Coopers Community

Flanders Red

On 3/13/2023 at 8:21 AM, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Plastic isn't the best to do long term ferments. Reason being is plastic is permeable so over time it will let oxygen in. Oxygen plus ethanol will give you acetic acid/vinegar. Usually this doesn't matter for normal ferments as it's out of the fermenter in a couple of weeks but over 6 to 9 months you will get dome acetic acid. You could certainly transfer it back to the stainless steel fermenter after a week or two and there would not be a problem. As for the plastic fermenter I wouldn't use it again for normal sacc ferments. Use it as a bottling bucket for your Flanders when it's ready.

Could you dose it with some PMS to counteract the oxygen ingress?

3 minutes ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

I guess you could but never tried it during fermentation. Might have a google on that one.

Ah, right. It's a long ferment. I didn't quite gerry to that. It may not be such a good idea during fermentation. Apparently it's a pretty low dosage to counteract oxidization, though, less than 10PPM.

I've been wondering if it could be used to counteract oxidization if aging in PET (that's why it grabbed my attention). Any thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Did a check of my long term ferments last night including my latest flanders. About 3 and a half months in on this one. I was expecting the gravity to be lower but i did mash high on this one and i did start it in winter so thinking that might explain it. Anyway the sour is already there and a nice bretty taste as well. It should be ready for bottling in autumn sometime.20231013_204630.thumb.jpg.92093b7f6c14349c2cc9a3cfdc3547ea.jpg20231013_204752.thumb.jpg.05a0edbcee08164a1cc66a7b037e72dd.jpg

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

Brewed this Friday and will put on the cake of my original Flanders which has been nearly 12 months since i pitched the original batch!

IMG_6938.jpeg

IMG_2209.jpeg

IMG_6944.png

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Awesome mate. Bottling or kegging your previous batch?

Bottling mate any hints after 12 months in fermenter? Cheers 🍻 

Edited by RDT2

1 hour ago, RDT2 said:

Bottling mate any hints after 12 months in fermenter? Cheers 🍻 

If you didn't reseed the yeast expect to wait 2 months for full carbonation. Bottling is the way to go though IMO. You will see it further develop at ambient temps. Look forward to your posts on the tastings. It's a rewarding beer to brew. I like sours. Quick sours and lambics too but flanders reds are at the top of my list.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

If you didn't reseed the yeast expect to wait 2 months for full carbonation. Bottling is the way to go though IMO. You will see it further develop at ambient temps. Look forward to your posts on the tastings. It's a rewarding beer to brew. I like sours. Quick sours and lambics too but flanders reds are at the top of my list.

Thanks mate happy to wait 2months already  been 12months already😂

14 hours ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Just had a taste of a sample from the fermenter and it tastes amazing what a relief after waiting 12 months. It has a bit more sour now and is really nicely balanced! Just started the bottling process 😅

My Flanders has had pups😝 I have put a new batch on top of the yeast cake. Picture of the colour in a corona bottle which will be my first sampler in a couple of months😬 maybe or one month maybe 🤔 Can’t wait now! So paranoid about infecting my other beers but keeping everything separate! Did i say i can’t wait????

IMG_6949.jpeg

IMG_6950.jpeg

IMG_6951.jpeg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...