Coopers Community

worry worts worst work

worry wort

2 weeks ago i wanted to make a particular type of beer but had the wrong grains and yeast. Working on the principle that ships are safe in the harbour, but thats not what ships are for, i took the plunge and made a brew based on the stuff I had, thinking what the hell, how bad can it be. Tonight I bottled it. Its the blackest beer I've ever seen, its so black it sucked light into the bottle with it as i filled them, its the black hole of home brew with an aroma of bitumen, cigar and a hint of either molasses or sarsparilla. I have been sampling it over the past week as i've taken SG readings and it actually taste not bad. If the bottles don't melt or split their seams under the pressure, i will let you know in about 3 weeks how its turned out. OG was 1048, FG 1014 for past 3 days so going by the database thing will be about 5% with the bottling sugar added.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I have a stout on tap a bit like that at the moment. Can't even see a bright led torch light through it.

i can hold the small sample i take for sg checks up to the sun and not see through it!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, worry wort said:

...Tonight I bottled it. Its the blackest beer I've ever seen, its so black it sucked light into the bottle with it as i filled them, its the black hole of home brew with an aroma of bitumen, cigar and a hint of either molasses or sarsparilla.

It's said when a Black Hole dies it becomes a star....so it should end up a star......hang on, I got that wrong, it's the other way around. 🙃

Sorry, your beer is doomed. 😋

Just kidding. Given how dark it is, give it some time to age & mellow before deciding whether it is any good or not.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

It's said when a Black Hole dies it becomes a star....so it should end up a star......hang on, I got that wrong, it's the other way around. 🙃

Sorry, your beer is doomed. 😋

Just kidding. Given how dark it is, give it some time to age & mellow before deciding whether it is any good or not.

Cheers,

Lusty.

hahaha, thanks for the build up! the samples I've tasted over the past week indicate it's going to be a very drinkable brew, i have tasted/made worse. but once i pour a glass, i will hold the glass up to the sun and take a pic, you can't see light through it, and couldnt even in those little tubes you use for the hydrometer! i agree it will be a long term brew, and I somehow think that i won't be having too many sessions on it, if the smell at this stage is like it is, well, i don't want it going through my system in large amounts, if you catch my drift....

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

well, here it is. 12 days in the bottle, time for a sampler. Black as black can be, but not a bad drink, will leave another week till bottle 2, but the strong aroma has now gone, and the beers is almost stout like but very drinkable. 

20190530_141515.jpg

Edited by worry wort
  • Like 7

38 minutes ago, Worthog said:

Side question; how can one get a white head on a black stout a la Guinness? 🤔

Cheers

I think it's to do with the nitro pour but don't quote me on it. My stout looks as black as the one above and the foam is almost brown. Lovely beer on a cold night though. 

I have noticed when I do the syringe pump nitro thing that the foam lightens in color though. 

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Worthog said:

Side question; how can one get a white head on a black stout a la Guinness? 🤔

Cheers

its not actually as white as it looks, but its a healthy tan colour. don't ask me how it happened, im not even sure how i made it lol

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I think it's to do with the nitro pour but don't quote me on it. My stout looks as black as the one above and the foam is almost brown. Lovely beer on a cold night though. 

yep, it taste like its going to be a winner over then next few weeks of cold nights. As an aside, it kept its head for the duration of the bottle, almost professional!

14 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

So many wrong things come to mind @Worthog

Just one wrong thing will do, Ben10.

12 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

I got virgin angels to pee a little bit on the flaked barley. Easy as.

Oh yeah, never thought of that one.🤪

Cheers

• Haha 1

Doesn't roasted barley lead to a mahogany head, and black patent to a white one? Either that or it is the other way around. 😜

Not sure what happens when you throw chocolate malt in the mix. In any case oatmeal stouts have a mahogany head; they are made usually made with a combo of roasted barley, chocolate malt, and a variety of crystal and other specialty malts.

Cheers,

Christina.

Edited by ChristinaS1
  • Thanks 1