one after reading something about the traditional grain bill being vienna and munich - the other grains were for colour adjustment.
Roeselare is good, just repitch straight away as the balance of yeast and bacteria changes and I think it is good. Wyeast say not to but research says it gets more sour and my own experience suggest more interesting

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, beach_life said:

I think it will work, I mean it gets cool here, we have 10c at night in the dry and well hot in the wet season.
I have enjoyed all my recipes, I think I did that one after reading something about the traditional grain bill being vienna and munich - the other grains were for colour adjustment.
Roeselare is good, just repitch straight away as the balance of yeast and bacteria changes and I think it is good. Wyeast say not to but research says it gets more sour and my own experience suggest more interesting

Thanks mate appreciate the help did you just pitch Roesie first or use another yeast first? 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RDT2 said:

Do you think I could achieve this style in Perth without temp control as it’s warm now but then very cold in winter didn’t really want to have it inside I would have it in a cupboard in the shed. I was going to use roeselare and do you recommend this recipe?8B330687-EEF2-452C-9BD3-257E32D0F441.thumb.png.56524999453b390bcc976fcc033be4fb.png

Mine go fine in sydney which is cooler than Perth. I probably wouldn't start it in the dead of winter but if you start it in the next couple of months you would be fine. Put it in a corner and forget about it for 6 to 9 months. What type of fermenter you going to use?

Edited by Greenyinthewestofsydney
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Mine go fine in sydney which is cooler than Perth. I probably wouldn't start it in the dead of winter but if you start it in the next couple of months you would be fine. Put it in a corner and forget about it for 6 to 9 months. What type of fermenter you going to use?

Thanks I have one of the bucket buddy’s ss!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beach_life said:

Nah, just the Roeselare. It has sacc in it

Thanks I was reading all different ways, and thought it was a blend for that reason! I hopefully will have a brew day today if not in the next couple of weeks! 

• Like 1

On 3/10/2023 at 11:01 PM, RDT2 said:

Is the closest Fermenter the mangrove Jack one I am seriously thinking of getting one of those and trying a Flanders also tossing up whether to go the glass demijohn thoughts?

Got myself the Mangrove Jack one a while ago, love it. took me a while to find one as the tap and the prices fluctuated and most places where sold out. It is easy to clean and does not keep the smell like the plastic ones

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RDT2 said:

@Greenyinthewestofsydneyor @beach_lifeWill 1059OG be okay for one pack maybe lower depending on my efficiency???

Only thing is the ABV from a start of 1059 is likely to be 7.5%. If your bottling with the priming sugar it will go 8% as these typically finish 1002 to 1000 ish. As @beach_lifesays if the saccharomyces craps out early the brettanomyces and pediococcus will clean up the rest. Only other point I will make is you can manipulate the flavours with your mash temp. I.e a 65c mash would give you a more fermentable wort for the sacc and less for brett and the Pediococcus. A 69c or 70c mash would give you a more sour bretty type beer as the sacc would stop earlier. Just something for you to think about. You can also add maltodextrin as the sacc can't eat it but the bugs can. Just something for you to think about.

Edited by Greenyinthewestofsydney
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well brew day went really well with this beer  hit my numbers exactly, colour looked amazing and then I couldn’t get the lid to seal on the bucket buddy. The silicon gasket kept slipping out and falling into the wort. I tried everything holding the lid down flat and lube and more lube nothing would work! To say I was furious would be an understatement. I ended up chucking it in my cheap plastic brew bucket. I will probably take the bucket buddy back tomorrow unless someone can tell me I’ve done something wrong. I did sanitise the lid I don’t know if it was cause it was wet from sanitiser???

So now I have a beautiful Flanders in a 25 dollar plastic fermenter will that be an issue. Don’t care if I have to chuck it afterwards. Maybe I will try the mangrove ss fermenter would you transfer it to that if I did? Would you make another one and see how this one’s goes in the plastic and put the new one in the ss or just use a glass carboy/demijohn???@Greenyinthewestofsydney @beach_life

Hope I haven’t contaminated it stuffing around with it??? 

A2227FA8-B2B1-437F-BD70-93765ABBAE41.jpeg

26A5CDB5-C651-499B-B762-35DF6C67E55D.jpeg

31099A01-B179-4822-A365-7EB463A036FC.jpeg

A64F5C13-B2B3-49BA-A8DC-76ECD4229908.jpeg

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, RDT2 said:

Well brew day went really well with this beer  hit my numbers exactly, colour looked amazing and then I couldn’t get the lid to seal on the bucket buddy. The silicon gasket kept slipping out and falling into the wort. I tried everything holding the lid down flat and lube and more lube nothing would work! To say I was furious would be an understatement. I ended up chucking it in my cheap plastic brew bucket. I will probably take the bucket buddy back tomorrow unless someone can tell me I’ve done something wrong. I did sanitise the lid I don’t know if it was cause it was wet from sanitiser???

So now I have a beautiful Flanders in a 25 dollar plastic fermenter will that be an issue. Don’t care if I have to chuck it afterwards. Maybe I will try the mangrove ss fermenter would you transfer it to that if I did? Would you make another one and see how this one’s goes in the plastic and put the new one in the ss or just use a glass carboy/demijohn???@Greenyinthewestofsydney @beach_life

Hope I haven’t contaminated it stuffing around with it??? 

A2227FA8-B2B1-437F-BD70-93765ABBAE41.jpeg

26A5CDB5-C651-499B-B762-35DF6C67E55D.jpeg

31099A01-B179-4822-A365-7EB463A036FC.jpeg

A64F5C13-B2B3-49BA-A8DC-76ECD4229908.jpeg

Plastic isn't the best to do long term ferments. Reason being is plastic is permeable so over time it will let oxygen in. Oxygen plus ethanol will give you acetic acid/vinegar. Usually this doesn't matter for normal ferments as it's out of the fermenter in a couple of weeks but over 6 to 9 months you will get dome acetic acid. You could certainly transfer it back to the stainless steel fermenter after a week or two and there would not be a problem. As for the plastic fermenter I wouldn't use it again for normal sacc ferments. Use it as a bottling bucket for your Flanders when it's ready.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Plastic isn't the best to do long term ferments. Reason being is plastic is permeable so over time it will let oxygen in. Oxygen plus ethanol will give you acetic acid/vinegar. Usually this doesn't matter for normal ferments as it's out of the fermenter in a couple of weeks but over 6 to 9 months you will get dome acetic acid. You could certainly transfer it back to the stainless steel fermenter after a week or two and there would not be a problem. As for the plastic fermenter I wouldn't use it again for normal sacc ferments. Use it as a bottling bucket for your Flanders when it's ready.

Cheers mate I have done some research on the seals for ss fermenters hopefully I’ve seated it wrong, now I have to go to work will have a look this arvo and hopefully can fix it.

• Like 2

On 3/13/2023 at 1:24 PM, beach_life said:

Do it - extra oxygen this early won't hurt

Red Ned Flanders is in his new home! Changed to a Mangrove Jack fermenter my homebrew store were awesome and changed it without question! No leaks  thank truck for that Sunday was so stressful glad that’s done ✅

Only another 5 months and 27 days to go! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

Red Ned Flanders is in his new home! Changed to a Mangrove Jack fermenter my homebrew store were awesome and changed it without question! No leaks  thank truck for that Sunday was so stressful glad that’s done ✅

Only another 5 months and 27 days to go! 

Wahooooo!

Never been so happy to see an airlock bubble 🤣

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2022 at 5:44 PM, beach_life said:

@stquinto have a read through this thread.

And here are my FV's for the sours, just sitting in the lounge room looking all shiny.

PXL_20220128_093500996.thumb.jpg.4051d9723561143561fcead15267a024.jpg

Hey @beach_life we’re the same! Can’t believe it picked up this ss brewtech fermenter for $150 today it’s brand new. I wanted another one for my Flanders as I wanted to make another one so I don’t have to wait 6 months for another batch! So in a couple of months I will put another one down! Only another 5 months and 12 days and 12hours and ten minutes and 35 seconds until my first one is ready hopefully fingers crossed 🤞 

3E99E37C-D8EE-47C4-8A23-324A5182B370.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

• 3 months later...

Took a sample yesterday morning of my flanders which was brewed in November. Nice flanders taste but a bit too much on the sour side and when I took the pH it was 3.1. Don't want it getting any more sour so bottled it off. I brewed another today after taking some of the trub and giving the carboy a clean. Mashed at 70c for this one. About 20L into the fermenter at 1054 OG. I have tried to rebalance the yeast a bit so put in a quarter of the trub. Some brett yeast I had in a jar and a bit of 34/70 yeast as well. See how it goes.

Screenshot_20230702_222039_BeerSmith 3.jpg

Screenshot_20230702_222053_BeerSmith 3.jpg

• Like 4