Coopers Community

Flanders Red

https://cheers.rodenbach.be/en

I had a bottle of the Vintage 2015 for Christmas and it is seriously the most amazing beer I have ever had.
I have made and drunk one, have another in the FV and another ready o go in the cube.

My first recipe was e=really good although undercarbed.

Brewer: Grumpy 
Style: Flanders Red Ale

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 30.1 EBC
Estimated IBU: 16.6 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.50 kg          Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC)                 Grain         1          64.5 %        2.28 L        
1.50 kg          Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                Grain         2          27.6 %        0.98 L        
0.20 kg          CHÂTEAU CARA RUBY® (50.0 EBC)                    Grain         3          3.7 %         0.13 L        
0.20 kg          Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC)                Grain         4          3.7 %         0.13 L        
0.03 kg          Roasted Malt (Joe White) (1199.7 EBC)            Grain         5          0.6 %         0.02 L        
20.00 g          Northern Brewer [7.70 %] - First Wort 60.0 min   Hop           6          16.6 IBUs     -             
1.0 pkg          Belgian Lambic Blend (Wyeast Labs #3278) [124.21 Yeast         7          -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 4

I did some reading on this the day after I tried the Rodenback Grand Cru.  This article from BYO was particularly useful: https://byo.com/article/flanders-red-ale/

My plan is to get a 23L glass demijohn because I read the plastic FVs will let in too much oxygen for a ferment that will last 12+ months.  IT's about $59 from one of my local brew shops in Sydney.  Will use the Wyeast Roeslare blend.  I'll have to research when I will add an oak spiral as I want to try adding oak to this beer since I can't age it in an oak barrel.

I also read that an oak barrel will let in just the right amount of oxygen and this can be replicated with an wooden bung that is porous and will let in the smallest amount of O2.

@Ben 10 I read a lot about the mastery of blending Flanders Red Ales.  New beer + old beer in different ratios to get that perfect flavour and that is an art in itself.  Are you planning to blend at some stage or is a single brew and ferment complex enough for you?

@joolbag I too have read about beldning and I don't think that is for me. Way too much volume required for that stuff.
As for a 12 month ferment in plastic? Who knows, the first wasn't that long and either is this one due to be packaged this week, or next week, or sometime.

Looks good mate.  I just scoured the GABS app and found at least a couple of Flanders Sour Ales on exhibit!  Not the festival beers, but at the brewerry stands..

Looking forward to it and better get to bed!

Jools

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Poured this 

Recipe: Flanders IV
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.059 SG
Estimated Color: 31.1 EBC
Estimated IBU: 14.4 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
2.50 kg          Munich, Light (Joe White) (17.7 EBC)             Grain         1          47.3 %        1.63 L        
2.50 kg          Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                Grain         2          47.3 %        1.63 L        
0.25 kg          Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC)                Grain         3          4.7 %         0.16 L        
0.03 kg          Carafa III (Weyermann) (1034.2 EBC)              Grain         4          0.6 %         0.02 L        
30.00 g          Styrian Goldings [4.60 %] - Boil 60.0 min        Hop           5          14.4 IBUs     -             

into this

IMG_20191021_081004.thumb.jpg.d0c62b499a9ac5227bb2bf3f64db6170.jpg

after bottling this

Recipe: Flanders III

Recipe Specifications

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 32.2 EBC
Estimated IBU: 11.6 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
3.50 kg          Coopers Pale Malt (4.2 EBC)                      Grain         1          63.9 %        2.28 L        
1.00 kg          Coopers Pale Malt (4.2 EBC)                      Grain         2          18.2 %        0.65 L        
0.50 kg          Amber (100.0 EBC)                                Grain         3          9.1 %         0.33 L        
0.25 kg          Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC)                Grain         4          4.6 %         0.16 L        
0.20 kg          Light Crystal (50.0 EBC)                         Grain         5          3.6 %         0.13 L        
0.03 kg          Roasted Malt (Joe White) (1199.7 EBC)            Grain         6          0.5 %         0.02 L        
5.00 g           Enigma [15.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min                 Hop           7          7.8 IBUs      -             
5.00 g           Wakatu (Hallertau Aroma) [7.70 %] - Boil 60.0 mi Hop           8          3.8 IBUs      -             
1.0 pkg          Belgian Lambic Blend (Wyeast Labs #3278) [124.21 Yeast         9          -             -             

The above fermented for 5 months.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

OMFG this beer is so good.

Possibly 7%.

Bulk primed with 300g dex for fizzyness.

Aroma: funk, sour, wine, sherry

Taste: initially sour, astringent, clearing to fruity, berry, wine like.... finishing sour...

Blown away. Anyone who likes a Flanders should make one. Or two. Or more. Oh so easy. Autolysis is not an issue. In fact I understand it helps the beer finish dry. Be interested to see how many times I can just keep using the same manky fermenter for this.

• Like 6

Dude, all I can say is that is dope. It looks amazing and sounds like it is awesome. Super cool that you are using the same "manky" unwashed fermenter to do all this in. Sounds like the perfect beer for me, ferment, brew, bottle and then dump just cycling away.

5 hours ago, Norris! said:

Ah, you mean in the kettle.

No!!!!! Everywhere!!!!!!!! Different shed, property even if you can ha ha

Brettanomyces will quite literally eat anything in your brewery. It’s been known to change the colour of beer over time. 
keep any beer you don’t want tasting slightly funky away from this stuff, it’s bacteria so a little different to yeast. 
id say if you don’t like your nephew, lock him in the cupboard with an open carboy with this stuff in it within a few hours the Brett would have eaten him too. Amazing stuff. 

Edited by The Captain!!
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, Norris! said:

So are you saying to only brew the Flanders in that fermenter and nothing else?

Yes. I transfer it to another for bottling, anything that come in contact gets hot water then bleach for 3 days. The transfer hose, the bottles it goes in, the LOT

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...