Anyone buy a Guten?

Fergy1987

3 hours ago, Hairy said:

Good stuff Lusty!

You will enjoy it.

Thanks Hairy. It's time.

1 hour ago, The Captain!! said:

Can’t wait Lusty 2.0.

Really looking forward to seeing how you go with this. If I was going the guten 40, I’d also get the therminator.

Thanks Capt. Me too. It should be fun after I screw up a few times first. 🤪

1 hour ago, The Captain!! said:

...Also, thought you said once you’ll never move to all grain, can’t wait for you to start using magnum for bittering. 

Hey, I'm just switching to AG, not losing my mind! 😜

3 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Just buy some cubes.

I'm probably going to buy some cubes. I'll show you how to use them properly Kelsey.  😉 Hehe! 😜

Of all the things I'm looking forward to from the switch, I reckon being able to control fermentability would be the thing I'm looking forward to most.

In a couple of weeks hopefully I've got everything organised & functioning properly for a brew day.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Brewfather also. The features are great, inventory reduction from recipes, recipe grades and brewday features are hard to beat. Oh and the ability to add costs per ingredient to give a per batch cost is pretty cool also

Edited by Norris!
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

4 D-bags above ha ha ha

The one and only BeerSmith for me. It’s much better than anything else on the market. FACT. Ha ha ha ha

Beersmith is only good for lagers.

• Haha 3

On 6/6/2020 at 2:51 PM, Beerlust said:

Have ordered the Guten 40L

The Dark Side tempts all...

Good choice Lusty, I was certainly torn between the Guten and the Brewzilla. May have been more swayed had I known of the goings on previously.

Also, Beersmith for me having tried out a couple of the others.

Edited by NewBrews
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

Beersmith ya knobber.

Congrats on eating your shorts too @Beerlust, hope they tasted okay!!!!!

I'll take that as a welcome to the AG ranks. 😉

It's going to be fun educating folk about how easy it is to chill wort. I might even strain it through some shorts... 😜

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

I'll take that as a welcome to the AG ranks. 😉

It's going to be fun educating folk about how easy it is to chill wort. I might even strain it through some shorts... 😜

Cheers,

Lusty.

24 minutes ago, NewBrews said:

Probably come out the same as cubing 😂

Just joking before you all shoot me!

Well the shorts might aerate it at least 

• Haha 2

Hi all-in-one brewing system guys.

Right now I'm a real newbie with very little knowledge of temp time frames these systems take to reach when shifting through them during a mash & then into a boil etc.

I've watched a few videos, but of those I've watched they don't disclose everything.

1. Do these systems allow for manual control?
2. From mash temp to boil temp, roughly how long does this take?
3. If following a schedule where a rest at a certain temp is required does this take into account the time shift to reach this temp when programming?

Among the videos I've watched so far, there is a woman in Britain that is very popular right now with her videos on certain aspects of home brewing, & I found her instructional videos very helpful as she explained different stages very well, & better than many others I had watched.

I watched a video of hers on the Guten that was extremely helpful but just left out a couple of points regarding time-frames between temp shifts that left me a little unsure of programming procedures in a couple of areas where the temperatures need to shift. 

I would really appreciate hearing from those that understand the breakdowns of programming these automated systems to complete a brew to a finalised wort stage, & the time-frames involved, what is manually required from me in a practical sense, & the programmable settings required for things to run smoothly & accurately.

All thoughts & suggestions welcomed.

Lusty.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

1. Do these systems allow for manual control?

Yes. You can switch from a programmed schedule to manual at anytime or do the whole brewday manual. You can even go from a program schedule to manual and back to a step in the schedule. You will have to start at that step it doesn't save your progress or where you switched to manual. So I can have a program, not like the mash and go to manual for the mash step and pick it up on the mash out if I like or the boil and let the program run and chime for the hop additions.

2. From mash temp to boil temp, roughly how long does this take?

Depends on where you are brewing and recipe but I can generally do the sparge, take off the mash pipe, let it drain some more and add that and it is about at the boil. So about 20 to 25 minutes for a 21 to 23l batch size at 2300 to 2500 power. Sometimes a little quicker. If I mill my grains the night before and set up everything, the brew day takes about 3:45 to 4:30 hours. If I don't do a long mash or mash out and only a 60 min boil or less, a little more than 3 hours, but less than 3:30hours. The mash water will be up to temp before I have my grains weighted out and milled, and so I do the night before, and I have had 2 batches where the mash was up to temp before I had the grains milled with even already weighing them out. The system I use get up to temp and holds it fairly well from what I have seen and experienced. Which isn't a lot of other systems in real life action.

3. If following a schedule where a rest at a certain temp is required does this take into account the time shift to reach this temp when programming?

Yes, even at manual or programmed. If you say I want to do a 60 min mash at 65c and then 75c mash out for 10 min, or whatever, it won't start counting the 60 min or 10 min until it hits the temp. So it is actually a longer mash than 70 min total.

Among the videos I've watched so far, there is a woman in Britain that is very popular right now with her videos on certain aspects of home brewing, & I found her instructional videos very helpful as she explained different stages very well, & better than many others I had watched.

I watched a video of hers on the Guten that was extremely helpful but just left out a couple of points regarding time-frames between temp shifts that left me a little unsure of programming procedures in a couple of areas where the temperatures need to shift. 

I would really appreciate hearing from those that understand the breakdowns of programming these automated systems to complete a brew to a finalised wort stage, & the time-frames involved, what is manually required from me in a practical sense, & the programmable settings required for things to run smoothly & accurately.

All thoughts & suggestions welcomed.

Lusty.

I watch her videos, if you mean, cat or something. She is very informative. I learned to program my system by watching her video on it. If It is the same lady.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very similar to Hairy although i wait to see how quickly my sparge is going. A couple of times i nearly hit the boil before sparge was done. I would run your first 2 brews in manual to get a feel for how your system is performing.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Thanks Norris. 🙂

Very helpful info.

...& yes it is the same woman in the YouTube videos (Daft Cat brewing).

Hopefully I get a call this week from Beerbelly to come & pick the unit up.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Ha, it was that woman's video about the Guten, which got me to get one. 🙂 

I agree with @Norris! Although I want to know how he knocks over a brew day in 3 hours 🙂 I usually start at 9 in the morning and finish by 2 in the afternoon, so about 5 hours. That includes cleaning up, soaking the bits in sodium percarb and filling the kettle with the same to soak overnight. I must say, I do run the Guten at 2200W, not on full power. I'm not even sure full power is possible. 240V on a 10A circuit allows for 2400W, so 2500W might be a little more it can handle. and I have a Bluetooth sound bar attached to the same outlet. So the lower power setting makes things a little slower when heating up but I don't think it makes more than 5-10 minutes overall. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Titan said:

Very similar to Hairy although i wait to see how quickly my sparge is going. A couple of times i nearly hit the boil before sparge was done. I would run your first 2 brews in manual to get a feel for how your system is performing.

I find that the temp of the sparge water stops it from boiling. Any slow sparges I have had have finished with the temp in the mid to high 90's but never hit boiling. Perhaps one day I will learn a lesson.

• Like 1