Coopers Community

Anyone buy a Guten?

Fergy1987

So I realised today that when I finished my last brew I didnt do what all other AG brewers seem to be doing and let the wort settle after the boil.

I turned off the element, threw in my flameout hops for 5mins and then started transferring to the cube. 

How long should I be letting it settle once the boil is finished in the Guten, and if its sitting there for 15mins or something when do you throw in the flameout hops?

Are there any issues with the temps dropping too low for no chill if its just sitting there settling.

39 minutes ago, Fergy1987 said:

So I realised today that when I finished my last brew I didnt do what all other AG brewers seem to be doing and let the wort settle after the boil.

I turned off the element, threw in my flameout hops for 5mins and then started transferring to the cube. 

How long should I be letting it settle once the boil is finished in the Guten, and if its sitting there for 15mins or something when do you throw in the flameout hops?

Are there any issues with the temps dropping too low for no chill if its just sitting there settling.

After flameout, give it a good stir to get a nice whirlpool going, then throw in your hops and let it sit for about 20 minutes for the solids to settle in a nice cone at the bottom of the kettle, then transfer to the cube. That's what I used to do and it worked a treat. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Another Guten question for all you Guten lovers. 

Stirring the grain during the mash? Yes? No?

Alot of people saying that giving the mash a stir every 15 mins or so improves efficiency.....Should I be doing this, or just going to cause more potential problems like stuck mash etc.

Edited by Fergy1987
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Fergy1987 said:

Another Guten question for all you Guten lovers. 

Stirring the grain during the mash? Yes? No?

Alot of people saying that giving the mash a stir every 15 mins or so improves efficiency.....Should I be doing this, or just going to cause more potential problems like stuck mash etc.

I don't stir. I did leave the top screen off for a few batches and did the occasional stir but then I thought the top screen is there for a reason and with it on, I couldn't stir anyway, so there's probably no need. I guess it makes sense if you have a lot of grain or a "sticky" mash, when you feel during dough in that it is hard to stir. 

• Like 1