Coopers Community

Flanders Red

3 hours ago, disgruntled said:

Interestingly round about way for a rapid flanders....

Yeah mate. I don't have pedioccus in it so there is no long term sourness and plantarum craps out with the first smell of hops. I did this last time but pitched the sacc and brett at the same time. It didn't work too bad. I am pitching a lot of brett and a lot of wattle yeast in this one so hoping it all melds together nicely. Have ordered a roselare to go in the other fermenter. I'm looking to bottle that one shortly and put down another with the roselare which has the pedioccus in it.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Decided to sacrifice my oldest keg to the bugs and kegged off the batch I put down on June 22. Primed with 70gm of sugar and 70gm of maltodextrin to try and get the brett coming through a little more. I'll leave it in the keg for 2 or 3 months to condition it a little more. 

I threw out the sour batch kidz yeast and am starting new with WY3763 Roeselare. Hopefully gives a more authentic rodenbach like result. The SBK made decent beers but nothing to write home about.

Screenshot_20211122-210349_BeerSmith 3.jpg

Screenshot_20211122-210359_BeerSmith 3.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Decided to sacrifice my oldest keg to the bugs and kegged off the batch

I use various kegs for the flanders and the berliner and with a decent clean really don't have any issues.

And... I'm sure you'll like the roselare, keen to keg my next one but it's only been down for 4 months

• Like 2

3 hours ago, disgruntled said:

I use various kegs for the flanders and the berliner and with a decent clean really don't have any issues.

And... I'm sure you'll like the roselare, keen to keg my next one but it's only been down for 4 months

Yeah I googled and some say they just clean it normally and no problem. Others say they keep it separate because they have had issues. I am going to keep it separate. I have a 2 tap kegerator so this will be the 3rd keg with a party tap type setup

Yeah really looking forward to roselare. SBK doesn't have pediococcus in it so interested to see what sort of sour effect that brings to the party.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, disgruntled said:

The other one was plastic and did not have a tap, siphoning is difficult at best.

Yeah siphoning is a PITA with the carboys I agree. I put mine on a bench and I have a really long silicone hose as it's got to go up the glass fermenter then over and down all the way to the bottom of a bottling bucket on the floor so it's not splashing. About a 3m long hose

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, disgruntled said:

This one is the Flanders.
And yes, keg then dump on to the cake of yeast and bacteria.

Reminds me of last weekend when I did a brew.  Put the spent grains into a plastic bag for my neighbour to feed to his chooks.  The bag sprung a tiny leak.  A few days later, the wort that escaped had started spontaneously fermenting on the garage floor.  Promising! 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, disgruntled said:

Lol, and a tad harsh. 🙂

Sorry, I did not mean it that way.  Although I was probably being a bit cheeky.

I was a bit surprised to see the wort on the ground start to ferment.  I do not know if it was something on the concrete or something in the air.  

I am amazed and envious of you guys who brew beers like your Flanders and other long ferment brews.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Sorry, I did not mean it that way.  Although I was probably being a bit cheeky.

All good mate. 

The FV is proper disgusting, I'm surprised it works

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

They are easy enough to do @Shamus O'Sean. Just get yourself a fermenter preferably glass or a stainless one like Ben has. Simple mash.  Pitch a yeast blend and put it in a dark corner for about 6 months to a year. That's about all there is to them.

Stop it @Greenyinthewestofsydneyyour talking me into it? Do you keg yours or bottle? Forget my question just read @disgruntledhe kegs do you need to clean the lines or kegs any differently after drinking it or is it fine cause it is cold in the fridge unless you naturally carb I spose?

Edited by RDT2

7 hours ago, RDT2 said:

Forget my question just read @disgruntledhe kegs do you need to clean the lines or kegs any differently after drinking it or is it fine cause it is cold in the fridge unless you naturally carb I spose?

I'll use beer line cleaner for my Brett beers.

Not had an issue with infection even though Brett is the mother of all evil apparently.

I did bottle the first few flanderessessss

And yes, simple grain bill, next to no hops. Come back 6 months later, keg and repitch.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Bottled my flanders red made with the dodgy packet of Roeselare blend. The sour and brett came through nicely and at bottling date it's ph 3.4. Happy with the sample taste so it should be a nice beer when I try one in about a month. I decanted off about a third of the trub and will use that in a lambic attempt. 

Onto the rest of the trub I dropped a batch of this. Changed a little. Took 100grams off the wheat and added 70gms of special B. Hoping to get a little deeper red than last batch. Added K97 which caused some krausen issues but other than that all good.

See you in 6 months.

Screenshot_20220505-200659_BeerSmith 3.jpg

Screenshot_20220505-200709_BeerSmith 3.jpg

Edited by Greenyinthewestofsydney
  • Like 2

• 6 months later...
On 5/5/2022 at 8:23 PM, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Bottled my flanders red made with the dodgy packet of Roeselare blend. The sour and brett came through nicely and at bottling date it's ph 3.4. Happy with the sample taste so it should be a nice beer when I try one in about a month. I decanted off about a third of the trub and will use that in a lambic attempt. 

Onto the rest of the trub I dropped a batch of this. Changed a little. Took 100grams off the wheat and added 70gms of special B. Hoping to get a little deeper red than last batch. Added K97 which caused some krausen issues but other than that all good.

See you in 6 months.

Screenshot_20220505-200659_BeerSmith 3.jpg

Screenshot_20220505-200709_BeerSmith 3.jpg

Taste test of this last night. Very nice. I think this batch will be better than the 1st. Ph of 3.2 so it's really time to bottle. Brett through nicely and enough Brett taste not to be overpowered by the sour. Will get some of the speciality malt again tomorrow and bottle off the batch on Sunday while brewing another batch. Fast chill then drop it on to the trub and add a kit yeast packet to start it all off again.

For any of you guys out there who like sours I thoroughly recommend the long term sour. It's much more rounded than the quick ones.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...