Coopers Community

Flanders Red

On 5/21/2020 at 12:05 AM, The Captain!! said:

Really envious mate

where the emoji for excitement 

@The Captain!! Say what! Am I reading you right.  Lagers are too much trouble you say but you want to have a crack at brewing a rambling on for 6 months Flanders red.

Must be some beer. 😁  Good luck bloke.

Cheers - AL

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

@The Captain!! Say what! Am I reading you right.  Lagers are too much trouble you say but you want to have a crack at brewing a rambling on for 6 months Flanders red.

Must be some beer. 😁  Good luck bloke.

Cheers - AL

Ha ha ha ha

Nah, lagers just taste like cr@p and I feel sick from them. The extra work is just to take the piss. 

11 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Lagers are too much trouble you say but you want to have a crack at brewing a rambling on for 6 months Flanders red.

Must be some beer. 

It really is not hard to brew, make it, throw it in the corner, remember 6 months later, then drink the best beer ever.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Will do. I love lambics and sours, so it didn't take much arm twisting to get me over the line. Old mate at Kuranda has the 23L glass carboys coming in soon. Something came up so I have to buzz off down south for a few weeks and will get onto it when I get back. 👍

If anyone else is looking for this yeast, give CraftBrewer in Brisbane a call.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Really looking forward to this one.

I'm excited for you and @Instigator.
From my research the first was supposed to be not sour enough and repitches were supposed to improve. The repitches have been stunning.
The first was very undercarbed in the bottle so the second one I bulk over-primed and it was perfect.

15 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

I'm excited for you and @Instigator.
From my research the first was supposed to be not sour enough and repitches were supposed to improve. The repitches have been stunning.
The first was very undercarbed in the bottle so the second one I bulk over-primed and it was perfect.

Cheers mate. I know I'm talking a few months in advance but what priming rate did you go?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/16/2020 at 6:32 PM, Greeny1525229549 said:

Yeah i figure Christmas might be the time. I am getting another glass fermenter when its near bottling. I want to split the yeast cake and have two on the go. 

So i took another sample yesterday. 4 months in. Gravity at 1.008 and ph 3.8. I can taste the sour more than last time but still way more funky than sour. Might struggle for a Xmas taster at this rate 😝

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Another sample and the ph hasn't moved. Stuck on 3.8 but the gravity is down to 1.002. Not sure where to go from here. The sample tastes quite nice but its all Brett and only a hint of sour. I think I went too high on the IBU and killed the lacto production.

What do you think @Ben 10? Where in gravity did yours finish? What do you think of just dropping in some phosphoric acid to drop the ph and bottle it up?

• 3 months later...
On 11/21/2020 at 4:08 PM, Greeny1525229549 said:

What do you think @Ben 10? Where in gravity did yours finish? What do you think of just dropping in some phosphoric acid to drop the ph and bottle it up?

Het @Greeny1525229549 sorry I missed this one.
How did it end up?

About to keg my last go from the Belgian Lambic blend. I'll brew another and throw it in with the Roselare.

5 hours ago, Green Blob said:

Het @Greeny1525229549 sorry I missed this one.
How did it end up?

About to keg my last go from the Belgian Lambic blend. I'll brew another and throw it in with the Roselare.

All good mate. I didn't muck around with it and bottled it. So I have a brett saison which to be honest is quite a nice beer. I have a bottle a week of it and it seems to change every week. Was very bretty at the start but has mellowed a bit. 

I didn't get much sour out of it because the yeast I used " sour batch kidz " doesn't like hops. So I split the yeast and pitched into two glass carboys with no hops. I added some hops when the ph hit 3.4. But now I have an issue that the gravity is 1.002 for both batches and the brett hasn't really come through.  I think sour batch isn't a good idea for flanders red. I really think it needs pedioccus for that long acting sour. 

• 2 months later...

So I am going to bottle up the two I have in the next couple of days. Been in the fermenter for about 5 months.

First two pics is batch 1. Gravity at 1.000 and pH of 3.4. A bit meh. Sour. A hint of brett only. Very dry. 

Second two pics is batch 2. Gravity at 1.000. Same pH at 3.4. This one tastes a little better. A little bit more brett coming through. Very dry as well. Curiously this one is much clearer compared to the other one despite being the same recipe and same yeast.

I was tossing up to ditch the yeasts and start over. But going to give one more go with sour batch kidz. Same recipe as before but 250gm maltodextrin in each and also mash higher than last time. 

20210515_203609.jpg

20210515_204512.jpg

20210515_204328.jpg

20210515_204530.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Bottled batch 1 on Sunday and dumped another batch in. Mashed this at 69c and added some maltodextrin as well to give the bugs more food. I didn't hop it yet. Will do that with a stove top boil 1 week in.

Took your advice @Green Blob and sucked out some trub of the existing batch a few weeks ago and made an unhopped starter.  Let it go for 2 weeks before cold crashing for a week. Really funny krausen on the starter and when I tasted it it tasted bretty so I think I grew the right stuff. Also told me there doesn't seem to be much lacto or sacch yeast left so I threw in some French saison slurry and 3 tablets of lacto plantarum with the starter of brett. Took off quick and bubbling away at 25c. Will take a test of ph this weekend then put in the hops to stop the lacto then it's in the corner for a few months.

The other batch I have put 250gm of maltodextrin for the bugs in and gonna leave it another 3 month's to get a rotation going.

Screenshot_20210622-094840_BeerSmith 3.jpg

Screenshot_20210622-094852_BeerSmith 3.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

A flanders red with the kitchen sink. Pitching 4 different yeast/ bacteria at this one. I cooled the batch to 40c and splashed it into the glass fermenter. 4 lacto plantarum tablets added. I'll let them get at the wort alone for 24 hours. Tomorrow I will pitch a culture of sour batch kids which will give me the brettanomyces. Also pitching my wild Wattle yeast as well as some leftover WY3787 westmalle yeast. Will check ph about day 4 and if it's down below 3.5 will do a stovetop boil with hops to stop the lacto. 

Screenshot_20210912-172824_BeerSmith 3.jpg

Screenshot_20210912-172834_BeerSmith 3.jpg

Screenshot_20210912-172840_BeerSmith 3.jpg

• Like 2