Coopers Community

Water questions 2019

The Captain!!

Keeping it simple, your water as it is would suit malty styles. It may even need a small amount of sulphate added to tame the malt down a bit. For hoppy styles you'd need to add enough sulphate to get it even with or above the chloride content. 

If you wanted a clean and crisp lager it might not work as well, my experience has been that these styles work best with very soft water and a slightly higher sulphate to chloride ratio. I tried my pilsner with straight tap water and it was dull compared to the rest done with distilled water with small amounts of minerals added to it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

You never fail me to surprise me BB

Aaaah Paddy me ol' cobber - the hidden depths of the Burbler... well wadddyareggin if yer kiss the Blarney Stone... plenty of Blarney gotta come out! 😝

Maaaaaaate I know a bit of science on some of this stuff... but it's the practicality that counts... and on this site there is loads... and Kelsey's good basic rule of thumb stuff up above is pure gold - and just accumulated good brewing experience provides that.

I would say one small thing - and that is - just try your normal water - try the same brew with some spring/distilled or other low total soluble salts water - and see how you go.

Same as what Kelsey has done and reports on above - tap water (dirty old Brisbane water 👺) does nothing good for the crisp Pils style... makes perfect sense to me... 

So just try different waters w your different beers... but I go with Kelsey that in general - the ales and stouts etc go with water with some Calc etc in it total soluble salts etc...

My first brew book Laurie Strachan said the Burton-on-Trent Ale styles needed that calc and carbonate... and I think that is what we are advocating still. 

But Pils and Lagers I reckon you want to be having rainwater/low salt springwater to get the best out of that style....

Then there is the overriding factor of personal taste ; )

Which of course is the most important!

Cheers Paddy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi water geeks! 😜

Being I live in Adelaide, I'm interested in trying some chlorine-free water in my brews. I've used spring water on a few occasions as top up water & felt it helped to produce a slightly nicer beer all round.

I predominantly brew Pale Ales & was reading some literature recently that stated it might be beneficial to use approx. 40% of the water for my brews with non-chlorinated water. Reverse osmosis water, distilled water, or the like. Maybe add a small amount of sulphates to that etc.

I recently spotted the following product & wondered what you guys think. The volume would work very well with my partial mash style of brewing I reckon & for 10L, I thought the cost wasn't overly excessive.

Pureau Ultra Pure Water 10L

Readily available, I thought it might improve my beers slightly with a small chemical addition.

I would be interested in thoughts.

Cheers,

Lusty.

16 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Hi water geeks! 😜Pureau Ultra Pure Water 10L

I reckon rainwater off the roof is pretty good as long as you are not next to an 8-lane highway Lusty...

My memory of drinking that Pureau is that it tastes pretty good...  and I reckon would be worth a try.

As BT notes the ascorbic might help with Chlorine...

But I think the Adelaide water prolly has more than just Chlorine given that every Irrigator on the way down has pumped it in to his paddocks and then let it drain back out again into the Murray so reckon that a cask of Pureau would be worth a try.

Given your level of precision Lusty I reckon it would be definitely worth a go to see how things turn out.

Cheers,

BB

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

Ascorbic acid will help.

I'm aware of it, but how do you apply it, & at what dosage level?

What does it do to chlorinated water specifically?

Hairy put me onto Campden tablets for the removal of chlorine sometime back, & I admit they have helped a lot with minimizing wild yeast related issues & probably the top up water I've used where it was applied. I just don't fully understand the full implications of these water treatments & how best to approach them in my partial mash space.

I'm accepting I can improve my beers to some extent through water quality control & preparation, I'm just unsure of the best way to do it with the way I currently brew.

Cheers,

Lusty.

3 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

I'm aware of it, but how do you apply it, & at what dosage level?

Does something to the chlorine and chloramine, makes it leave? I go a teaspoon in 23 litres for 30 minutes before I heat up my strike water.

Not had an issue since I had issues. I like it better than the campden as it seems less harsh.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ben 10 said:

Does something to the chlorine and chloramine, makes it leave? I go a teaspoon in 23 litres for 30 minutes before I heat up my strike water.

Not had an issue since I had issues. I like it better than the campden as it seems less harsh.

Thanks Ben. 👍

11 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

...and a reduced chance of contracting scurvy...BONUS!! 🤣

Winning. 😁

Cheers,

Lusty.

37 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

I reckon rainwater off the roof is pretty good as long as you are not next to an 8-lane highway Lusty...

Agree, just put a divert on your stormwater (roof) outlet (downpipe) and either have an early flush system or wait a while before collection into a clean fresh water tank.

Always raining in Bris Vegas & Adelaide so you should be easy to do?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Beer Baron said:

What about rainwater from a tank after it has fallen off the roof??

mmmm… guess if there is any water left in the tank after it has fallen off the roof BB1 then it might be worth checking if ok...

Most tanks that have fallen off their rooves in my experience do no longer hold water 😝

image.png.88982496fd02ca463f1f656ec7eeff6b.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, YeastyBoy said:

Agree, just put a divert on your stormwater (roof) outlet (downpipe) and either have an early flush system or wait a while before collection into a clean fresh water tank.

Living on the Coast those brewers ought to get a bit more rain you'd think hey?! 🤨

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, YeastyBoy said:

If you have a rainwater tank you have brewing gold in my opinion. You have a cheap and clean slate for brewing any beer.

Edited by Greeny1525229549
  • Like 1

I would have thought 100% non chlorinated water would be better than 40%... Anyway, simple steps like ascorbic acid or the metabisulphites will remove it without going to the expense of buying water. I don't find the metabisulphite to be terribly harsh unless you breathe it in, but if it's giving off fumes it's pretty much stuffed anyway. I certainly haven't tasted anything weird in my beers since I began treating the water with it, they taste the same as always, just with the non risk of chlorophenols.

Or do what I do and distill all the brewing water. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

If you have a rainwater tank you have brewing gold in my opinion. You have a cheap and clean slate for brewing any beer.

I have 2100L but I wasn’t sure how it would be sitting in the tank for a while with only mesh at the top. I assume small particles would still get in..

• Like 1

Rainwater… it is all I got... unless the drought continues and I hafta buy some in on a water cart 🙁

Mmmm I can buy plastic bottles of Spring Water... but reckon the festive Rain Water is doing a better job in the meantime. 

I sorta think tho if Lusty wanted to experiment with purified water it would be a good and rapid investigation into impact of WQ

...before turning to the more serious methodology of all input water distillation...

Which I do admire your level of rigour Kelsey being able to control all of the 'brewing variables'...

As I noted an age ago - when I very first started with Coopers HB I had double distilled water and a 25 degree room available which made things easier 😝

• 2 months later...